Would ya get pissed off already!?

I've noticed that the eating disordered types tend to not get pissed off. At least not in front of anyone of value in their lives.

Perfection is the reoccurring theme.

Gotta please everyone or the world will come to an end.

Unworthiness tends to be the reason stated for such a lack of confidence….but what happens to anger?

This post is about how to get angry.

And then use that anger to your advantage. Use it to get motivated. Use it to get off your butt and stand up for yourself.

These thoughts are brought to you by Green Day, my all time favorite band, the one that makes me act like a groupie, screaming my heart out.  Their sound is hard, rough, punk-ish – and really, really pissed off.

The guys that reamed out Walmart for banning their latest CD because it was a bit to REAL for them. The ones that are coming to Chicago in July and my husband got sixteenth row tickets because I told him to spare no expense so he went to a broker and got them for a small fortune but worth every penny.

I can't get enough of it, and the odd thing is the music relaxes me.

I blare their loud as hell tunes in my car or on my iPod while I work, and my brain goes into some sort of trance as I visualize all the wrong doing in my life both real and imaginary. I mean, when a song starts with the line "I'm not f-ing around," you know these punks are speaking our language!

They make me float way to la-la land so I can lambaste all the boneheads in my life that are full of crap yet they have the power. All the suits from the past that were so totally out of line and ignorant, yet I had to play their game, while I devised a scheme to stick it to em. Sort of.

So what is your deal?

Who are you pissed off at?

When do you let yourself blow?

And most of all – do you allow yourself to think, even for a moment, that perhaps you are not the one that is wrong? Maybe you have a good head on your shoulders and the role models in your life suck?

Think about it.
Then find your way to let off steam.
You'll be one hell of a lot better for it.

And maybe, just maybe, you will start to realize you have one hell of a lot to offer, and you will stop wasting your life trying to please all the losers in this world.

-mV

XO

PS Catch Green Day TONIGHT on the Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 10:30CST/11:30EST – UPDATE HERES THE VIDEO…kinda super mellow version of them, guess they had to tone it down for the mass audience.

This entry was posted in Music Therapy and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Would ya get pissed off already!?

1. whatever says:

I’m pissed off all the time and it doesn’t help me..

2. Bela says:

Wow, thank you.
    This came at the perfect time for me.
    I withold a lot of anger. All of it is just kept there until I become a total depressed recluse. I need to let it out and not worry about impressing everyone so much!
    Thank you.

3. Emma says:

If you like angry music, System of a Down do some excellent things.

4. x says:

lol wow.
    i’m unsubscribing from your blog after this. it’s just so obvious that you are a tool.
    ranting about eating disorders is one thing but green day? “punk-ish”? “F-ING”? seriously?
    sigh.

5. Mel Amber says:

Hmm, i really don’t feel like ‘anger’ is a valid emotion. It usually stems from hurt or fear. BUT…when i read ppl’s posts like X I do feel a little angry.
    Ya, MamaV is a real ‘tool’ ..after all, she has only created a blog that works to connect and inspire hundreds of women /men who otherwise feel alone and helpless with very serious ED’s..
    Bye X!!!

6. prettyshinythings says:

Ha ha not mad about Green Day (oh who am I fooling, I loved them when I was 13) but I tend to stick to the punk classics; Iggy Pop, The Slits, The Clash.
    I am angry. I am angry about how profit is put before people. I am angry about politics, about how there no longer seems to be a left or a right. I am angry about the human rights violations in China. I am angry about the fact that there are many people who would rather have lower taxes than a social welfare system. I am angry about a world that makes me feel inferior for being myself and a generation that seems to be made of an appetite for self destruction and apathy.

7. mamaV says:

Hey Mel Amber: Our buddy X is so appropro in her comments.
    What a perfect example of the point here. Someone going out of their way to be a total knob because it makes them feel better about themselves.
    Why do we even let these individuals impact our self esteem you know?
    I’d say because its hard not to. It takes patience and strength. Society seems littered with people that lack integrity…so much so that its easy to start thinking we are the odd balls.
    X, we’ll miss ya. You are one hell of a charmer.
    Carry on,
    -mV

8. mamaV says:

Hey prettyshinythings: Don’t you think we are headed back in the right direction though?
    I do. I always have hope.
    And remember – we make our choices in life. We choose who to surround ourselves with, we choose who to listen to, we choose who to give the power to in our lives.
    We can’t change the world, but we can change our little corner of it you know?
    -mV
    XO

9. Sharon says:

Not all people with EDs show smiling and happy faces. Some I see look sad and angry- they seem like their sadness is righteous and they are happy being sad.
    I don’t think music is therapeutic for the depressed and angry souls. Some people I know get more sad and angry when they listen to such music, and it sucks them in even more.
    “whatever”‘s comment above, the first one here, proves my point. It would be wrong to tell a sad, depressed and continually frustrated person that angry music will soothe.
    Music is powerful, so why not listen to a calming, clear music, that will help you concentrate and solve your problems more logically? How about one that has lyrics you can actually decipher or hear, and not get blasts of negative energy and sorrow?
    Thank you MamaVision for your sincere suggestion. I think it would be helpful also to write a post for those who are depressed too, as many of those with EDs are.

10. PTC says:

That’s the one emotion I can actually have and feel. I get pissed and I want to punch the hell out of something, or someone. I am great at getting pissed off and sort of showing it. Any other emotion, forget about it. Doesn’t happen.

11. Heidi says:

It use to be tough for me to get angry at others. I usually turned it inward and took it out on myself. I am getting better now thru practice, but I have to be careful that I don’t blame others for what really is my fault. Ya know? Keep a balance between the two.

12. Al says:

Music for me is a great outlet. If I have had a horrible day, read something that has me up in arms, feeling insecure…I can find a song to either soothe me so I can better focus or let me dance around my apartment like it was a mosh pit. To get it out in someway other than hurting me is the goal I set for myself since I have been out of treatment.
    Sharon I agree with you when you said “Some people I know get more sad and angry when they listen to such music, and it sucks them in even more”. That is true that some people should not listen to loud irate punk rock when they are upset…but on the other hand some (me)sometimes use it as an outlet to let out those emotions or maybe feel less alone. Sometimes I can listen to a song and not feel so alone…like listen to those lyrics… someone else has felt the way I do and they expressed it in a song.
    I am currently listening to My chemical romance “I’m Not Okay (I Promise)” because I feel unsettled… no mad as hell after reading this blog http://emqtv.com/blog/uncommonsense/2008/10/25/advice-4-women-how-to-not-get-a-deserved-raping/. Rather than SI or something else destructive with what I am feeling I can let that energy out. In my opinion what this man wrote in his blog is BS (but it is his opinion)…right now I can’t seem to find a more eloquent way to put it…give me time.
    Emotions vary throughout the day…early today I was listening to Alison Moyet “Windmills of your mind” because I needed a cry…I know her music helps me let it out. SO to each their own. Find out what works for you.
    Things that piss me off….mean and ignorant people, rapists, and people that don’t let me try and speak for myself. I have a voice and I am f***ing going to start using it. Pardon if this response is spastic…sort of my mindset at the moment. Thanks for your time.

13. BobbyNectar says:

“Whether people like me is unimportant”. That’s a line in a Dan Bern song. I wish I could live by those words day in and day out — I can in moments, but then the confidence is gone.
    Anyway, “Corduroy” by Pearl Jam does it for me.

14. mamaV says:

Hey BNectar: I love Dan Bern and you can tell HE lives by those words. I do too, and rarely falter.
    Keep it real,
    mV

15. Danni says:

I think I really like this blog. It’s funny, because you really remind me of my mom in a ‘doesn’t accept bs’ kind of way, a good way. But this post makes me think of her as well, not quite with anger, because I express that… but not about real things. But with considering that I might not always be the one that’s wrong, even in any situation really… I forget to consider that possibility. Thank you.

16. stacy says:

hahha. thanks.
    i’m not really one to get mad, actually when i do i start to smile a little. i cant help it, but the whole emotion seems silly and just child like innapropriate.