Toddlers & Tieras: The Most Psycho Show in America

What are flippers?

Dentures for toddlers used in Beauty Pageants.

Flippers are used when baby teeth fall out, causing the child's smile to be no longer perfect enough for pageantry (God forbid a beauty queen would be allowed to stand on stage with a tooth missing, that would reveal to the audience this child is actually a living breathing human being, not some sort of trained robot). Disturbing.

What is a Glitz Padget?

A kids pageant which deliberately focuses on making the children older than they actually are

, through the use of spray on tans, diamonds, sparkles,  wigs, hairpieces, and over the top makeup such as fake eyelashes. It's your basic child sexualization that this country has become accustomed to. Unacceptable.

What is Toddlers and Tiaras?
A reality show focused on the worst of the worst stage parents, who go about polishing, glossing, and prepping their little dollies to prance on stage. The kids cry as they are primped, while the mothers paste on their fake smiles and tell the viewing audience how much their child loves pageants.

Why is it then, when one does not win, the parent is the one balling, not the kid? Either these parents are living vicariously through their children, or they are just whacked. Scary.

Who is a very disturbed man?

This demented father who started planning pageantry for his daughter the moment he found out his wife was having a girl when pregnant, and is now a blogger for the program.

Who wants to ban this show?

Go nuts, there is already a Facebook group dedicated to the cause.

mV

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Toddlers & Tieras: The Most Psycho Show in America

1. Hannah says:

Wow. This is just awful.
    Hey Mamavision: I have a suggestion for a blog post for you. I recently saw on Jezebel a post about this awful new Frito-Lay campaign. Frito-Lay is trying to increase sales of their products by targeting females through the “low fat baked” chips, “smartfood” popcorn, and “baked” lays chips. They have changed the packaging to look “less harsh” and more natural, and are even trying to place their products in an easy place for women to find (since us women are such harried, insane grocery shoppers and don’t know how to look for products in aisles). What’s worse, their new ad campaign, “Only in a Women’s World” has their own site with video clips, dress-your-own doll, and an insight on four “fearlessly female” characters. The ads are stories about these four women who complain about their multiple break-ups, struggle to fit into their bikinis, cry over their broken “skinny mirror” and exclaim how these new chips are better than their “push-up bras”. It is atrocious, and blatantly full of so many stereotypes. You should go check it out and be prepared to scream:
    and Jezebel’s article,
    God help us!
    Hannah

2. jamie says:

The show is not the problem. It is merely exposing an underlying problem in society. The parents are the ones who should be criticized.

3. Amy says:

Poor girls. They are going to grow up thinking that their looks are all that is important because that is what they are judged on.

4. Ishmael Ahab says:

A true mother or father who truly loves their children will never want to see them cry. That’s why I see parents like that on that show as heartless and not worthy for parenthood. Irresponsible.

5. Lia says:

I remember my Mom flipping the bird at some mall pageant caster who wanted the white-and-red (my twin brother had brilliantly white hair as a kid, mine was very red) twins for their show. We were fresh from the beach, dirty, wet, happy- and they wanted to turn us into dolls.
    I was very small, but I really remember my Mom going ballistic.
    These shows are the lowest of the low to me- give me one kid who’d not rather run around outside getting a nice “fake tan” made of mud. Putting on Mom’s shoes and clothes doesn’t count as liking to be pricked and pulled and powdered and your feet hurting in these awful shoes.

6. Alex says:

Oh, it makes me want to hurl when i see these mothers and fathers saying “Our girls love these pagents! They are the ones who wanted it!”
    That’s because pagents, fake beauty and material looks is all they are taught from an age as low as 3. They don’t know any better, so off course they’ll say they love it.
    You are taught that all you really have in the end is your looks, and if you don’t win you are nothing…That’s miserabel.
    What angst and pressure which are given to these kids.
    No matter what people say, 5 year olds + pagents = Bad and warped things

7. Melissa says:

I feel for these little girls. At the tender age of 4, they don’t have a clue what’s acceptable or not. I know at 4, I loved my tutus and princess tiaras … but my mom never would have thought to put me on stage for anything other than dance recitals! (I danced from ages 4-15).

8. Abby says:

this article seemed sort of relevant to the subject: http://arcchicago.blogspot.com/2009/03/girl-who-cried.html
    relevant and depressing

9. mamaV says:

Ok Lia: Your story is hilarious. Your mom sounds awesome…I don’t even know if I would have the balls to flip them the bird!
    Really, when you get down to it, this is just irresponsible parenting.
    -mV

10. Lia says:

MamaV: I think you would totally flip them off. My Mom says it’s an extension of the protective instinct- you don’t really want your kid up for grabs at the auction… err.. pageant. Unless you do, and you’re really weird. Read that dad’s page about his two year-old.
    I was supposed to be perfect in everything (yeah, back to that old topic again), but I didn’t even start tumbling classes until I was three. TWIRLING at two? Who is he kidding?

11. It was nice reading your post. I needed to know such kind of information to update myself. I work in my friend’s boutique of flower girl dresses and also help in the online promotion.

12. suzy says:

i think its ok

13. Beautiful dresses for little girls ,with proper dresses and make over the girls are trying to show them a older look .

14. These toddler shows focuses on fancy dresses displayed by toddlers ,they are source of fun and pleasure .

15. We have seen great competition among children in flower dress fancy parties , these prove as the source of great pleasure and fun with amazing attires in beautiful colors .

16. These shows are a great source of fun and competition among childrens , hence dresses are considered important .