Thanks to SS for keeping me abreast of this story over the past week. I contemplated writing about this dude, but didn’t because I figured it was a waste of breath, and less publicity would make him go away faster. But todays turn of events just made this story worth my time.

Kenneth Tong, wearing what appears to be a Rosary around his neck (either that or a pearl necklace which may be a fashion statement) spent the last week firing up the Twitter-sphere with a “hoax” pro-anorexia site or as he likes to call it ‘managed anorexia.”

Tong claims the site was simply a bet. A bet with a friend to try and become a “trending topic” on Twitter in less than a week (because he loves a challenge!) Tong figured the topic “pro-anorexia” would do the trick, so he started tweeting deranged commentary that unfortunately most of us are quite used to such as;

“”To be thinner, skip dinner. Anorexia is not evil, it is an often mismanaged blessing. Yadda, yadda, yadda”

Sorry gang, but in my world, what is the big deal? Proanorexia sites are EVERYWHERE. I have been screaming this from the rooftops for, let’s see, 5 years now and for some reason this dude awoke the masses to this topic. I guess I need to make it a joke for anyone to pay attention. In a sense, I guess I am glad this is happening because maybe some parents will start googling proana and thinspo to get a seriously painful reality check.

Ok, now I am fired up.

To Tong:

Enjoy your 15 minutes. Oh, actually, my watch says its over already. Do ten Hail Marys and disappear.

To the public that is blowing a gasket over this:

Please keep freaking out, check out what our girls are doing, and thinking, and feeling, and saying — and then DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, instead of going, “Oh well, that’s scary!”

This is beyond just a little trend, one that floats in and out in a blink of an eye. I think the first Pro ana site was live around 2003 (correct me if I am wrong) and at this point there is really no stopping them.

In case you are not aware, I am not in favor of removing Pro Ana sites. Free speech is free speech, plus sticking our heads in the sand is not the answer to this societal problem.

I am in favor of waking up parents to the reality that OBESITY has shifted the spotlight so far away from eating disorders, those on the way other side of the spectrum, which happen to also be the most deadly, so we need to address this.

Ok, I’m tired of typing. I’ll close with totally in related story, but I feel like telling it.

True story;  A 10 year old boy is told by his female gym teacher that “the goal for the semester is to lose weight.” The gym teacher denies this statement, but several other children validate the truth of the matter. Nice blanket statement to a group of 5th graders who by no means are in need of losing weight, particularly as some sort of group project.

What in the world are we doing people? Food has become this enemy on such a level that it really scares me.  But it doesn’t scare me so much that I’ll give up this fight. I’ll keep writing about eating disorders as long as I know that at least one person took something positive away from a post.

Keep on truckin,

mV

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Media Madness, Pro Anorexia and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Pro Anorexia “Hoax” — Ex Big Brother star Kenneth Tong has way too much time on his hands.

1. Ziska says:

Sad to say, I doubt it was a hoax or bet. Sounds like a lot of backpeddling, especially since it came out after his interview with Johann Hari. He sounds a lot like somebody in my life, somebody who prefers me sick. Sadly there are people out there who really do think these things.

2. jalynn says:

I just wanna say thanks for your blog! I really appreciate you!!

3. AitchCS says:

A UK journalist did an interview with him, and it was not a hoax.

4. Patricia says:

Hi MamaV! Thanks for posting this! When I first heard about it, I was so irate at how unthoughtful a person could be. Eating disorders are serious and what Kenneth Tong did was very dangerous. I had signed a petition to get him kicked off Twitter, but I don’t think Twitter will do anything, especially now that it was a “hoax.” Some people have no sense of social responsibility.

• john says:

Frankly, that’s retarded. Signing the petition, I mean. If the only way to help someone is through restricting freedom of speech so as they won’t be influenced by the rhetoric of others, they don’t deserve help. And you, if the only way for you to fulfill your childlike sense of outrage towards the perceived ignorance and insensitivity of others is to sign a petition, well then, you might as well consign yourself to the filing cabinet labeled “Pussy-ass bitches”.

Now, I am by no means pro-ana. In psychiatric circles, anorexia has long been agreed upon as a serious and debilitating mental condition. That said, societal demands are inescapable. That’s why, while I feel sorry for people with anorexia, I hate fat people more. To clarify, I hate fat people who claim to be “proud” of their layers of unsightly lard, and who make excuses that amount to “I’m right, and society is wrong”. Which is, of course, a wholly erroneous statement, as it assumes that “right” and “wrong” are applicable concepts in the context of societal standards. What it is though, is essentially the same sad, pathetic excuse used anyone who can’t come to terms with reality.
      Be a badass.

• John says:

* used by anyone who can’t come to terms with reality.
        It’s two sides of a spectrum. On the one hand, you have the poor-body-image-resolved-by-up-by-intense-and-frequent-rationalization fat people, and on the other hand, you have poor-body-image-resolved-by-not-eating-food anorexics. Both of these come from an unhealthy mental fixation on societal standards. And while it’s true that these standards are inescapable unless you were raised in the hinterlands by a pack of wolves, one can still come to terms with reality. It’s the best thing to do, and the only way to maintain a balanced, mentally and physically healthy lifestyle.
        Ultimately, the best kind of body is a healthy, vigorous one. That should always be a top priority. Where you want to go from there is up to you, but the first step, and the hardest, is mustering up the courage and willpower to get out of life what you really want, and not give in to laziness and inertia. Self-respect and feeling good about yourself doesn’t just magically manifest from motivational speeches or comforting words. It takes time, pain, energy, and perseverance.

5. Charlotte says:

Hi Mamavision,

I’d just like to say what you’re doing (raising awareness) is fantastic and you should be proud of yourself going to such time, effort and lengths to produce this website as a resource for parents and children out there.. I really enjoy watching your Youtube video on Pro-Anorexia websites because it’s truthful. It’s exactly what young girls need so that they can change their thought patterns about having perfect bodies like models.

6. Angela says:

SICK & TIRED of seeing people who think that anorexia is purely vanity driven and all anorexic sufferers want is to be skinny and fashionable because they are vain and stupid.
    My Mum thought like this for years- until the day i was hospitalised with anorexia.
    Me -one of the healthiest, strongest and most active kids you would ever meet- someone you would NEVER expect to become anorexic because i was

“sporty, a tomboy!! Not a stupid, immature & vain little girl at all!! i would never be so selfish as to get wrapped up in thoughts of only myself!!”

But i fell completely and utterly into eating disorder, and it nearly killed me.
    “Pro-ana” is an illness instilled by the media and other social pressures.
    Anorexia is NOT “pro-ana”.
    They are 2 DIFFERENT illnesses.
    From my experience, i don’t believe a person with anorexia could ever encourage another person to hurt themselves in any way- especially by an eating disorder. An anorexic person feels intense guilt about his/her very existence. This guilt is insatiable and CANNOT be negated without years of physical/psychological treatment (even then they may not recover). It is this guilt which literally eats the sufferer alive.
    Anorexics are terrified of having an impact on other people, they:
    just
    want
    to be.
    INVISIBLE.
    So how could a person who feels like this,
    turn around and publicly post negative, triggering videos, blogs etc. which aim to entice people towards their own death?!
    It just doesn’t make sense!

An anorexic person is no more “pro-ana” than a “pro-ana” person is anorexic.

As i define it, anorexia refers to a self-loathing, self-destructive thought process which has become a COPING mechanism for the sufferer (for an enormous variety of reasons).
    Anorexics do not think skinny is “sexy” or will make them more attractive to others!!
    Quite the opposite, they sub-consciously know that people are either repulsed by and/or scared away from them and their emaciated bodies. This means they can be alone and free from judgement and the contrary thought processes of others, which creates a feeling of safety and relief.
    Ever heard doctors saying that “He/she just wants to be alone with his/her disorder”?
    This is why social withdrawal is a warning sign that an eating disorder may be developing.
    Eating disorders are not glamorous, they’re a shameful secret that unfortunately probably millions of people are keeping hidden underneath a fascade of “normality” and “contentment”.
    Pro-ana is the polar opposite!! Pro-ana is wanting to parade chronic severe malnourishment as fashionable and desirable, and thus actively encourage weight loss in themselves and others.
    I am by no means saying that this illness is not valid, it is a serious mental health issue as much as any eating disorder. But, “pro-ana” and anorexia are just NOT THE SAME THING!!!

7. Pingback: » Pinterest weert promotie anoxeria