Healthy At Any Size

You don't know Kate Harding? Wake up!

She is THE queen of fat acceptance. And in case you don't know what "fat acceptance means," here is my basic definition;

-To be healthy at any size
-To be comfortable in your own skin whether size 6 or 16
-To be blind to an individuals body shape and instead focus on their face and expression (wow! what a world that would be!!)

Harding lays it out way better than I on her blog "Shapely Prose", and that's why she has been officially deemed the Queen of the Fat-O-Sphere (maybe she can work on Oprah's attitude).

Harding is living it, and she sure as hell is not quiet about it; in today's Chicago Tribune she rants on wild as ever;

"MY GOD! COULD IT BE???" responding to a BBC article suggested that obesity is largely genetic. "Hang on – I need to call my fat sisters, fat brothers, fat aunts and fat cousins and ask if they have ever heard of such a thing!

Harding questions some of the science behind the "obesity is unhealthy" argument, and states "even if you buy the health arguments, what are fat people supposed to do?

So, as a skinny chick with fat friends, I hope you will browse around on Hardings site….I think many of you struggling with anorexia will find similar struggles on the other side. And the rest of us will learn a thing or two about compassion and understanding.

Two other things to check out;

The B.S in BMI – check out this slideshow, you will likely see yourself in it.

New Harding book with a title that says it all;
Lessons From The Fat-o-sphere: Quit Dieting and Declare A Truce With Your Body

This entry was posted in Fat Fear and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Healthy At Any Size

1. Vanessa says:

yay! thanks so much for a blog on fat acceptance!

2. jenny says:

I like Kate Harding.

3. Melissa says:

The BMI slide show was really interesting. With this 10-15 lb. gain, I’m definitely back in the “overweight” category, even though no one would call me “fat” and I am still able to fit in most of my 6s and all my 8s. Very interesting.

4. Carrie says:

I’ve been a big fan of Kate Harding for a while now, and I have to say Fat Acceptance has helped me GREATLY in my recovery, from accepting my larger body to fighting back to those who think they can judge me based solely on my weight.
    And specifically, a better term to use would be “size acceptance” because I find some people assume that accepting fat means we “bash thin people” which isn’t true. It’s a matter of opinion and taste though, and I guess you might have to clarify that with people. We’re all humans deserving of love and respect no matter what size we are.

5. Mrs. B. says:

I really appreciate Kate’s message. I wish she didn’t feel like she had to be so “in your face” in her delivery. I don’t think that our culture is benefitting by so many people being so angry all the time.

6. Sharon says:

I sorry, but why is there a need for Kate Harding to call herself fat? Why label herself by her physical appearnace?
    Why is there a need for MamaVision to label herself as a “skinny chick”? Hasn’t one of the main points of her blog to be to tell patients of eating disorders to supercede the superficiality of looks and instead focus on character and behavior?
    I feel like this needless labeling is contradictory to the message that I thought MamaVision wants to send to us.

7. Vanessa says:

I don’t know if you’ve ever been fat yourself, but if you haven’t then you may not understand quite how much being fat affects everything in your life in terms of how people treat you. When you’re fat- not slightly overweight or within normal limits but far larger than most people- it affects everything. I point this out only to say that when you’re fat you don’t have the option of thinking that appearances don’t matter.
    In order to speak out about how much appearances DO matter in our society you have to first admit that there’s something in your appearance that’s causing people to treat you differently. You have to admit you are, in fact, fat and thats why people are discriminating against you. If you insist it’s what’s inside that counts it denies what’s really going on, and makes changing it impossible.
    Does that make sense?

8. Vanessa says:

oh crap! I think I phrased that badly. Sharon, I meant “you” in general, I certainly didn’t mean to imply anything about your personal appearance, in fact your comment made me think you probably aren’t fat. (probably you understood but better safe than sorry)

9. Carrie says:

To Sharon – I agree with Vanessa here. Make friends with someone who’s a size 12, or better, a 22 and above – and you’ll see that they would have faced some kind of discrimination in their life based solely on their size. For example: I’m a size US 12 and once I almost had heatstroke (waitress working in an outdoor cafe) and my female boss blamed it on my weight – not on the fact that I was wearing two thick cotton layers (my own sleeved shirt, the sleeveless cafe shirt over it) and it was a very hot day. She excused my male colleagues who were a little on the overweight side, and told one of the managers to order proper sleeved shirts for my male colleagues, but said nothing about mine. I really don’t know what to call that, but she never called me back to work there and even if she did, I wouldn’t.
    Kate basically calls herself fat because she is fat – in a descriptive sense, not using “fat” as another word for things like “smelly”, “ugly”, “useless” or “stupid”. You will call an elephant big because it IS big, not because it’s a horrid animal.