On top of everything else, was Michael Jackson anorexic?

I don't know where I have been, but nearly every single bit of news since Michael Jackson's death is shocking me…drug addict, bankrupt, anorexic?

The thought of any one individual going through such turmoil is so sad and disturbing isn't it?

He was probably the saddest case of body dimorphic disorder (BDD) since Jocelyn Wildenstein and he has always been super thin….but I guess it never even dawned on me he could have an eating disorder.

If Jackson did indeed have anorexia, it makes this story all the more horrible. Thinking of him alone suffering with such a disease, on top of all the other things the guy had working against him.

My children have been asking all sorts of questions about Jackson;

"I thought Michael Jackson was black?"

"Why is he so skinny?'

"Why was he doing drugs?"

"Why do his kids have towels on their face?"

"That's the same person?" while looking at Jackson as a boy and now.

And possibly the hardest one to respond to "She's pretty."

What is a parent to say?

The truth.

Just like every other question your children come up with – I believe you just have to be real;

"Michael was a major, major child star, performing when he was a very young boy – younger than you guys are now. His dad wasn't kind, and I've heard he made Michael take medicine that only girls should have, that made his voice stay high pitched. Michael couldn't go anywhere without being followed, questioned, photographed, and judged. He took pain killers after an accident, and got addicted to them because they made him forget about his problems and lack of self esteem. Thats why he kept changing what he looked like - first he thought his nose wasn't thin enough, then his skin wasn't white enough, so be basically spent his entire life trying to be someone else."

I obviously left out two major points;

The child molestation accusations and possible anorexia…both inappropriate topics for their age 6 and 9.

The whole situation has just left me thinking about what an odd culture we are; we idolize people to the point that we kill them. Michael Jackson never had a chance, but he did have a choice didn't he?

And so do we.

I don't know about you, but I am keeping the Jackson coverage to a minimum in my home. If this freaks us out, can you imagine how bizarre all of this seems to a child?

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to On top of everything else, was Michael Jackson anorexic?

1. Amber says:

Personaly, i don’t eat when i’m really upset, well even the slightest unease put that effect on me…anyways, if i were acused of child molestation food wouldn’t be the first thing on my mind. And Michale was never known any other way after that, he was always the gross, over plastised, child molester. That stress could lead to an eating disorder and i belive that his death was probably a suicide. Who really know?

2. Kate says:

It really saddened me to see the pictures of him during all the coverage of his death. No matter what you believed about the child molestation acusations, it is alwaysa tragic to see someone self destruct. I believe that Michael was truly a troubled soul and if it turns out that he was, in fact anorexic, it won’t surprise me a bit.

3. Melissa says:

I just did a post on this, MamaV-just checking my reader now and see we found the same article. So sad … so sad.

4. Bela says:

that’s an interesting point and it never even crossed my mind…

5. Meryt Bast says:

He was a poor soul.

6. anon says:

in his defense, i heard postmortem that he legitimately did have a skin condition that caused it to lighten… and wasn’t bleaching it.
    i always felt sympathetic towards michael, especially in the last few years. i know what it’s like to feel ostracized and to be treated like a freak. i can’t imagine having to live with that to the degree that he did and on the scale that he did, as a result of his celebrity.

7. hypomanicstreetpreacher says:

I read today in the paper that he weighed about eight stone, which for a 50 year-old man standing 5′ 10″ high is pretty grim.
    So is the fact that the only thing found in his stomach during the post-mortem was a handful half-digested pills.
    What a bloody waste.

8. "Julia" says:

It doesn’t take much to convince me that he died of anorexia coupled with substance abuse.
    To call this a waste is an understatement.

9. Jules says:

Michael Jackson had vitiligo which is a disorder that causes the skin to lose pigmentation. He used to have his skin colored black with makeup to match his natural skin color but the skin disorder spread so much that it became easier to color the dark skin lighter. Watch this video to see what vitiligo is like. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtHW7ptF76c&feature=related
    As for anorexia, it wouldn’t surprise me one bit if he was anorexic. From this 1982 interview

at about 3:45 he talks about having a Sunday ritual where he doesn’t eat a thing and dances and that it makes him feel better.
    With everything else going on in his life, eating was probably one of the few things he felt he was able to control. May he now finally rest in peace.

10. .C. says:

Didn’t surprise me. I think it even crossed my mind before I heard that rumor.

11. Jera says:

He had vitiligo, meaning that his skin was slowly losing pigmentation little by little. Usually it starts on the face and hands and then spreads and it can leave ugly painful sores and scabs. He started wearing the glove on his one hand to cover up particularly bad scarring.
    As for his own past abuse, several sources have revealed that he was sexually abused as a child on top of being physically and emotionally abused by his father. During the whole molestation scandal a few years ago, the psychiatrist said that he was emotionally still about ten years old.
    And please don’t call him a child molestor. Those highly publicized cases were nothing more than extortion attempts (he was aggressively pursued by these families for cash payouts before accusations were ever made public) and if he were really doing this, wouldn’t there have been more accusations given the numbers of kids who visited Neverland Ranch. I’m tired of hearing everyone label him without having any proof and ignoring the facts of the cases.
    I don’t find the whole situation “freaky” at all. I find it said and I hope MJ finds peace.

12. ja says:

The vitiligo may explain his skin color but how do you explain that NOSE??? Rest in peace MJ.

13. Sarah says:

I am so tired of the idolatry going on right now when it comes to Michael Jackson. I know he was never convicted of child molestation but I find it very, very, very hard to believe that he was completely innocent.. based on the accusations, the facts and his own words.
    I am a child sexual abuse survivor. That abuse has destroyed my life. Because of the low self esteem and self loathing the abuse caused, I have dealt with an ED for over 10 years now. I have been an anorectic, a bulimic, have abused laxatives, have chewed and spit, etc. etc. Basically, my abuse lead to an ED that has made my life a living hell.
    I do feel sympathy for what MJ went through as a child and respect the amazing impact he had on the music industry; but I have no respect for him as a person. I am able to separate the music from the man. As far as he is concerned, I pity the child and what he had to go through; but I have no sympathy for the man. It is very hard to watch everyone glorifying him and forgetting the fact that he has been accused of the most heinous crime possible.

14. caitlin says:

i think he defiantly had an eating disorder.

15. Josey says:

Michael Jackson was never found guilty of child molestation, and the first accuser has gone on record to say he has lied. If you read up on the child molestation trial that took place in 2005, it shows without shadow of a doubt that he did not abuse the child and the story was fabricated by opportunists. If there had been any grain of truth to it, he would have been in prison, especially since popular opinion at the time of the trial was that he should go to prison. JA, you may have been abused, and I understand your pain, but while it is perfectly understandable for disliking genuine paedophiles, in MJ’s case there was never the evidence, nor was it rue. If you continue to dislike him because of the stuff you have read in the gutter press, you are quite clearly unreasonable, and your hatred of this man is irrational because you refute the facts to favour the rumours.

16. Bob123 says:

He didn’t feel he needed to whiten his skin. He had a disease called vitiligo. Look it up and do you research before you say false things about good people.

17. Commentor on MamaV blog says:

Exactley Bob123! And he never taken anything to make his voice stay high.
    MamaV I am really disappointed in you! You are a two faced idiot! You try to act like a saint, helping young girls, telling them not to buy into what the media says, yet you believe in anything the media says about Michael Jackson! the stuff, you told your kids, are all tabloid trash, and completley not true, do your researches next time, before blubbing out something like that to poor little children!
    I thought you are a much more intelligent woman!

18. Dolores Claudio says:

Skin disorders can also be caused by inadequate intake of skin vitamins like Vitamins A,C and E. ;::,;