What in god’s name is Bergdorf Goodman thinking?

This is a picture from Bergdorf Goodman‘s website. They depict the 19-year-old model Inna Pilipenko in clothing from Mary Kate & Ashley Olsen’s brand  The Row.

This is sick ok?

Not sexy. Not pretty. Not anything but totally sick.

What kind of fashion director chooses this “body” to sell clothing to women. I mean really, what are they trying to say beyond “Be a sick stick.”

Yeah, yeah, this model doesn’t have an eating disorder, just hold the comment on that because it is irrelevant. The point is she represents 0% of the female population, and at face value is not a good role model for girls. Period.

At least The Olsen’s utilized a strong, vibrant African American model to showcase their clothes on their own web site, and they didn’t go down the pro ana road.

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What in god’s name is Bergdorf Goodman thinking?

1. Alison says:

That? Is effed up. Seriously. That has got to be the most blatant photo of an anorexic model that I have ever seen. I hate it.

2. Anonymous says:

I am tired of her and many others on here immediately being so judgemental and attacking people’s appearances just because they think they might have an eating disorder. And no- I refuse to hold my comment on that, because if she does have one it is relevant. SHE DOESN”T DESREVE TO BE ATTACKED and called s sick stick. I find it very apalling and offensive that for someone who had an eating disorder of her own is so harsh and often so cruelly sarcastic in the language you use to describe women who in your opinion “probably” have an eating disorder. If they do, they need help, not be so obnoxiously insulted.

If you want to get mad at advertisers who use too thin models, while I hightly doubt it will change much, there are ways you can take it up with the company to complain. You do need to be so derrogatory about your comments regarding the model’s appearance.

And what is it with you constantly putting celebrities and models on a pedastool all the time. “They are role models to young girls.” Maybe- but they are also human beings who are just as susceptible- if not more so, to eating disorder and drugs or alcohol problems because the pressure they are under. Being a celebrity model/actress does not make you immune to mental illness. I’d appreciate it if in the future you want to go on these tiraded about the advertisers, go after them. Not their models. They are just trying to work and make a living. It’s in the end, their choice who they select. NOT THE MODELS. PS- calling people who may have anoredia a sick stick only encourages them and feeds their disorder if you know anything about the psychology of the illness. It’s called negative attention and anorexicss THRIVE off of it. You should be smart enough to know that it is a classic characteristic having had an ed yourself.

• Nickkei says:

I kind of agree with you here on a lot of what you’ve said, but I think she was going after the designer not the model. I’m sure since she’s been in that industry she does know what its like. She just wants to make it clear that that girl’s figure is not a healthy one for growing girls when they already have a bunch of other pressures from daily life.

• mamaV says:

Hi Anon: Last time I checked this was my blog, so if you are sick and tired of it, guess what? It’s the internet, high tail it out of here.

Protecting models is not my style, feel free to read the four years of posts in the archive, along with my personal history. Your commentary is a rambling crock ‘o’ crap.

And next time, if you’d like to make a statement, have the balls to leave your name.

mV

3. Kat says:

WOAH. What happened to her “legs”?
    Impressed? Yes! In a good way? No.

4. Lamdas says:

I still think she’s pretty though.

I Checked out that Bergdorf Goodman site. 200 bucks for a pair of men’s denim jeans? Yikes!

5. Anonymous says:

I am not full of crap, nor am I defending the industry. I am saying I don’t think it’s appropriate to dissect every nook and cranny of a person with an alleged eating disorder’s body. We feel bad enough don’t ya think?

Thank you for being once again so obnoxious and sarcastic and insulting me. People come here to share their experiences with their illness. In the throws of my illness, positive or negative comments on my appearance were not helpful. It’s hard enough for people in recovery or getting there to simply be compliant with a meal plan. To tell me am I full of crap when I’ve had four hospitalizations to get me on the straight and narrow is just wrong.

Everyone Coming to this site and sharing their experiences with this disease does take balls. To say I have none because I choose not to use my name is undermining my experience, and my choosing not to use my name does not make anything I have to say less worthy than someone who does. You sure have a lot of compassion for someone who had an ed themselves.

Thanks!

• Anonymous says:

PS- In regards to your comment about your former career as a model, I am well aware of the fact that you were one. You mention it in almost 75% of your posts, and I have read about your experiences. However, it would be nice to bear in mind that it’s not only models who have eating disorders. Models only make up a minority of the millions who suffer from them. Once again, I am not defending models who look unhealthy or the industry that chooses to promote them. I am saying it’s not fair to condemn them for being sick. Most people in the throws of an eating disorder don’t see themselves as looking sick and you are trying to beat something into people that are missing that brain chip.

The desire to change comes from within the person realzing that their way is not working and taking over their life and hard work in therapy. Not by people like you screaming and yelling about how awful they look. After recovery, most people can see how bad it looks in hindsight. But most who are active, can’t, so yelling at people who might be in the state of mind where they think they look fine when they don’t is pretty counter productive. It’s like telling an alcoholic who wants to continue drinking they don’t have a problem. The alcholic doesn’t stop drinking until they either choose to, or medical issues that can cost them their life force them to. Even then, some don’t stop. Sadly, the same thing goes for ED. It doesn’t make the behavior right or defensibles, I am just saying, yelling just eat and you look like a concentration camp victim is useless.

6. Anonymous says:

Here is a link to a recent study featured on ABC about genetics and eating disorders and how heredity plays the larger role in their development than skinny models and society.

But what do I know since Iam so full of crap as MV puts it. I am not full of crap. I know what I am talking about.

• 4EqltyMom says:

Interesting story on genetics. But what I think you’re missing is genetics play the role of creating a pre-disposition for developing an eating disorder. It is not a cause. Therefore, other factors come into play. Like it says in the beginning of that article – “a girl called me fat.” There was a trigger, along with probably 10 other factors, including genetics, that played a role in that girl developing anorexia.

Media images are certainly one of those factors. Are they a cause? No. Are they completely to blame? No. Is mV saying they’re the sole cause? No. But they certainly play a role.

You seem quite defensive about models. Do a search on the internet. You’ll come up with account after account of models talking about how rampant EDs are in the modeling community … and how no one wants to admit it … no one talks about it. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist.

7. -cavities says:

Dont worry, anon. MV is just being a bitch.
    Some girls look like that naturally. You know why it’s wrong that you dont care? That you think they shouldnt be used to market clothing? Because that makes them feel even more fucked-up and unusual. I was always calles things like “sick stick” and it was a huge factor in the development of my ED three years ago. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT. Everyone has different reasons for their own psychological degeneration whether or not you understand them. Mine happened to feed upon comments that made me feel like an alien with no sex appeal.
    Since you think anonymity is so discrediting, I’ve left my email and the screenname with which you can find me on various websites such as Tumblr and WhyEat. Now, kindly get over yourself.
    Eating disordered or not, I think Inna Pilipenko is gorgeous. If she’s suffering–and she does appear as though she could be– I hope she heals soon.

8. Anonymous says:

Dont worry, anon. MV is just being a bitch.

9. Anon says:

I agree with the *point* of your post, even if I highly don’t like how you said it, BUUUT the model DOES represent a tiny portion of the women on this planet as some ARE teeny tiny; no matter how, whether that be natural, medical, ED, exercise, etc.

If companies were actually interested in showing all sizes, they would show curvy women …AND these girls too. Hopfully a few other types. And tall, small, different races, etc.