Urban Outfitters T-Shirt promotes Pro-Ana Movement

It seems “eating less” is cool these days according to Urban Outfitters. I guess it’s their hip and trendy response to the whole “obesity crisis” but perhaps they should ponder the repercussions of placing this shirt in their stores modeled by a pale skinny chick (that kind of looks stoned).

Irresponsible as hell.

On their web site, this is how they describe the product;

“Eat less or more or however much you’d like in this seriously soft knit tee cut long and topped with a v-neck.” Perhaps they should have printed all of that on there.

Whatever.

Fortunately, as of 9:15pm, the shirt was removed from the site according to HuffPost

And what do you know, 50 minutes ago Urban Outfitters pulled it from the stores.

The wonderful world of the web, such power huh?

– mamaV

Image: Urban Outfitters

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Media Madness, Thinspiration and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Urban Outfitters T-Shirt promotes Pro-Ana Movement

1. Tegan says:

I find it really funny how everyone is getting up in arms about this. Promotes pro ana my arse

It’s such a shame it’s been pulled.
    I’d wear it.
    I think it’s funny.

Maybe you just need to have a certian sence of humor to wear stuff like this

• mamaV says:

Hi Tegan: I appreciate your point of view, can you explain it further? Why is this funny?

• Tegan says:

I don’t know, maybe funny is the wrong word but I don’t see why it’s such a big issue.

I have a shirt from topshop which says ‘love my bones’ is that consided ‘pro ana’ too?
        Either way I love it and to me it’s stupid the contervisy (sp) surounding it.

I can’t really explain it further, I mean explain why you like certain things, why do you like your favorite pair of jeans? You just do, same with me and this top.

2. Lamdas says:

Controversy aside…..

She is a very pretty woman.

3. Nickkei says:

I was scared for all the girls that would see that shirt until I read it was pulled from their stores and taken off their site. In today’s society with it pressuring girls so much to be thin and beautiful they don’t need added pressure with irresponsible sayings like eat less on a t-shirt.

4. amber says:

oh my go..you know how i feel about how people get offended easily, but this is just stupidity…who do they think they’re marketing this too?!? yeah maybe the pro anas would want one but half of them are teens who can’t perches them online, which is where you’ll find them cus i doubt anyone wants this stupid shirt in their store and they DO get to pick the merch first hand,but they’re such a small percentage of consumers…this is befuddling.

5. Araea says:

Although, I can see how some might find this shirt offensive or just another wearable piece of thinspo, it’s really just a shirt. If you are going to buy the shirt chances are you already have some form of body image issues and if you are not going to buy the shirt, why does it bother you? For the longest time, Journeys and a variety of other stores were selling a shirt that said “Please do not feed the models”. After selling a bunch, they switched the shirt to say “Please feed the models”. I kinda think there are deeper problems then proana’s buying a shirt that says “eat less”. Maybe we should try to understand why they want a shirt that says “Eat less”. Just a thought…

6. jesuschrist says:

Seriously? This shirt promotes eating disorders?

Should I call the police when I see somebody wearing a “I like you, I’ll kill you last” shirt?

Or actually run and get some chocolate to “dip me in” and “feed me to the lesbians”?

Or drop my knickers and “fcuk” the guy in the smart white tee?

Fashion is often irreverent and humourous and it is at it’s best when it is entirely and ironically self-aware.

7. a bit of human decency? says:

Hey all – Speaking as a 20-year-old college student in recovery (for the past year) from anorexia nervosa,

Just wanted to say, I find the idea of “pro-ana” (is there an “anti-ana?”) fucking ridiculous. Anorexia is an Eating DISORDER, which is classified in the DSM and unlike many other disorders, must be treated mentally and physically. Anorexic girls and women “EAT LESS” and exercise to the point where the body is literally EATING UP muscle, bone and brain tissue because there is not fat left. Pulse and blood pressure becomes dangerously low, and a significant portion of girls/women DIE. Others become menopausal in their teens and/or get osteoperosis.

Anorexia requires treatment in a hospital/clinic, and many people spend huge chunks of their lives in and out of clinics thanks to shitty insurance policies that throw them out before they have the desire to recover. I have been there and seen it.

So while this shirt is not “pro-ana”, it WILL have an extremely negative effect on teenage girls (and older women) with terrible body image who constantly tell themselves they are fat and hideous.
    SO to all those ignorant bastards who think its okay to tell girls to “eat less,” I hope you can find the human decency to take your “Fashion” and shove it up your trendy, clueless arses.

8. Sarah says:

I usually agree with most postings on your site, but I think this shirt was just quoting Joe Strummer from the Clash.

9. Jessi says:

It really annoys me when people get up in arms over innocent things. A t-shirt that says ‘eat less’ is not going to make someone anorexic and thinking that it does is down to an individual’s interpretation, perhaps their eating disordered interpretation, of the words. If this t-shirt should be removed then obviously the picture of the cows holding a sign that reads ‘eat more chicken’ should be banned because it promotes eating more in the middle of obesity crisis. Alternatively people could stop being so sensitive and take things as they are intended.