Oprah’s Inside Rehab Reality Show To Be Filmed At Shades of Hope

Tipsters informed us of the location of Oprah’s Inside Rehab program, Shades of Hope Treatment Center in Buffalo Gap, Texas. This treatment facility is where the program “Ruby” was filmed, shown at left with Oprah herself. Read more about it here.

Shades of Hope will be featured on Dr. Oz this Friday during the segment on food addiction. And they are twittering away about it today, so I am thinking they aren’t planning on keeping their involvement a secret.

Here’s what I am wondering, why would a treatment center want to participate in a Reality TV show? If you are so inclined, feel free to contact Shades of Hope and share your feelings. However, I ask that you do NOT go ballistic on these people.

Tell them your feelings in a mature, professional manner so we are viewed as the serious eating disorder community that we are, a group that truly cares and wants to make sure patients are not exploited in any way, shape or form. I understand this is a highly emotional topic, but we really do need to be respectful in order to be heard.

Ok, breathe…..here’s the contact info:

Phone Number: 1-800-588-4673
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 639, Buffalo Gap, TX 79508
Physical Address: 402-A Mulberry Street, Buffalo Gap, TX 79508

Email: Contact Us Form

Here is a video of the owner talking about why she got into this field of work;

Have you been interviewed for the show? If you would like to share your experience email mamavision@gmail.com

Join our FB group working hard to gain the attention of Oprah’s publicity team to let them know our concerns.

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Media Madness and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

15 Responses to Oprah’s Inside Rehab Reality Show To Be Filmed At Shades of Hope

1. Michelle says:

I wonder about the girls (and guys) who are going to be the ‘stars’ of the show.
    Did they give complete consent to be followed around?
    Did the show give them free rehab and that is what reeled them in to sign the waivers?
    What about the families? I wonder if they are 100% on board?
    What if half way through the ‘season’ people go hay-wire? Are the producers/directors going to cut that stuff out? What are they going to add or take away from the show? Certainly it won’t be a 24/7 rehab show because they are probably only going to air once a week- a full week condensed into 20 or 40 minutes? Impossible.

I just do not understand shows like this.

But–

if it leads just one sufferer to recovery- let it be praised.
    if it leads more to confusion, possible suicide, thinspiration- let it be a lesson to all those who wish to follow in its steps.

2. Tammy says:

this is fucking ridiculous… i cant believe she is going expose these patients like this… for money? yeah… uncalled for.

• kim says:

uhh noo they did not do it for money… you need to do your research before you make a comment like that… but i guess its easier to make a comment then do the research.. which smart people dont do.. and OFCOURSE these patients actually agreed… it took oprah several weeks, even months to do this… and there is a consent form… i guess you never heard of it.. this also goes for people who made comments like tammy

• Anonymous says:

Apparently Tammy does not have this disease.

I thank Oprah for this. I watch this and it helps to know I’m not alone.
      Marguerite

3. Shalace says:

To me, it’s really not surprising that Shades of Hope opened themselves up like this. I’ve heard that they have treated celebrities for eating disorders; among them Wynona Judd for Binge Eating Disorder and her sister, Ashley Judd, for depression. It really sounds like a case of soliciting publicity for their treatment center.

Whatever the reason, I find it appalling and will be writing to show my displease of this.

What the heck are these morons thinking?!

4. Pingback: Social Action Alert! Stop ED victims from being exlpoited by Oprah! | REALme Life Training

5. KJ says:

I think it is alright for a treatment center to allow TV in. Rhodes Farm has at least twice: “I’m a Boy Anorexic” and “Dana, the 8 year old anorexic”. Both of these are informational about the life of a patient at RF without being intrusive into their lives.

I do not know how Shades of Hope will handle it, but I think it could be okay.

6. amber says:

i stand by my first opinion, lets watch the first episode before we judge.

7. Shades of Hope was the worst experience of my life. I can’t believe they are going to do a show about it and make it look great. That makes me sick.

• Regretted every dime I paid them says:

The Binge Diary, my experience there was horrible too. They humiliated people by making them put on spandex and stand up in front of other patients and tell their stories. They threatened a patient that if she left insurance wouldn’t pay and she would be stuck with a big bill – that’s how they keep you there threatening to ruin people financially. Just what I needed was feeling even more like dirt. Thanks a lot. And I won’t even get into the therapy. I left feeling very traumatized. My psychiatrist calls it Shades of Hopelessness.

• Addendum to my reply above says:

I realize I was a tad harsh in my comments above. I have talked to people who have had positive experiences at Shades, and that’s why I originally went there. I was there many years ago and I don’t think a therapist who I had the most issues with is there any longer. I understand that what I experienced and observed there may have been some people having a bad day and may not be their general practice.

8. Anonymous says:

I love the show and think it is a great idea…FINALLY, people are willing to go ON T.V. and talK about the emotional pain of this maladaptive behavior. I understand that you really have to be ready for treatment. It took an internal process of two years before I was ready to start walking about from the disease of obesity. Real change is painful and denial of our past and present negative emotions cause us to be held back from letting our real selves emerge. I pray more people have the courage to love themselves enough to face their shame, anger, self-hatred, pain, and rejection. What they need is a support group of loved ones and friends that unconditionally love, accept, and encourage them. Break out of your fat shells people let’s have a coming out party! You’re worthy!!

9. Elaina Ackerman says:

I watched about 5 Episodes of Shades of Hope and I found it very healing. I saw myself and the personalities of many men and woman I know and have met in my life. I was able to hone in my own relationship with food. It felt like I was in the group too. I discovered the same patterns that one of the members of the group had with what one of my friend has. I suspected this food issue with her and in watching this show I was able to validate what I was feeling about this friend of mine was correct. Now, I have more compassion for this friend of mine. As for me, I would like to see more shows like this because I probably would not have the courage to do what these folks have done also I would not be able to spend the money or take the time.
    Looking foward to watching find Sara……
    TV is such a powerful way to portray the human experience…
    And Shades of Hope