Battle of the Bods

Reality TV’s Battle of the Bods doesn’t need an introduction. The logo looks like it took all of 10 minutes for the designer to slap together, and the show itself is one of the most degrading I have seen.

But hey – women sign up for this crap.

Here is a classy clip where the female contestants shake their money maker, while the guys watch, rate, and salivate.

(Trust me, its worth sitting through the annoying video ad that can’t be skipped before the show comes on)

I’m telling you one thing – as a parent, there is no way I’d have this type of programming pumped into my household. If you think these shows don’t impact the self esteem and body image of your daughters, let alone your son’s attitudes towards the women in his life, you are fooling yourself.

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Battle of the Bods

1. Mrs. B. says:

VERY disturbing. Unfortunately, again, as much as we protect and try to prepare our daughters for this, there is very little preparation we can do. I was the mom who told my daughter about how to protect her incredible mind from this pollution. Unfortunately, she grew up to be the “good girl” who was targeted for the date rape drug, whose rape sent her on an out of control spiral…on top of her perfectionistic black/white thinking processes. Interestingly, as she has been regaining her self-image and life, she is also reasserting her independence from this kind of shallow rot in our culture. Good luck, MamaV. I wish you well. You are right to fight back, but the enemy is powerful.
    What is difficult for me to understand is why the women have become so complicit in this. Why is a woman hosting this? Why are the women participating? Why is the head of Playboy a female. For those women who call it empowering, I will assure you. There is NOTHING empowering about becoming an object.

2. Alyse says:

I felt my brain cells dying just watching that.

3. J says:

Seriously? This is what some women aspire to?
    And I completely agree with the first comment, this is not “Empowering”. I am sick of people calling objectifying women “empowering” as well.
    This is a sick sad world we live in.
    I am speechless.
    This is utterly repugnant.

4. ana says:

that show is just gross. but all reality tv shows are.

5. Sharon says:

I agree with J.

6. Jera says:

I find it sad.
    It’s sad that these women feel they have nothing else going for them and decide to stoop to this. I’m not going to rush to judgement and say “ohhh, they all were sexually abused”or something like that because it may not be true, and if so, it is certainly none of my business to judge someone for what could be an effort to ‘take back” their bodies (however misguided).
    I will say that I feel for any woman who has a partner or son who watches this crap and finds it entertaining. I can’t imagine what it would be like to live with someone like that. How awful.

7. Sarah says:

All I could do was yell, “no no no!” I thought it was a joke. It seems like one. This can’t be real. This acceptance and televisation (not a word, I know) of the horror that is my generation makes me want to change into some paint stained sweat pants and cry myself into a comma. Wake me up when it’s over.

8. Sarah says:

This is SO sad! I agree with Sarah above…”No, No, No!!”…Thats all I can say for this horribly demeaning show!

9. hizz says:

damn….lotta white trash on the show.

10. celimia says: