OH SO COCO! I love this chick.

I’ve never understood why more models do not come forward to speak about the sickness of the modeling industry, they seem to avoid the topic like the plague.

But not Coco Rocha, a 21 year old model, self described as “6 inches taller and 10 sizes smaller than the average American woman, came forward to have her say during NY Fashion Week 2010;

“This issue of model’s weight is, and always has been of concern to me. There are certain moral decisions which seem like no brainers to us. For example, not employing children in sweatshops, and not increasing the addictiveness of cigarettes. When designers, stylists or agents push children to take measures that lead to anorexia or other health problems in order to remain in the business, they are asking the public to ignore their moral conscience in favor of the art.

Surely, we all see how morally wrong it is for an adult to convince an already thin 15 year old that she is actually too fat. It is unforgivable that an adult should demand that the girl unnaturally lose the weight vital to keep her body functioning properly. How can any person justify an aesthetic that reduces a woman or child to an emaciated skeleton? Is it art? Surely fashion’s aesthetic should enhance and beautify the human form, not destroy it.”

Then came the inevitable jabs from the NY Times Fashion Freaks in an article titled A Model’s prospects: Slim to none, which insinuated that Rocha is no longer desirable because she is too fat, and therefore speaking out (which is a pile of BS BTW);

“A lot of designers no longer hire her for their runways. They consider her a veritable behemoth in a business that makes a fetish of being what the actress Emily Blunt once termed “edge of ill” thin.”

The good news in all of this is the Council of Fashion Designers of American (CFDA) has finally come out of their coma to address these issues (I was stalking them way back in 2008 on this topiceven went undercover to their offices to expose how clueless they were).  Supposedly their goal is to increase the sample size and to book models over the age of 16 (I”ll believe it when I see it, but hey at least they are pretending to care now).

Coco Rocha went on to say;

We need changes. I’d prefer that there would be no girl working under the age of 16, but if that has to be the case then I’d love to see teens escorted by a guardian to castings, shows, and shoots. The CFDA has set codes in place for their members and I’d love to see the entire industry follow. Society legislates a lot of things – no steroid use in sports is one example – its only reasonable that there be rules of conduct to keep the fashion industry healthy.

My sincere hope is that through our efforts young models will one day be spared the humiliation, the risky weight loss, the depression that comes along with anorexia and the misery of abandonment by an industry ashamed to see them turn into actual women.

There are natural human standards in how we treat one another and how we treat children. There are those who continue to trample on these standards but there are also champions of a better way. I hope that the continued efforts of the CFDA and all those who hold these values in regard will sway the opinion of those on the opposing side of the industry to ensure a true change for the better.

About mamaV

Former Paris model providing advice for eating disorder sufferers who aspire to be thin, follow the proana lifestyle, and lack self esteem.
This entry was posted in Fashion Freaks and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to OH SO COCO! I love this chick.

1. mamaV says:

test commment

2. mamav says:

test comment

3. mamav says:

OK – Comments are fixed!

4. amber says:

happy your comments are fixed heather, seen tyra bank’s teen model contest? the teens are all size 12 and above. i don’t think thats fair, i mean real sized modeling? not all of us are plus sized. i think coco’s helping but all the industry does to help is throw tons of plus sized models onto the scene and, for some reason, they all have to be wearing large bright prints. they never get to wear normal clothing, and theres never any normal sized girls. im hoping theres something more to be done this time.

5. anonymous says:

I think that what this model is doing is positive. I’ve never approved of the pressure the media and the fashion industry put on young models to be thin. But, as I have said many times, I think, as this article acurately addressses and experts in medical journals have proven, blaming the media and the fashion industry as the cause of something as psychologically complex and serious as an eating disorder is extremely misleading. Please see the article I pasted below on Jessica Simpson’s new show about this very subject.

I certainly have always agreed the media is not a help and don’t defend what they do as responsible, but I also think it’s irresponsible to blame them for biologically based mental illnesses.

I have often been curious MV, if you never went to Paris, how do you know you would not have developed an eating disorder regardless? You don’t- and I guess too late now, but I’ve always wondered if you’ve ever considered the possibility? I feel you blame the media so much for everything.

For me, addiction has always run in my family. I didn’t have a drug or alcohol problem like a lot of my extended family did and I am the only one in my family with an ED, but I sure did inhereit the “Addiction” gene. Anorexia- bulimia- binge eating- whatever- they are all an addiction. Hence, I am convinced my eating disorder is genetic as mental illness and addiction run in my family. I’d suggest reading the article and giving it a fair chance to hear what it has to say.

6. anonymous says:

I stand by my belief from everything I have learned from some of the most renowned psychiatrists in the world that I have actually met and worked with- one who runs one of the top ED units in the country, one of the top doctor’s on ED in the United states, that eating disorders are primarily genetically or biologically based, with enviornmental factors that most definitely fuel the fire- like trauma, family issues, media, etc, but not the main cause.

If you stop and think about it, what this writer is saying is true. Hordes of people in this world get ticked off at media images of skinny models and the pressure that society puts on women especially to be thin. I hear this all the time from my friends- friends who do not have eating disorders and vent about the problems with the media while happily consuming 2 slices of pepperoni pizza.

If the media were SOLELY responsible for eating disorders,then every chick bugged by something like a thin model would have one. What separates the people who are bothered by these images but don’t have an eating disorder from those who do? I don’t necessarily think it’s any one thing, I think everything contributes, but I definitely think genetics load the gun, and the rest can pull the trigger. If you’d ever be interested in reading some of these studies, I can forward you the links to the physicians who wrote them if you wish.

You are entitled to your opinion as to what you think causes eds, but this is mine, and also the the majority of most people who treat it. I respect your opinion, or any other people’s opinions who differ. I am not suggesting that Every Ed doctor out there is right or God and that their style or belifs in treating the illness suit or work for everyone. It doesn’t always.

But, I think that very accomplished physicians in this field whom I have great respect for and have dedicated their lives to helping people recover from eating disorders by studying scinece and considering the genetic component as a possible cause and trying to find a combination of psychopharmacolgy along with therapy to help treat it are often not given enough recognition.

It’s a lot easiar to just blame the media than to say listen, perhaps there are some genetic factors here. I don’t think this means one afflicted with ed, any other menatl illness, or even cancer is anyone’s fault. It’s nothing to be ashamed of. But gene factor can’t be ignored, and the media, the only culprit.

7. anonymous says:

thanks for posting this. I do think coming down on these assholes serves it’s purpose, because I do not like the message they send, and I do think it contributes on some level. Good for you!

However, I really just don’t think the fashion world causes it. I definitely think people like him, people like ballet teachers or acting coaches and sports coaches can influence one down an eating disorder path with their unrealistic demands, but the psychologial issues and biological issues w/ brain chemistry already exsist that launch into a full blown eating disorder.

I know this from many research studies that have been proven in medical journals, including ones I participated in during my battle with anorexia.

Unfortunately, people just don’t want to look to the reality that there is a pre-exsisting mental disturbance within the individual that makes them resort to such drastic measures of turning themselves against their body. Even if it never came out until a harsh mentor put pressures on them, which is albeit, wrong, the basic personality traits and chemcial/ biological factors to fall into an eating disorder pattern were already there.

I know this is not the answer that a lot of you want to hear and choose not to believe, but I believe that it is the underlying truth- with of course, social factors also having their contribution.

I often ask myself… if the Karls, the dance teachers, the coaches, and the Hollywood assholes of the world were truly responsible for eating disorders, then why don’t the ED afflicted sue all of the above in court for the cost of their therapy, medical expenses, and mental suffering since they are all so certain they are to blame.

After all… Michael Jackson’s Dr. is being sued for wrongful death/malpractice. This case has proven medical evidence to support that his death was most likely, the Dr.’s fault.

Lot’s of people in the world are bullied, sent negative messages and treated cruelly and unfairly. It really fing sucks- but they don’t all end up starving themselves, doing drugs, bingeing and purging, or starving themselves. This flip side to the argument is always neglected.

Lindsay Lohan- prime example….befere ever famous, addicted father, enabling mother. Mommy’s excuse… it’s the media that makes my child end up in rehab. No. She was pre-desposed to the tendency to develop these behaviors. There are many stars who have these histories in their families who have the strength to stay away from it if they are educated about their mental health history in the family. Others just don’t have it in them even if they do have the knowledge to stay away, and I believe this is the genetics of mental illness. They say it skips a generation. My parents never had these problems, but their parents did. I didn’t have a chemical addiction problem like my grandparents did, but I had a problem with addiction when it came to losing weight.

Having a mental illness doesn’t make one a bad person at all, no matter what the family history. Getting the help to de-program oneself and separate themselves from negative influences to stop destroying themselves is key.

At the end of the day, I guess my frustration I see on this site is that there is a lot of blame bashing on the media without any addressing of the medical communities findings and research on eating disorders acknowledged. If you are going to debate a subject as serious as ED, why not present ALL sides… not just one?

But, Genetics or not, media or not… the answer lies within one’s own self and desire for motivation to recover. You can blame everything under the sun and analyze everything under the sun as to why you have a problem.

While I do believe that genetics carry more of the weight than the media when it comes to ED, the only person who has the ability to turn your plight around is yourself, and the desire to want a better life for yourself starts with you. Stop blaming everyone else. The media won’t change. Your family, modeling agent, or coach won’t change. You can.