Will the real Demi Moore please step forward.

Photoshop madness is in style as of late, and I have to admit I can’t get enough of it.

Partially because I love to see the fashion mags get busted, but also because, as in this example, I think the REAL image looks one hell of a lot better than the avatar version.

Case in point;

Demi Moore as a pore-free-wrinkle-free avatar

Demi Moore the natural beauty (kinda) who snagged a husband a few decades her junior. Sorry, but I gotta say she looks waayyy better as HERSELF.

Who is with me?

BTW, Ashton Kutcher happened to post his wife’s image on twitter, and somebody discovered it was the actual image used for this photoshoot, view here.

So, at the end of the day what do we learn here, why the hell do we even give a rip?

I’d say its because I am on a mission to show young women how unbelievably deceived they are. I mean, back in my modeling days it was bad, but now, it is just plain, what should I say, imaginary. A graphic depiction of a human that bears very little resemblance in features, skin tone, or expression — all the unique aspects of a person striped away in order to give us some creepy perfume ad that tells us this is what is “wanted.”

Load of crap my friends, total and complete load of crap.

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Fake Beauty, Photo Shop Disasters and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Will the real Demi Moore please step forward.

1. SO with you. The avatar moniker particularly resonates. Spot on. And like you, I’m coming at this topic ‘from the inside out’ of industry madness…

Seems we’ve both been on parallel paths blogging this nutso stuff since 2006 (tho Shaping Youth is more about the trickle down impact on KIDS e.g. http://ow.ly/ZmIu

Ironically I was just lambasted by a self-defined GenY guy that sees ‘absolutely nothing wrong’ with sexualizing kids via brands and thought I was ‘out of touch and bitter’ finding fault w/that link. wow. Long way to go.

Wonder what he’d say about this one: http://bit.ly/7FqJ5k ugh. Onward!

p.s. Let’s talk about cross-posting relevant blog content? Would love to be a contributor and vice-versa, send any of your writers my way to amplify w/topical youth focus…

2. Kat says:

It actually even looks like they did not only give her a new skincolor but also did photoshop her make up.
    This is… well insane..I suppose.

3. anonymous says:

I agree that the natural image is more flattering, but seriously… she is selling perfume for God’s sake. Of course they are going to do her up. At least she doesn’t look emaciated or unhealthy. It’s like you are never satisfied.

I suppose that movie stars should go to the Golden Globes in their sweat suits because God forbid they wear some make up. You make it sound that wanting to look your best is a sin. I don’t condone doing all the stuff that MTV Heidi chick did with the plastic surgery, that’s extreme and uncessary. But, I don’t think this is that bad.

• mamaV says:

Well, anonomous you are in a MOOD.

No, I am never satisfied. I make it a priority to point this crap out because its important. Important because I know first hand how this brainwashes a person, and reading community comments over the past 4+ years tells me these images do have an impact.

I’m wearing makeup as we speak. Looking your best is part of self esteem. Looking like an avatar is kinda different story don’t you think?

Finally your statement “I don’t thing this is THAT bad.” Ok, note taken but remember your view is not the world view.

Don’t like it? Bye,bye.

4. anonymous says:

I guess I just come from a different perspective having worked on the business side of this for many years knowing that this is what they do.

I am anti-distorting people to look thinner like they did with- I think it was Carrie Underwood? One of the American Idol chicks, I think. I forget which one. I don’t like all the underweight stuff and super skinny models being portrayed as an ideal. But when it comes to advertising and selling a beauty product, they are going to make people more glamourous looking than what they may look like at 7AM or 10PM. It’s just the way it is, and you don’t accept it. Is it fair? Probably not. Is it troublesome? Less so to me than you, because I get why they do this. It’s $.

I understand why it disturbs people and they have the right to comment on it and speak out about if they choose. But what they don’t understand is that the mast majority of the people photo shopping these pictures really don’t care.

• mamavision says:

Hi Anonomous: But remember, we aren’t talking to the “vast majority of people here,” this blog is aimed at individuals who are influenced by these things.

It is great that you aren’t particularly since you work in the business. Just curious then, why do you read the blog? What type of stories do you like hearing about?

5. cuileann says:

Seriously, the natural pic is so much better.

6. Sarah says:

Thanks for post this. While both photos are beautiful, one is clearly a lie! No wonder there is a standard set for women that we can never meet. I want to see real women in magazines, not a computer image.

• anonymous says:

I actually don’t work in the industry anymore. I switched to finance. And in truth, the Devil Wears prada was not the best place for me.

But not working there anymore did give me some distance, perspective, and reflection.

Once I left, I learned to be less aggrivated by the influence of Fashion Models and Movie Stars dictating my life. Perhaps working there may have numbed me to the situation. It’s anyone’s guess.

But long after I left that industry, I still relapsed with my anorexia, developed a seizure disorder, and almost had to be re-hospitlaized. Since there is not a fashion magazine in my house, I can’t blame it on skinny models. I realy resent that people on here have misundertood that while I choose not to purchase these magazines, that means I live in a bubble. So not true.

I’m doing really well now and the reasons for my relapse are too complex to get into on here. As far as asking me what type of stories I like hearing about?

I like hearing stories about people w/ eating issues/body issues who are taking charge of their health and not looking to the media as a role model to base themselves on.

7. amber says:

when we can alter an image so drastically why do we even have makeup women, why do models have to starve themselves when we can take care of their “imperfections” so easily?? i feel like im taking crazy pills!

8. anonymous says:

This is why I stay away from these things. Trying to make sense of it is usless in debating. I never conscisously pay attention to this hoopla because I don’t think that it will ever change completely.

As much as I disagree with it, I’ve come to accept it.

I really don’t seek out images of thin or altered photoshopped models and let it determine my image of myself.

In fact, the only time my attnetion to the subjuct is alerted to it is on here.

You have asked me in the past why I even bother commenting on it- My answer is because I think focusing on this stuff is counter-productive, fueling a fire that may never be put out, and deflects attenttion to people with ED taking responsibility for their own recovery.

Recovery isn’t easy. It’s damn hard, but it’s your responsibility at the end of the day. I don’t see how people while in recovery or not paying attention to altered images of women is helpful.

• amber says:

as a recovering anorexic i think your so completely full of crap. if i wasn’t mentally stable, if i let these things phase me, why would i come to heathers blog? my responsibility is to get better- not to hide from photo shoped pictures and if it’s my prerogative to complain, i am going to! NOTHING gets changed if we stand by. i have plenty of responsibility for my actions, thats why i don’t starve myself whenever i see print adds. if this is to much of a trigger for you, no ones making you come here. i took a LONG leave of absence when i couldn’t deal with the triggers, and i got over them and came back. no one comes here to find thinspo, so chillax.

9. Tammy_VIP says:

Oh my GOD MamaV I bloody love you. I have a dear, darling friend who has been hospitalised for a year with anorexia, I have trawled through pages and pages and site and sites of thinspo, tips, bones and agony and it has broken my heart in two, time and again. I feel compelled to look at the horrors, yet repulsed. I have cried a near on bloody flood of tears for my mate and every other poor mite. And now I stumble on your site and I feel I can breathe a little easier, even though I know you can’t even scrape the surface. Keep doing what you’re doing. YOU are indeed a true inpsiration. x

10. Tammy says:

I was wondering why my comment got deleted? Did I say something out of turn? Apolgies if so.

11. anonymous says:

It seems I am going around in circles. These images don’t trigger me at all- not in the slightest or affect my ED. Nor am I again telling people that things they see should not bother them. Nor am I saying that people should live in a bubble. I am talking about people with Ed who go around and actively seek these images out as a way to compare themselves to as an ideal. I don’t think that’s healthy. And I don’t think that everyone with an eating disorder does actively seek them out, and I am not saying you do. But a lot do. I have known people (not me) who cut these pictures out who know they shouldn’t be doing this that tape them on their walls to aspire to look like them.

It’s one thing to complain about how the media handles this stuff, it’s another to live by it. And I just don’t think that all over it will ever completely change, so I don’t see how it is really helpful to advertise such things to people who think this is what they should look like.

The media is not a help, but remember, that eating disorders are psychiatric complex disorders, and often, there is a great deal more that causes one to get into that state than pictures in magazines. I guess my issue is that it would just be nice to hear on here more about people’s life experiences- family issues, childhood traumas, peer pressure, whatever, and how they triggered their eating disorders rather than always focusing on the media.

But if that’s the direction that she chooses to go in, that’s fine. But I think a little bit more variety and sharing things about people’s life experiences could add a lot on here. That’s all. I am not full of crap, calling everyone mentally unstable, and pro mia or pro ana. But for those who are, maybe this stuff isn’t so good to focus on ALL the time. This is just how I feel, and you are entitled to how you feel too. But I don’t see how touching on other angles that affect eating disorders once in awhile could hurt.

12. Tom R. says:

If you wanna see how they get to that point and beyond, you could watch this vid put out by the Dove Beauty Campaign.

13. Usefull facts written on your blog, most I agree with. Recall seeing a similar blog which I will try to post. I will bookmark ofcourse I await your next insightful article