Reality TV: What’s eating you? on E!

Ok, the promos for this new E! show are so totally sensationalized its pathetic…but the show itself, I have mixed feelings about.

First, check out the promo.

The music, the images, the narrator voice — totally over the top. But then I went the E! site to see videos of the actual show and I thought it may have some value. What do you think?

Clip of first episode (try to disregard the fact that this chick appears to be a stripper)

Is there some value in seeing the sick reality here?

I don’t buy the argument that these programs are going to make someone aware of ED’s and therefore they will “try it” because this crap is EVERYWHERE on the web, its not like we can hide the reality.

Would I let my 10 year old daughter watch the program?

But I would sit by her side and watch it with her.

Can’t hide from the truth and I believe knowledge is power.

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Reality TV and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Reality TV: What’s eating you? on E!

1. Anonymous says:

Ouch. It’s too hard to say without seeing it. I sort of like how in the 2nd clip, (forget she’s an alleged stripper) that they show how this disease can be hard on family and friends. In the throws of an eating disorder, you are so consumed by what is eating you that you lose sight of how others suffer too. The blonde reminded me of me in so many ways at my worst.

“I’m trying….really…. I’m sorry I haven’t made much progress.” Again… OUCH! But I like it better than Oprah’s approach of filming during therapy. We will have to see. Short of people with ED’s identifying with it, I am not sure it will motivate people who are really sick who are ambivilant about recovery to pursue it. Let’s hope it doesn’t further encourage them to stay sick. SIck is comfortable. Recovery is bat ass hard, but worth the rewards.

2. gabi says:

I dont understand whats wrong with this “chick apparently being a stripper”?…..

The comment seems totally deregatory… so what if she is? Me and my best both turned to prostitution due to our ED’s and I know other people who have turned to either prostitution, becoming escorts or stripping as a result. Funnily enough, even though you have to show your body, the one thing you hate, in things… whats the one thing your destroying, hurting and can detach from easily while doing them?! Your body. And then continue to do that with your ED.

3. Lamdas says:

I tried to watch this show. I felt weird watching it. Seeing

them get upset and cry made me feel bad. I had to turn it

off. I am still struggling. It is sort of getting better. But I still have a long way to go.

Besides I hate the E! channel anyway.

4. Anonymous says:

I agree about the stripper comment. I know how she feels about people who go into these fields and how it portrays women as sex objects, but unfortunately people go into this field for a variety of complex reasons from money to low self esteem to sexual abuse. I didn’t but I understand the reasons why people can fall into this. I don’t think if you suffer from an ED, it really matters what you do for a living. I also don’t know if after seeing it with the fact that it is “sensationalized”
    for TV. I have mixed feelings about shows on this subject and whether it is apprpriate to air people in such fragile mental states, But I believe the emotions they feel are very real and not hyped up for TV. Like I said, watching the “stripper” clip reminded me so much of my mindset when I was bad.

5. Ashley says:

The women in the second clip obviously needs help, but if I were her boss and an “irate customer” came to me telling me that my girl was “appauling to look at” I’d probably tell her to take her judgmental business elsewhere. I definitely wouldn’t have flat out fired her for that, not saying that I wouldn’t be concerned for her health though. But I definitely don’t agree with how employers are handling women with EDs.

6. amber says:

i would have liked to watch it, too bad i didn’t catch it. in fact at 10 i was watching “freaky eaters” on TLC. Its finally come to the US. It really sucks to get fired like that, how will she get help without any income? poor thing!

7. Pingback: World Spinner

8. myowndisaster says:

I watched the first episode when it aired. Honestly, I didn’t find it to be bad at all. It wasn’t inspirational and it didn’t make me want to immediately seek help. But I didn’t really find myself being triggered either, which I kind of expected but watched it anyway even though I was told, “it probably isn’t a good idea for me to watch shows like that.” Whatever that means. Regardless, in my opinion, the show was as well done as it could be considering the topic. At times it was hard for me to watch, again not because I was being triggered, but more so because I related to both of them in different ways and noticed similar behaviors. It made me realize this thing I don’t think is a problem actually is. This isn’t to say I’m going to give it up and ask for help, but it made me think and I think there is value in that.

9. NTG says:

Shows about EDs, in my opinion, are not good. The pictures you show for youtube are enough for me not to push play. The one girl looks like she is about to hurl and the other girl makes me want to cry.

Off topic but I’d like to see a discussion about EDS and addictions (alcohol, drugs, etc). Most topics seem to be pop culture related. Thanks

10. Lis says:

I try to catch all the ED movies and TV shows that I can, and generally, I’d like to think that if they’re bringing awareness to the disease and getting people talking and thinking about it, it’s a good thing.

That said, there is something about this particular show that just IRKS me.

I don’t know if this is just me but it all seems so scripted and, at times, even silly. I’m not at all trying to say that EDs or those suffering them are in any way silly, but the way this show is edited and presented leaves a lot to be desired.

The therapists the ED-sufferers see just seem downright incompetent to me. They stare at their patients wide-eyed, seemingly shocked at everything they say, and ask more idiotic questions that give helpful counseling. They hardly seem like eating disorder experts in my opinion.

Also, the majority of the people with EDs on this show seem to be miraculously “cured” in a matter of weeks or therapy sessions. It’s just unreal.

It seems to me that this show was made more for a mainstream audience that perhaps doesn’t know much about EDs to begin with, and simply wanted to provide a shock-factor here and there for morbid entertainment purposes.

I don’t know… it’s just a very incomplete and forced show to me. I’ve watched three episodes so far, and don’t much care for it.

I realize it’s supposed to be episodic, but if you compare it to documentaries like Greenfield’s THIN, it’s just an aggravatingly narrow and useless approach to filming and representing eating disorders and those who suffer them.

11. Charlin says:

I watched a few episodes of the show… I am disappointed.. They only covered bingeing a purging disorders.. There are many people out there who have Anorexia and do not binge and purge.. I myself have Anorexia and have never purged; so, I would have liked to see them cover non purging disorders.. Also, how about people who only have binging disoder and do not purge… What the Hell E.. show some diversity… . It makes it look like an eatting disorder = binging and purging..

• Lis says:

I agree, that got on my nerves too. It seems these days the only ED that is given any kind of attention is binging and purging.

I’ve been on both sides of the spectrum in extreme ways. I have periods of binging (and NOT purging) followed by periods of intense restricting (and NOT purging).

I too would like to see other disorders given some awareness.