Best eating disorder blog

Death Camp Chic Mannequins at Gap

22 Aug

Found this lovely pic on BoingBoing, creepy headless mannequins at Gap. Saggy leggings on anorexic frames. “Always Skinny” branding makes this even more sick.

How exactly are we supposed to be normal with this influence in our face 24/7?

Gap Always Skinny Pants

20 Responses to “Death Camp Chic Mannequins at Gap”

1. Ashley 22. Aug, 2011 at 1:12 pm #

How is this promoting healthy self-image among tweens and teenagers? This is quite terrible :(

2. Emma 22. Aug, 2011 at 3:17 pm #

That looks ‘shopped to me.

• mamaV 25. Aug, 2011 at 7:48 pm #

Nope….u can go to your local gap and check it out.

• Siobhan C. Reardon 24. Dec, 2011 at 10:03 pm #

It’s definitely been photo-shopped, and very poorly. Check out the jagged right (from the viewer’s vantage point) thigh.

• jenna 18. Jan, 2012 at 9:38 pm #

I agree. GAP uses standard mannequins (which are actually pretty thin, but that’s a separate issue) but this picture is fake.

3. Mabe 22. Aug, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

I need help:’(don’t know what to do anymore.Don’t know how much longer i’d take it……….

4. BK 23. Aug, 2011 at 12:17 am #

This is very very scary. I can’t believe they can get away with signs like “always skinny” and emaciated mannequins.

5. myowndisaster1 23. Aug, 2011 at 1:00 am #

I love the Gap! :) Though, I do agree, the mannequin is quite skinny-looking. But, honestly, does it really matter? I appreciate you and I love what you’re doing but do you ever feel as though it is all hopeless? I have had an eating disorder for 7 years.. and in those 7 years, I’ve found that no one really cares. No one cares. So why should I? People know about my eating disorder and they say they don’t like it, they say it makes them sad… but they don’t try to stop me. And I know they shouldn’t, and probably couldn’t anyway, but it would be nice to know that someone cared enough to try…. especially when they’re asking you to give up the only thing that has always been there.

• mamaV 25. Aug, 2011 at 8:35 pm #

Hi Myowndisaster: Let’s start with the most important part– you. The fact that you feel like no one cares is likely not true but let’s pretend that it is. So there you are on this earth for some reason only god knows and you’ve got a decision to make: do you want to live or not?

No one can or will stop you and after 7 years you and I both know you are going to do what you want to do- right?

You need to find a reason to care about yourself because if you don’t you will stay stuck in the hell zone. You need to look outside of yourself and find your purpose and passion, we all have it but we need to open our eyes to find it.

In regards to feeling like these efforts are hopeless– not gonna happen. I am in for the long haul because I know in my heart THIS matters.

Love–mv
      XOXO

• jenna 18. Jan, 2012 at 9:46 pm #

Did you ever think of taking any action to help any of these people with anything in their lives?

6. Brittnie (A Joy Renewed) 23. Aug, 2011 at 4:03 am #

While I am assuming the “always skinny” sign is a play on the popular trend of skinny jeans/pants, I agree that this is a very sad visual for shoppers – at any age. I wish retailers would understand the true power behind the messages they send on a daily basis. While some might not even notice this silly mannequin/sign, it has the potential to be quite detrimental to others .

7. Jamie 02. Sep, 2011 at 7:20 pm #

I just don’t understand the point of using rail-thin mannequins… like why not just put the clothes on metal hangers and hang them there? That’s about as skinny as it gets. So why even bother trying to make it look like an unrealistic human shape? I suppose it appeals to people since skinny is the ideal… but that is just insane.

8. Ziska 08. Sep, 2011 at 1:49 am #

I’ve seen bad mannequins but this is the worst. I pulled out my sickest picture and compared and even at my worst I was still way fatter. I know I shouldn’t compare myself to a piece of plastic and I don’t think I should have been released from IP yet because I don’t feel stable at all right now :(

9. gabi 11. Sep, 2011 at 3:30 pm #

ok so usually i think you go over the top with some stuff and blah blah blah cant reallybearsedtogointoit…. but.thats.just.wrong.on.every.level,possible. In london i generally tend to think the gap is kind of shit, so i havent shopped there since i was 12, but if they have those mannequines here i am so saying something. WRONG!

10. Kayaltymume 05. Nov, 2011 at 11:33 am #

Hi!
    Re-twit you post: to my @urciibqo twitter

11. Sally 17. Dec, 2011 at 8:03 pm #

I’m naturally super thin & I see nothing wrong with this. Some stores have plus-sized mannequins, so why can’t they display super thin ones. Now a days it seems like being thin is a crime. That’s just as ignorant as saying that plus-sized mannequins are unethical. -.-

12. Randy 17. Dec, 2011 at 8:14 pm #

Perhaps people SHOULD have brands such as “Always Skinny” shoved in their faces. With obesity and morbid obesity statistics getting worse every day (especially in children), maybe people need a little tough love from advertisers so they can wake up to how bad their lifestyle choices are and how badly they’re impacting themselves and their CHILDREN. People are complaining that having thin mannequins makes it harder for people to be “normal.” All I can say is, if you’re obese or morbidly obese, YOU’RE NOT NORMAL. It isn’t even a matter of being normal or abnormal. People who are abnormal a lot of the time end up being innovators. This is a matter of HEALTH. I would rather have fashion mannequins and advertisers encouraging people to be thin rather than encouraging people to think that being overweight/fat/obese is “normal.”

• Siobhan C. Reardon 24. Dec, 2011 at 10:09 pm #

@Randy: Thesis, antithesis, synthesis. There shouldn’t be EITHER dangerously emaciated OR morbidly obese. Healthy is somewhere in between the extremes, and too few of us have any idea what it looks like. We need more representations of healthy bodies in the media and advertising worlds (and, most importantly, in the “real” world).

13. tracy 30. Sep, 2012 at 2:21 pm #

i have seen maniquins exactly like this….they are not “shopped”…and every time i walk by one i think to myself, “Is that the way i am supposed to look?”…and i want to look that way.