It's Slim-Fast for lunch kids!

True story…You are a teacher at a grade school, and it is lunchtime.

You see a 5th grade student pull a can of Slim-Fast out of her lunch box.

What do you do?
What do you think?
What can you say?
What should you say?

This is what is happening in our grade schools today; parents with such severe lack of judgment that their answer to a perceived or perhaps real weight problem is to have her choke down a diet shake (in this particular case there is no weight problem what-so-ever).

Think about how other children are impacted by this?
What diet habits have you seen in young children and do you remain silent or speak up?

Personally, I'd raise hell.

-mV

This entry was posted in Fat Fear and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to It's Slim-Fast for lunch kids!

1. emmy. says:

i’m really uncomfortable with the idea of this.
    slimfast is pure crap, first of all.
    i just.. what do they think they’re teaching their kids?! and what kind of message is this sending to the OTHER kids around them?? it’s a scary f-ing domino effect.
    if i, as a teacher, witnessed this, i would first have a talk with the school nurse.. maybe a guidance counselor. then maybe talk to the parent as a team. ..but i’m far from a teacher.. or even a parent.

2. Monica says:

There was also an article in the NY Times yesterday about children afraid to eat anything “not healthy”. They have an encyclopedic knowledge of trans fat, sodium content, etc. So we have another schizoid development here–“health” conscious or “diet” conscious??? Does this have to be the answer to the childhood obesity epidemic? All reflective of parents’ fear. Where are we going on this?

3. angela says:

maybe that is all the mum had in to give for a drink – like a milkshake, not necesarily as a diet drink. Did the kid have anything else to eat?

4. c says:

I once heard tow girls at a playground (they looked about 9 yrs old) saying to one another, “Well, I’m pretty skinny but my thighs are fat.” “I need to lose weight, too, don’t worry.”
    Almost made me cry for them.
    I remember limiting my food at about age 9 because I was sad that I was growing out of my favorite clothes. I wanted to wear them longer, and I thought that if I ate less and “sucked it in,” I’d look better and people would notice me more. Fast forward a dozen years and I was in IP treatment for my eating disorder.

5. Lily says:

OMG, SlimFast shakes were part of the behaviours that my best friend used in junior high when she was struggling deeply with an eating disorder. “Luckily” my eating disorder started not as a diet, but as a way to calm myself down from ADHD.
    That being said, because I’m very open about challenging peoples’ idiocy, I would most definitely try to talk to the student and offer them a more nutritious and NORMAL lunch (yes, they DO have a cafeteria at the school). If I weren’t the teacher of the student, I’d go to the principal and have the parents called in. Otherwise, I would call the parents myself.

6. Julanar says:

Unfortunately, all the “childhood obesity epidemic” hysteria has been so deeply integrated into schools that I don’t think the authorities would even see a kid drinking Slim-Fast as a problem. They’d be more likely to praise her.

7. MissNomer says:

SlimFast is not always used as a weight reduction tool. It tastes pretty decent and keeps forever. I am a runner and I used to use it for a quick recovery drink after a run. (in fact I would sometimes have 2 of them back to back). Slim Fast has kind of a cult following among runners, few of whom use it for weight loss. Why not regular Chocolate Milk? Hmm….mainly b/c milk goes bad and you can buy a case of slim fast and chuck one in the fridge before you go running.
    It could really be as simple as that. Although I do agree Slim Fast is filled with salts and other crap i wouldn’t want a kid eating. HTH.

8. Kristi says:

I started drinking slim fast in 5th grade…..

9. Norma says:

Badly need your help. There are always survivors at a massacre. Among the victors, if nowhere else.
    I am from Ghana and now teach English, give true I wrote the following sentence: “Free movies, videos, tv shows, video games.”
    Thanks for the help :(, Norma.

10. Bryan says:

Or, you could just mind your own business and let the parents raise their own kids… there’s a novel concept.

11. Mom of 4 says:

My child is autistic and we use slim fast and similar shakes to fill in the gaps nutritionally when he won’t eat other things. Don’t judge people unless you know the whole story.

12. Anonymous says:

Slim fast is better than soda, it has vitamins. Children usually don’t eat what they should and this child could be drinking it for vitamins. Talk to the parents first, school doesn’t serve healthy food anyways.

13. Erica says:

Dont judge unless you know what is going on. I drink Slim Fast and my kids tried it and like how it tastes. I didnt tell them it was for me to lose weight. I let them have some sometimes as something to flavor their milk with the benefit of added vitamins. None of my kids have weight problems. I have 4 kids and 2 of them are very picky eaters. My 9 year old son in particular seems like he is always hungry, but is picky. So a slim fast shake is basically a snack and he is usually hungry again in an hour. (When he takes his shirt off you can see his ribs, so he definitely isnt overweight) Maybe the shake was something she requested because it tastes good. Maybe it was an alternative to soda or even most fruit juices which can be high in calories and sugar and comparatively low in nutrients.