Best eating disorder blog

I am way too pretty to do homework, how about you?

2 Sep

I am too pretty to do homework so my brother does it for me.“I’m to pretty to do homework, so my brother does it for me.”

This is the tagline sprawled on a “back to school” t-shirt for girls sold at JCPenney. No, I’m serious, this is a real shirt sold in the United States of America in 2011.

I mean seriously people, WTF is wrong with this country?

Who in the hell comes up with this crap? Was it a man or woman? A mother perhaps? And then, who were the JcPenney BUYERS that went for it. What about the stock people that put it out on the shelves. They only all caved due to pressure from the almighty Twitterverse (us, a band of users who cry holy hell until they give)

And finally, I would LOVE to see the parent and/or grandparent who actually purchased this offensive rag. There’s got to be a handful of girls who strutted into school this week, hair all curled up, makeup slathered on, booty shakin’ just the way mama taught her.

How cute and sassy.

Oh, and here is another one that has not been pulled. I guess it’s not offensive enough. Boys and Music and Shopping Tshirt for girls

This really, really bugs me guys. It’s probably because my daughter is 11 years old, and she is so awesome. The kid just amazes me, and it scares me to think about girls who have demented mothers or fathers who would purchase this shirt and allow their dear child to wear it. How would my girl feel about herself if she didn’t have a mom that is always making her aware of how screwed up fashion and media is? Would she be a different person than she is today?

I remember thinking that maybe because I am so passionate about these topics that I would screw her up by talking about it too much, or saying the wrong thing, or exposing her to stuff she is too young to understand. No worries on that, not a one. The key is talking, being open, making all of this a regular part of life conversation — and, without a doubt, being a shining example. An example of how to dress, act, be, believe, think, breathe and see the world.

Many of you ask me “don’t you sometimes just want to give up on all this?” — I always say “No, never, it’s not hopeless, change is coming slowly,” but today, right now, I feel like we are taking gigantic steps backwards into the sewer and the vast majority of girls have zero chance of turning out healthy and happy because the reality is that society doesn’t respect them. Society sure as hell doesn’t respect women as a whole.

Man we’ve go a long way to go girls,

mV

11 Responses to “I am way too pretty to do homework, how about you?”

1. Ashley 02. Sep, 2011 at 11:14 pm #

I definitely hear you. A small part of me thought, ‘It’s just a shirt.’ But wait, is it just a shirt? Then I realized that if us adults were wearing a shirt like that or something similar, it would be as a total joke, but this particular shirt was for kids, who are more impressionable.

When I was 13, my mom would drop me off at the mall for an hour or two with birthday money or any allowance that I had. At the time, sayings on little girls shirts were popular, things like “Angel” and “Princess.” One time I came home with a shirt that said “Spoiled Brat” and my mom raised and eyebrow and said, “But you’re not a spoiled brat,” which I understood because we didn’t have a ton of money to go around. She questioned the shirt and I replied with ‘It’s just a shirt.’ She rolled her eyes at it, but didn’t take it away from me. I didn’t wear the shirt except two times before I realized it was indeed a dumb shirt.

Then at 17, I bought a shirt that said “Skinny Bitch” and this was mainly due to a lot of backlash I got for being really thin, but naturally so. A teacher commented harshly on my figure and I was pissed. I found the shirt a week or so after and I wore it to school. It sure did create quite a stir among those who ever felt the need to be “concerned” with my thinness, and I meant it to. By lunch I was called to the office and ordered to turn it inside out because they had a rule against wearing curse words of course. I figured they would have sent me home for the day so I was a little surprised that they didn’t. But that time, I was 17 and I knew exactly was I was doing with wearing that shirt, although it probably still wasn’t the right thing to do, but at 17 of course I was more about vengeance than doing the right thing.

An 11 year is wearing too pretty to do homework is different. I would hope that parents realized that buying that was a poor choice on their part.

• mamaV 03. Sep, 2011 at 10:51 am #

Hi Ashley: Your story is awesome. Its a perfect example of how fashion and attitudes pursuade us.

I remember when I started modeling and I read about how fashion trends start in big cities and then migrate throughout the country. This is saying that values of big city life eventually become the norm.

Who made it cool to be a “spoiled brat?”
      I think of the reality shows were parents spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their teenage daughters birthday party.

Where do we see beauty being held to the highest esteem over brains?
      One word- HOLLYWOOD

Since when is bitch a cool thing to be?
      I caved to this as well since in business if you are smart you are a bitch so I figured I should embrace the term rather than fight it. I think this is why I STILL always talk about not caring what others think at age 42 since I am still fighting it!

Thanks again for your really well thought out comments, you sound like you have a great head on your shoulders Ashley. Don’t underestimate yourself.
      Love,
      mamaV XOXOXOXO

2. Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) 04. Sep, 2011 at 4:51 am #

I think a lot of parents feel that t-shirts like this are “cute” and “not a big deal,” as if the message being sent is not going to seep into the lives of their young girls. Yet the reality is that slowly, over time, messages like this DO seep in & girls start to believe it as fact & then their action follow suit.

It makes me angry and sad to see stuff like this on the market for such young impressionable minds. What in the world is it going to take for retailers and parents to really see the impact in items the shirts above?

You continue to make a difference mamaV. Keep speaking your mind and bringing awareness to such important societal issues!

Oh and Ashley – great comment and perspective! I appreciate your words.

• mamaV 08. Sep, 2011 at 11:53 am #

Thanks for the support Brittnie, I always need reminders that this stuff matters — and people like you are listening and thinking about these issues.

You know, as a mother of an 11 year old daughter, I am kind of like “How the heck could you NOT understand that purchasing a shirt such as this for your daughter is a bad move?”

So obvious,
      mamaV
      XO

3. jalynn 04. Sep, 2011 at 5:21 am #

I was so sad when I saw that on yahoos news feed the other day- the picture of the shirt. I thought oh its a joke? No.. I mean why would anyone buy that..yet thinking on it, sadly it doesn’t surprise me.. I see little kids dressed in clothes that I really wonder why the parent wants them dressed like they are 15-16 when they are 4-5. To the point they can’t play properly or safe on the playground or run or.. Well be 4-5. No I’m not saying all children or anything I’m just saying it starts so young and trickles down to so much of how they see and treat themselves and the world around them- attitude, respect, compassion for others, etc.I’ve had talks with others and they argue well its what they love- dressing this way- its so cute they are only little once. True so that’s why I think what you said is so key Mamav your sweet girl has a awesome truth and foundation of knowledge that’s a gift the world of such t-shirts could never snatch away! Much respect and love for all you do!

• mamaV 08. Sep, 2011 at 12:01 pm #

Hi Jalynn: You verbalized this issue so well, particularly the part about how these types of attitudes worn and shown off really on clothing ends up impacting how kids treat others. I wasn’t able to articulate this so thank you!

Also, your comment about parents saying “that’s how they like to dress” is just silly and irresponsible. There is a line that a parent has to draw. I wore half tops off the shoulder and skin tight jeans — but I didn’t have my thong sticking out the back and total cleavage pushed in everyone’s face you know?

A few years back, I went to this really cool girls presentation (it was religious based so I was a bit weary of this)where they spoke about modesty.

Modesty. What a concept?

The one point that really stuck with me and my daughter was to wear cami’s underneath tanks and other lower cut clothing so they are not so revealing (particularly when you raise your arms and your whole stomach, side and back flashes everyone. My daughter and I started doing this, and I feel really good about it. They taught me something about how to be fashionable, but keep it classy. More importantly how to be aware of how your clothing impacts how people perceive you.

Anyway, kind of off the point, but anyway — thanks!!
      mV
      XO

4. Ziska 08. Sep, 2011 at 1:46 am #

I’m with Ashley. At first I thought “just a shirt” but it’s just so depressing that these kinds of messages get packaged in cute pink frilly glittery clothes and shoved down girls throats. I spent much of my childhood trying to be perceived as less smart by my peers because of course to kids smart girls can’t be pretty and that’s all I wanted. So after spending all school day trying to play dumb and pretty I’d go home and cry because I only got a 90 on an assignment, which proved I wasn’t smart enough anyway and still would never be pretty enough. It’s sad that nothing’s changed in adulthood :( These types of shirts and the attitudes they represent need to go away because it feels like little kids don’t stand a chance in the world.

• mamaV 08. Sep, 2011 at 12:06 pm #

Hi Zizka: Don’t give up hope! YOU control the thoughts in your head, and you can change them to be positive and productive.

What is “pretty enough” anyway?
      What is “smart enough?”

The next time you get down on yourself and the voices in your head are saying you are not good enough — think about the expectations you place on yourself, and ask “do you place the same expectations on others? Why are you so hard on yourself?”

Keep on truckin’ and don’t give up faith for change!
      mamaV
      XO

5. christine 12. Sep, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

I saw the shirt and immediately thought of this Barbie “math class is hard”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NO0cvqT1tAE That got pulled after outrage.

here’s another story for you – this is the kind of parent that would buy that shirt.

6. Allison Rocks 21. May, 2013 at 4:54 am #

Most JCPenney stores are located in suburban shopping malls. Before 1966, most of its stores were located in downtown areas. As shopping malls became more popular in the latter half of the 20th century, JCPenney followed the trend by relocating and developing stores to anchor the malls. In more recent years, the chain has continued to follow consumer traffic, echoing the retailing trend of opening some standalone stores, including some next door to competitors. Certain stores are located in power centers. The company has been an Internet retailer since 1998.,;`^

Bye