Best eating disorder blog

Why we are so demented?

13 May

Maybe it's because we can't even walk through Target without being bombarded with ridiculous fat fear and skinny love as seen on this hilarious garden plaque….

What kind of person places this in her garden for all to see?
What kind of friend purchases this for her ole' pals so they can yuck it up together?
Why do we perpetuate this total and complete nonsense?
Why do we cover up pain with humor?
Why in the hell is this acceptable??

Plus, it's not like some Granny is widdling these things out for the local craft fair…this is Target for god's sake, the manufacturer of this product had to be damn sure they would sell a couple million of these in order to afford mass production. Think about that- our society has become this accustomed to making fun of FAT. This accustomed to female competition on body size, that it has become a complete and  total joke.

And finally, how exactly am I to explain this statement to my 9 year old daughter without telling the damn truth?

"What does this mean mama?"

"Well honey, you must accept that our society is totally obsessed with being thin, so much so, that we pray about being a different person."

"What does that mean for me?"

"You are a loser if you are not thin, understood?"

"Can we buy a scale mama?"

Pathetic,
mV

10 Responses to “Why we are so demented?”

1. smudgeruk 13. May, 2009 at 9:26 am #

It looks like a gravestone…

2. ... 13. May, 2009 at 10:55 am #

True. I really hope that wasn’t a real conversation with your daughter though!

3. Melissa 13. May, 2009 at 12:04 pm #

I agree, I thought it was a headstone, too!!! How sad, how pathetic. But all the same, how true … body competition is ridiculous … but so very real.
    Did you see my post today about Wintergirls, by the way? Curious to hear your thoughts! (I mentioned your post from last week, so you might see some click-throughs).

4. notsosweetsixteen 13. May, 2009 at 4:33 pm #

This is so sad. What is even more sad is that it’s a legitimate thought that crosses people’s minds. I know there has been more than one occasion when I’ve thought how great it was that I was the thinnest person in the room. It’s a horrible thought, but it’s how I’m programmed, being sixteen right now. It’s how I’ve grown up. That’s no excuse, however. It’s my job to try to break this cycle.

5. Mrs. B 14. May, 2009 at 6:40 am #

MamaV,
    People who live in this world come from all different kinds of worldviews and they struggle with all different things for different reasons.
    Not all people are “sensitive”. Or at least not sensitive to the same things.
    I believe that the key to being heard is to speak your case with dignity and sensitivity to the fact that other people have not seen your perspective. Explain it to them. But gently so that they do not tune you out.
    I have a stepdaughter who is a model and believes she has …in her words, “the perfect body”. I have a daughter who is also beautiful who hates her body. We run into issues all the time. The “perfect body” daughter is always throwing things out that are really damaging to the ED daughter and neither one is very open to the fact that they each have a different worldview.
    People are just not all going to perceive things in the same way.
    If you see someone with this “headstone” in their yard, it might be an opportunity for a quiet conversation about the pervasive and constant message that reduces women to the shell of their body.
    BTW ladies. I am reading a book called Lifetime Guarantee. (It is Christian) and the author is talking about the idea that a human being is the soul…not the shell…which the author calls the “earthsuit”. It’s really nothing more than a suit. It is not you. It should not define you.
    Also…great news. Jes COMPLETED her first semester with all A’s….highest grades in all of her classes (I’m not sure THAT’s so great…it means we still struggle with perfectionism!) but she did not isolate. She has made friends. She’s living….not locking herself away to binge and purge her life away.
    Live, girls. Accept your earthsuits. Have fun accessorizing your earth suits. But live.

6. Meryt Bast 14. May, 2009 at 11:24 am #

Good news about Jes, Mrs. B. :-)

7. Mrs. B 14. May, 2009 at 7:12 pm #

Thanks, Meryt.
    Be well, everyone.

8. Carrie 15. May, 2009 at 6:23 am #

You know, instead of just talking about it, what about organising a mass e-mail thing? Compose a simple email that people can copy and change themselves, and send it to Target. Spread the word to other blogs who will surely agree and join in. This is a horrible thing to sell. No one will ever in their right mind create a plaque this the likeness of this which mentions skin colour, race, disability or illness, why this?

9. Heidi 19. May, 2009 at 8:29 pm #

I have this on my myspace page, nice and big. Sorry for those that disagree. But unless you are 408 lbs, you will never know what it’s like to be the fattest person in the room, not able to wear a seatbelt cause it doesn’t fit, having a hard time wiping in bathroom stalls cause of the limited space (cheering when the handicap stall is available), not fitting in a chair at a theater, restaurant, other public place, actually breaking a chair at a restaurant in front of everyone and struggling to get up as everyone stares. Until you have gone thru all that, you do not get what it is like and why every night you pray to be thin and if you can’t be like that, then please, make others suffer with me so I am not so alone!

10. Danni 21. May, 2009 at 12:16 pm #

This kills me. Women are encouraged to judge ourselves by the standards of others, as opposed to having our own standards based on our own values. It pushes the idea that how you feel about you is irrelevant, all that’s important is how others see you.
    And it reminds me of how easy it is to go from ‘happy as long as I’m not the fattest girl in the room’ to ‘only happy if I’m the thinnest girl in the room’. And how flawed both ideas are.
    That plaque is truly obnoxious.