Levi's Brand Launches Sick Skinny Campaign

Levi's used to be the bomb, but in recent years their brand has tanked due to competition from other small, boutique brands. I personally still love their jeans and their fit…but after seeing their recent ads I will hesitate to purchase in the future.

On Facebook this morning, I was served this disturbing ad of a young woman modeling Levi's that would fit about 1% of the entire population (no girls, this is NOT attractive).

What kind of marketing strategy is this?

This only further alienates their consumers, such as myself, who look to Levi's as a real American brand. Further, a look at their web site homepage shows some dude in skin tight, spandex like, Yellow jeans.

Ahh…I don't think so.
-mV

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Levi's Brand Launches Sick Skinny Campaign

1. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

okay the yellow jeans, thats just…well im no fan of the trend but the girl in this ad looks perfectly fine. 1%? wht is she negitive sized? dosn’t look it, are you talking about one other ad of theirs? on the other end…ma this is just really normal to me now.

2. cuileann says:

:(no girls, this is NOT attractive):
    Thanks. :) I love you and your reasonable standards.

3. Lily says:

OMG, I TOTALLY saw that ad and thought the same things- what in the hell? Levi’s used to be about being comfortable, and now they’re just perpetuating the message that the only way you’ll be happy is if you can fit in those skinny jeans. UGHHHH!

4. S says:

I think that for her height, the girl in the ad above does look skinny and healthy people after puberty with her BMI probably do consist about 1-4% of the American population.

5. Araea says:

I too am confused, I think she looks perfectly healthy! My first thought to this ad was WOW, she is beautiful and so normal, especially compared to some of the other models out there.
    As for the yellow jeans, they are just a hideous trend that will be over in about one week, when they hit Glamour’s don’t spotting page.
    MamaV, what do you think is unattractive about this model? Was it a different ad you saw?

6. smudgeruk says:

I’d be interested to know how tall that model is. There’s not much meat on her, is there?

7. L says:

the girl in the ad looks like a normal sized, healthy person. she’s not emaciated nor is she overweight. i don’t see how this ad is unattractive?

8. Chelsea says:

Everyone you just have to watch this video- its truly amazing- i was not expecting this at all- just goes to show that you should not judge a book by its cover- your know what i mean when you watch the video on youtube.
    Mama V- maybe you could do a post about this on ur blog? – you should also watch this- honestly your be completely stunned and shocked – i was overcome with emotions when watching this- truly a stunning performance.
    Chelsea xx

9. Dot says:

What are you people SEEING? She does NOT look at ALL healthy.

10. Kate says:

I am very confused… This girl looks perfectly fine and healthy to me. Am I missing something completely?

11. Amanda Viola says:

I happen to know the girl in this ad and as a matter of fact, she is a healthy size 4! Those of you who say she is unhealthy are so deeply insecure and maybe you should get up off your asses and go to the gym! I know she does everyday!