Purex Ad: Thinner is better.

Marianne at The Rotund clued me into the latest totally irritating commercial promoting the "thin is in" message.

Purex is running a new ad called "The Thinner Load", starting with the tagline "As things get better, they get thinner."

Check this out; I grabbed a few screenshots to demonstrate the concept here, see the entire commercial here.

First, we see an old-fashioned wide assed gown..

Evolving to more reasonable female garb…

On to 90s career wear….

And finally, the perfect little skinny skirt reflective of today.

Well, aren't we lucky. Lucky to live in a day and age that we have ad agency guru's sitting around dreaming up this irrelevant crap, being paid a shit-load to do it, and as a result impacting the psyche of the entire female population.

Thinner is not better.
It never has been.
It never will be.

Being YOU is better.
It always has been.
It always will be.

We know this. We hear this. We believe this….but we are so damn gullible, its hard for advertisers to resist pressing our buttons.

So, can we really blame them?

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Purex Ad: Thinner is better.

1. shelly says:

It is a laundry detergent commercial for crying out loud. I saw this commercial and didnt think I needed to be thin because I saw it. I thought, interesting, what a unique and handy way to make laundry detergent. Everything is thin and small these days, ipods, computers, TV’s, etc. I will be honest and say if someone gets triggered by a commercial for laundry deterent then I say good luck and take a look around. There are way more important and relevant things to get triggered by.
    sorry mamav…sometimes I think things are too picked apart and scrutinized just to make a point and if no one would make such a big deal about them then maybe people would be better off for it. To me, this commercial is one of those things.

2. shelly says:

and also you say…
    “Since when? How does this relate to laundry detergent, washing clothes, or anything remotely relevant to this product?”
    Have you seen the commercial. It is a 3 in 1 THIN sheet that is a laundry detergent. So yeah, for some people THINNER is BETTER in this case because you dont have to haul a huge, heavy thing of laundry detergent around.
    I also think THIN tvs are better, THINNER computers are better and I could go on and on….

3. Carrie says:

I think while the invention is very good, they really could have emphasized the “3-in-1” rather than the “thinner”. Something like this is great for older folks, people recovering from injuries, those who have bad backs or maybe even college kids. If the price is reasonable and it’s environmentally friendly, I’ll prolly use it in college.
    And I really have to agree with Shelly. If you’re triggered by a laundry detergent ad (which already uses a Television-Thin Approved Actress)… I mean, you’ve got to be kidding me. Is that worse than the magazine rack where you pay for said detergent?
    To add onto that, I also like the “old-fashioned wide ass gown” more than the modern clothing – and so would those who are into Renaissance and and Victorian clothing.

4. sandy says:

i share the same views as Shelly.
    it’s laundry detergent. get over it

5. anon says:

i love this commercial. i think i’ve seen it twice and my ears perk up every time.

6. aileb says:

This isn’t the first time that thinspirational quotes have been used to sell products. Does anyone remember the Apple ads?
    “You can never be to thin”
    NEDA’s watchdog group thought those words were inappropriate and campaigned to have the ads removed.
    So, let me get this straight, no one, this time around, has a problem with these words, “As things get better, they get thinner.”
    What has changed? What makes the Apple ad inappropriate and the Purex ad appropriate?
    (Was the Apple ad removed because it was also targeting young men? While the Purex ad was just targeting older women?)
    Is it because the battle has been fought before and it seemed like nothing changed afterwards?
    Or has the problem become too big? Too try to point blame, at this point, would just be too daunting a task. So we say nothing.
    Even if we tried to put blame on the company, they would just insist on catering to the demographics: women over 25 who have an adversion to the word “fat.”
    I could just imagine the ad guys pitching the idea: Let’s keep women in their place by reminding that they were not our equals and let’s give them a goal they will NEVER reach.
    As a person who is going through recovery, I guess I am expected to pretend that it doesn’t bother me because I have to “be smart” and learn to “know my triggers” and avoid them.
    Here are some thinspo quotes. Start reading them outloud, and maybe you’ll get really good at pretending they don’t bother you.
    “Happy or sad, rich or poor, it’s better being thin.”
    “Thin has a taste all its own”
    “Every time you say “No Thank you” to food, You say “Yes Please” to Thin”
    “If it tastes good, It’s trying to kill you”
    “Nothing tastes as good as thin feels.”
    “Of course it’s hard; if it were easy, everyone would be thin.”
    “I’m sick of comparing my current self to my skinny self and feeling bad about it.”
    It’s 2009, and as women, the best advise we can give each other is “pretend it’s not there” or “It didn’t bother me” and “good luck.”
    Yeah, I’ve heard that before in the pro-ana sites.
    “Anorexia is supposed to be … don’t you know? Deny it at all costs. Pretend you have not noticed.”

7. Emily says:

Reading into things too much.

8. smudgeruk says:

“As things get better, they get thinner” is about detergent, perhaps – but isn’t it also tapping into that subconscious belief throughout our society that thin = good? Reinforced through the fact they’re using women’s clothing to illustrate “thin”?
    It’s subtle, but I bet it’s someting the ad agency did deliberately.
    @anon – why do your ears perk up every time?

9. PTC says:

I was wondering what people were going to think of that add the first time I saw it.

10. Carrie says:

aileb: No one is telling you to “pretend it’s not there”. I see the message that “thinner is better” in this ad, but I also MUCH more clearly see “thinner is better” in my family, who are more in-my-face about my weight, who are convinced that with weight lost, I’ll be a better person.
    Also, MamaV sometimes accompany her posts with pictures from pro-ana sites, which challenge readers to see the reality of their illness. This Purex ad, I feel, is an unknowing presented-by-a-corporation-who-don’t-know-better exercise in recognising and refusing a message.
    As a side note, I also realised that the people who did this purex ad don’t realise that certain professional digital cameras of today are just as large as the old school cameras. My friend (a professional photographer) saw this and cringed looking at the last “modern” camera.

11. Sarah says:

Shelly, you really don’t get it. Most likely, you have bought into the canard that items are automatically BETTER if they are THINNER, which is why you are throwing a fit over mamaVISION’s post.

12. shelly says:

No, I do get it. And no, I do not believe that everything is better thinner. I agree with a lot of things mamav and other challenge, however, I think this was reading too much into a product that is, in my opinion, kind of a cool product.
    I am not throwing a fit, trust me, you havent seen a fit.
    I guess the “women should be thin” message is so subtle in this commercial I just dont see it or get it…

13. Izzy says:

This commercial does not make me want their product. Companies are trying so hard to advertise appearance and sex that they completely ignore the product that they are trying to sell.
    If they want to advertise this product, and show why you should buy it, I think their commercial should go like this;
    Two people walk into a laundromat, each carrying a large basket of laundry. The first person has all of the typical laundry cleaners and such (each being in their own bottle and being very hard to hold with the laundry). The second person carrying their basket and just the box of Purex (they walk in without trouble and the first person sees this). Something like that would show the public what that product is good for without making the commercial all about the way we look or should look.