Got B.O? Slather on some aluminum!

After reading the Anti-Cancer diet, I took a walk down the deodorant aisle at Walmart to find one that does not contain aluminum. How many did I find?

Actually, the store brands don't just contain aluminum, it is the one and only ingredient listed on the package. To be exact, they read either aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium.

Aluminum is a toxic metal.

A toxic metal we roll, rub and spray on our freshly shaved armpits every single day.

Our female shaving routine literally primes our armpits for absorption of this toxin, the area of our bodies that just so happen to house the lymph nodes for our breasts.

Breast cancer is only one of the risks, add on to that proven risks for Alzheimer and brain disorders.

• In 1993, the World Health Organization said, "There is a
    suspected link between Alzheimer's disease and the toxicity of
  • The Agency for Toxic Substances and &
    Disease Registry reports that "Exposure to high levels of aluminum may
    result in respiratory and neurological problems."

Why is this product on the shelf? Because it's America, and no one gives a damn. Collect the dollars, and keep your mouth shut.

If you are like me, you are going to RUN out to buy an alternative, but you will have to hunt for it. Here is what appears to be our options;

• Deodorant stones: never heard of these until I sat down to write this post. Has anyone used  these?
  • Natural deodorants: I found Burt's Bee's has an herbal based option and this crystal version appears popular. Again, does anyone have advice to lend on here?

For those who want more info on this topic, check out this post. I've read enough. Enough to know I'm not trusting anyone with my health anymore.

Knowledge is power.

Next up: Let's Count The Carcinogens In Our Makeup!

This entry was posted in Beauty Myth and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Got B.O? Slather on some aluminum!

1. Meryt Bast says:

I have used the deodorant stones and really liked them. Now I use Tom of Maine’s deodorant, which has no aluminum. I highly recommend both.

2. Chelsea says:

Honestly, I have never had a store-bought natural deodorant work. However, I started making my own and it seems to work incredibly well. The recipe is as follows:
    1/2 cup coconut oil
    1/2 cup cornstarch
    1/2 cup baking soda (or 1/4 cup if you have sensitive skin)
    A few drops of a favorite essential oil (I use tea tree because of it’s antibacterial qualities)
    Melt coconut oil on stove over low heat. Mix in baking soda and cornstarch. Pour into a container and mix in essential oil. Place in fridge for a few hours to harden.
    Coconut oil turns liquid if it’s rather warm in the house, so if your house is typically above 75 degrees or so, I’d keep it in the fridge.
    To use, just rub into your skin like lotion. The coconut oil is antibacterial and kills the b.o.-causing bacteria. This stuff really does seem to work. I’ve been using it for months and have been quite happy with the results. Plus, being able to know exactly what goes into it is awesome.

3. Kat says:

I’ve known about the aluminum thing for almost 15 years. Never had a natural work very well for me.

4. Kendal says:

In the meantime I think the best thing you can do is stop shaving your pits so often, ne?

5. Vikkabjork says:

i’ve been using the crystal deodorant for almost 4 years, is very good, natural, and works perfect. the one i use is made of ‘alum’. i read that the aztecs used alum as deodorant and i read about other uses to alum, ‘liquid virgin’ :
    0_o that’s crazy.

6. Tom says:

Nature’s Gate at Whole Foods not only is aluminum free, but actually prevents BO (a sadly hard combination to find).
    Personally, I bought it not because I’m particularly concerned about aluminum, but GQ correctly says that non-aluminum deodorants don’t give you that grody yellow armpits in white shirts.

7. Heather says:

I wear prescription deo that is all aluminum just at a much higher concentration. I literally sweat so much it interferes with my daily life, so.
    My mom however uses deodorant crystals she bought at the local herb shop. She really likes it.

8. Naomi says:

i’ve been using a deodorant stone for several years and will use no other product. the stone works as an antibacterial and deodorizes by killing the bacteria that cause odour. it does not prevent perspiration.
    the nice thing about the stone is that it doesn’t stain clothes like commercial antiperspirants and deodorants will.

9. Meghan says:

I like the natural deodorant “Tom’s of Maine” which I have been able to find at almost any grocery store. Though, if I go running and really start to sweat, it doesn’t work so well. But it seems to work just fine during regular activities.

10. Meghan says:

Oh, and I wanted to add that I’m surprised so many people don’t already know about the dangers of aluminum. I remember when I was little (I’m 21 now), my mom would tell me(whenever we made cookies) why we don’t use aluminum baking sheets. Theres the Reynold’s aluminum foil throw-away tins that everyone seems to be buying (obviously, cause they keep selling them) which are not only aluminum, but are wasteful as well. Also, non-stick pots and pans are made with teflon, a form of plastic, which eventually deteriorates and can flake off in your food– not healthy! If you want to buy cookware that is safe, I recommend “All-Clad” brand which is made of stainless steel.

11. Joanna says:

I use herbal clear deodorant. It says it is natural. Also, it is free of aluminum, paraben, and alcohol. It works really well, too.

12. Heidi says:

I’ll try something that is not bad for me, but it has to work. I sweat nonstop (from being overweight and side effect of 5 of my medications). The natural stuff that is out right now does not work. I am teased enough for my looks (being overweight). I would rather risk illness then stop using deoderant and be teased because I smell. As sad as it sounds, it’s true. Let’s see if we can get something that works and is good for you. Yea, that’ll take time to find or invent. Sad, sad world!!

13. Francisco says:

That’s strange. I checked all my deodorants (Speed Stick and Old Spice… yeah, I’m a guy), and none of them had any form of aluminum. I even checked if the words I didn’t understand were somehow related, and they were not. I wonder if this is just a women’s deodorant thing. Or an American deodorant thing.

14. Christine says:

There is a difference between deodorant (stops the smell) and anti-perspirant (stops the sweating). The natural crystal kind worked for me for about 3 months and then I developed a skin sensitivity to it so I can’t use it anymore. Also the stone does not stop you from sweating, just keeps the bacteria from growing in the sweat. It’s the bacteria that make you smell. Actually, so does eating a lot of red meat – when you sweat, you smell different when you are a red meat eater.
    You can read more about the deodorant/cancer controversy here:

15. mamaV says:

Hi Francisco: I found the same thing when I checked my husbands deodorant – he uses Old Spice as well. NO aluminum.
    Then I got ticked thinking – what the heck, is aluminum in women’s deodorant only? I checked at Walmart and I found several men’s deodorants with aluminum as well, so you guys face the same problem.
    Stick with Old Spice – smells great and healthy!

16. jejnny says:

I thought the deodorant causing cancer was an urban legend?

17. Mrs. B. says:

jejnny….there is a lot of dispute on the aluminum thing. MamaV tends to err on the cautious side from my experience.
    Another choice might be the new LaVanilla deoderant that was introduced. My daughter likes that scent….and now they are making a deoderant.

18. smudgeruk says:

I was under the impression that there was no concrete evidence that it caused cancer… but you never really know who’s telling the truth on these things, do you?
    This from the UK’s leading cancer charity:

19. Sarah says:

There are also a bunch of lovely veggie-based deodorants for sale on etsy! Yum!

20. smudgeruk says:

Here’s a recipe for HOME MADE deodorant, courtesy of BBC’s Grow Your Own Drugs ( ).
    I’ve not tried it myself, but would be really interested to know if it works!
    Pine Deodorant
    1/2 tsp pine resin
    250 ml vodka (or just enough to cover the ingredients)
    rind of 2 lemons, finely chopped
    rind of 2 oranges, finely chopped
    10 fresh bay leaves, finely chopped
    3 tbsp fresh pine needles, finely chopped
    3 tbsp fresh thyme leaves
    2 tbsp glycerine
    100 ml orange blossom water
    1. Crush the pine resin in a pestle and mortar until you have a very fine powder. Pour over 1 tbsp of vodka and stir to dissolve. The mixture should form a thin paste. Add the chopped lemon and orange rind to the mortar and stir with a spoon to remove the last traces of sticky resin from the sides.
    2. Place the resin mixture along with the bay leaves, pine needles and thyme in a Kilner jar. Add enough vodka to cover, then seal and leave in a dark place for 2 weeks to 1 month.
    3. When ready, strain off the herbs through a muslin-lined sieve into a jug, and stir in the glycerine and orange blossom water. Pour into a 100 ml glass spray bottle.
    USE: Do a 24-hour test on a small patch of skin before using. Shake well and apply every morning to underarms, feet, etc.
    STORAGE: Keeps for up to 1 year in a cool,dry place.

21. Anon says:

Kiss My Face makes good liquid rock deodorants that work well.

22. RandomQuorum says:

I use Miessence deodorant, no aluminium and it actually works better than any store bought deodorant for stopping the smell. You will still sweat as its not an antiperspirant, but you won’t smell, even at the end of the day. I’ve converted my MIL and SIL and some aunties, and none of us will use anything else now!

23. Natalie says:

Hm, I did some “research” on-line and asked around. Now, the crystal deodorant is made of potassium alum which is the is the potassium double sulphate of *aluminium* – the very aluminium we are trying to avoid (chemical formula is KAl(SO4)2·12(H2O)). Moreover, in this form it is a sulphate and also a salt. How is this possible that this form is “safe” while any other form of aluminium salt is “bad”? That’s confusing to say the least. I’d love to read form a reliable source – not gossip or rumours. I have not been able to find any research papers that would state that aluminium salts are toxic 100% and/or in the form they are added to cosmetics. It is *suspected* to be a toxin. Maybe it’s too early yet for the full toxicity to have shown up. I don’t know. It’s scary and confusing.
    And one more thing, if the beauty business is just trying to peddle products and make money why would the eco-friendly/natural cosmetics business be any better? Business is business. It’s just on a smaller scale – yet. I just think sometimes the “eco” or “natural” on the label is there just to help sell a product (even of inferior quality) to those naive customers who just buy into those hip trends.
    Before you try to rip me to bits and call me names – I do support the idea of ecology and sustainable living, and I know there are companies that DO practice as they preach.
    As you, MamaV have said many times, knowledge is power. I really would like to know – not just suspect and get paranoid.

24. Lucy-Gabrielle says:

I use pit-rok.
    Funny thing is, I mocked my mother severely when she came home one day, proud as punch with what appeared to be an egg shaped crystal.
    She’d visited a monastry on the isle of Arran and the monks had told her this crystal was used as a “deodrant”.
    Of course I laughed and couldn’t concieve what was effectively a ROCK could prevent anyone from sweating/smelling.
    So months after she’d brought home the rock and had sworn by it I was out shopping for toiletries and came across a marketed form of my mothers crystal.
    For shits and giggles I got it aswell as a mainstream product and tried it out.
    And to my suprise…it works, really works.
    Best deordrant I’ve ever bough and it last for ages!
    I still can’t understand how something as simple as a rock can work so well.
    Though I guess its like most products/foods we use. The more natural, less refined items with no additives always give the best results.
    You get back what you give your body in my opinion.

25. Colby says:

as a note: assiciated content isn’t exactly a credible news source: It’s a website that PAYS YOU to write for them. as long as you get a certain number of hits, you get money.
    They occasioanlly have nifty pieces with good ideas…. but a lot of the articles are tripe written to get hits. You don’t want to know how many articles have been written about ways to personalize your flipflops.
    Anyone can write, submit and get it published. Truth doesn’t need to factor into it. A hot topic is probably very likely to get a lot of hits, and therefor be written about….
    Please don’t take a page off of that website as biblical truth. :)

26. Sweaty Armpits says:

The deodorant is interesting, but I found a very good medicine that help me a lot with the problem of sweaty armpits

27. rachel says: