What happened to the blushing brides?

Your wedding day. The day that you are full of excitement, bounding with energy, and beaming with confidence!

Hmmm…does this model look like she is ready to party?

Or is she ready to start balling? Or maybe ready to keel over?

The designer of these gowns is Amsale, brought to us straight from Ethiopia. Yes, Ethiopia, the country that suffered the 1985 famine that wiped out over 1 million people due to starvation. Wouldn't you think this woman would know better?

Here's her mission statement from her site;

Are you blind? This is not confidence in the eyes of your models. It's death warmed over. It's the quite obvious look of suffering and forced starvation. I would think this misery should be quite familiar to you if you bothered to care.

Are these bridesmaids or zombies? Both appear gaunt and tired, and the waif on the right is leaning to the side like she could drop any minute.

"In Ethiopia there were no fashion designers. I never knew that
designing beautiful clothes was a profession to which one could aspire," says Amsale.

Could it be that the people of Ethiopia have more important things to worry about than materialism? Perhaps they are most concerned with feeding their children than wrapping themselves in some overpriced garb created by a pompous designer who has forgotten her roots.

Amsale, you should be ashamed of yourself for parading these sickly girls out on stage to satisfy your ego trip.

Wake up and get real,
mV

This entry was posted in Fashion Freaks and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to What happened to the blushing brides?

1. mamaV says:

Here’s the email I just sent to Ms. Asmale’s Press Department.
    Please send her your own personal feedback here: http://amsalewoman.net/contact/action.lasso
    ———–
    Ms. Amsale: I thought you may be interested in this post: http://www.mamavision.com/mamavision/2009/04/what-happened-to-the-blushing-brides.html
    In the States, our girls starve to death because of mental illness and media/fashion influence, not due to social problems and third world issues as in Ethiopia.
    Please think about this next time you dress a model. They may seem happy on the outside, but they are just a part of a sick industry that forces them to live at unhealthy weights to be considered worthy.
    Can you instead help us send the right message to young women in this country by showcasing your designs on vibrant, young women?
    mamaVISION.com

2. Lily says:

YAY! I’m so glad I sent you the link, because you are such powerful platform for these issues! THANKS!

3. R.I. says:

I’m not trying to nitpick, but the typo is too hilarious…
    “ready to start balling”–
    “balling” is a euphemism for, well, depends on your age range. Us thirtysomethings would say having sex, but these days it apparently means stuffing cocaine in your vagina. You probably meant bawling. :)

4. Michelle says:

This saddens me..
    I know that on my wedding day, I’ll be so excited/anxious/nervous that I’ll probably eat MORE than normal. There is NO way you’ll see my ribs/shoulder blades/collar bones on my wedding day! In fact, I’m going to buy my dress a little too BIG so I don’t even have to worry about it!
    No dieting the months before for this chica!
    I wish the US would catch on to what is going down. Then we could be the revolution for the rest of the world to wake up.
    These girls, though on stage and may be nervous because of that, do NOT look happy at all! I understand that the years AFTER a marriage may be unhappy, but let’s be honest! Most people on their wedding day are finally tying the knot with their best friends! How AWESOME is that?!
    I hope someone will catch on soon. Not just for wedding dress models… but for all models. If a model doesn’t look like she is having fun, I don’t want to wear the clothes she is trying to sell. If she doesn’t look like she is at a healthy weight, I don’t want to wear the clothes she is trying to sell.

5. mamaV says:

Ahhh…yeah RI I did mean “bawling,” both of your references to “balling” are new to me….I’m not in the hip crowd anymore, not the druggy crowd either!!
    Take it easy!
    mV

6. Maeve says:

I’m sure this lady has a much better grasp of Ethiopia’s problems then you or I. If I were her I certainly wouldn’t give a crap about America’s problems.
    In America, women are starving themselves due to pressure from the media?
    I’m sure there are a lot of women in Ethiopia who would quickly switch “pressures” with you. Deal with the media rather than famine, epidemic disease, and extreme poverty.
    I sympathize with those suffering from eating disorders. I realize people can lose their lives to mental illness. But comparing eating disordered Americans with access to state of the art health-care, food, and education to victims of famine shows a real lack of perspective and gratitude. Asking for higher morals from a designer because they come from a country raved by disease and poverty? Whilst sitting in your cushy computer chair in the USA? Seriously???

7. Emma says:

I wouldn’t expect the models to look happy. Models are not brides. They’re paid to look moody and cool. They’re not meant to be actual brides on their wedding days.
    I don’t see how these pictures are any worse than any other model pictures, to be honest.

8. Danni says:

Hmm… I certainly agree that the models are too thin, and look somewhat less than enthused, but I agree with the above commenter in that they’re models. That’s the general idea. Women who are chosen because of their striking physical similarity to coat hangers and their ability to look disaffected and unenthusiastic.
    I don’t quite understand the purpose in calling out this particular designer, as they all generally speaking use these same kinds of models to showcase their clothing. Is it just the fact that she’s Ethiopian? I suppose there is some black irony there, but I don’t think the connection is direct enough to be relevant.
    The quote you give from her seems like it is being judged out of context. There is so much wrong with the fashion industry, but one of the things that is right is the simple desire of designers to create clothing, to do something they love, to follow a creative pursuit. It seems odd to target a designer when the root causes of the problems lie elsewhere, or are at least more complex.