Stupid Girls – which are you?

Love this video. Enjoy your weekend.

This entry was posted in Body Image, Fake Beauty and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

6 Responses to Stupid Girls – which are you?

1. Maureen says:

I don’t know. I understand the point of this video. This song has always kind of bothered me though. There’s just something that doesn’t seem right to me about calling these stereotypical girly-girls stupid. Plus, its not like Pink isn’t trying to fit some mold herself. She obviously works out a ton and cares a lot about how she presents herself. It just happens to be different from the way Brittany Spears does it. The scene with the girl throwing up especially bothers me. Just because someone has an eating disorder doesn’t mean that they are shallow and only care about being thin, although this can be the case. The few people that I have known with eating disorders have actually been extraordinarily sensitive individuals who have emotional difficulties and maladaptive coping mechanisms.

Anyway, I see that this is supposed to be a female empowering video. I just think that there are some not so great messages mixed in. Also, the girl deciding to pick up the football at the end of the video seems silly to me. Being a woman and being powerful means that we can do whatever we want, whether it be considered masculine or feminine. Its about choice. When we label traditionally feminine things as “bad” (like the little girl picking up a doll would have been the “wrong” choice) and traditionally masculine things as strong and “good” we are really just perpetuating the cycle of inequality. Girls can like football just as much as boys, and they can like dolls too, and that is fine. OR if a little girl really just prefers to play with dolls and isn’t interested in trucks and sports, there is nothing wrong with her. It doesn’t make her a “stupid” girl. We can argue about whether girls and boys make toy choices because of the media I guess, but thats not really the point.

2. Noelle says:

Hmmm – I’m of two minds about that video. On one hand, I find it highly amusing – it’s a very satirical reflection of our society, but on the other hand it makes me mad. Just like Maureen said, P!nk does not avoid conforming to a stereotype – she just conforms to a different one.

I do understand where the video is coming from, but after struggling with an eating disorder myself for many, many, many years, I find it insulting that the video so flippantly mocks them, and almost indicates they’re lifestyle choices. They’re not.

But I do think – aside from the ED thing – that it’s an excellent reflection on the set of cultural ideals we repeatedly place on our young people.

Now, must stop distracting myself and get back to my assignment!

3. Anonymous says:

“Oh, my God you guys I totally had more than 300 calories today that’s so not sexy.”
    I guess I’m ‘that’ girl.
    It’s working though, so I’m okay with it.
    I’m okay with it for all the wrong reasons.
    Regardless, I love what you’re doing mamaV (even if I don’t get it yet), keep it up.

4. Nats says:

I actually found this video quite funny to be honest with you. I love pink and I love the way she kinda breaks the barriers, but I thought the gagging bit was a bit much. I see that she is trying to say that this is a stupid thing to do but people need to realise that ED’s aren’t always there because the person suffering wants it to be and does it by choice, some people are pro ana/mia and they want to be doing this. Some like me would rather not be like this and would not choose for it to happen.

just my opinion is all

5. Rach says:

Honestly? I don’t find the video funny, at all. It’s making fun of eating disorders, a serious mental illness. People who are bulimic, or have bulimic tendencies may watch that and be even less likely to come forward for help, from fear that they also will be made fun of.

6. Liz says:

I remember back when this song first came out. I was watching Fuse (at the time the only decent music channel left) when suddenly all of my faith in music, television, and society in general were dashed away. I was disgusted by the fact that Fuse was playing a song by Paris Hilton (yeah, does anybody else remember when little miss famous just for being famous dropped an album?). Well my remote control skills kind of went kerflooey due to my brain leaking out of my ears in an attempt to protect me from sights and sounds of this travesty.
    I ended up quite glad that I was unable to change the channel (like a train wreck man) because immediately after the song ended they played “stupid girls” by Pink. Whoever chose the programming that day was funny as hell.
    To my knowledge the Paris Hilton video was never played again on Fuse.
    Faith in music restored.