Wanna have a Fling?

Hold on to your hats ladies, its time to introduce Fling!  The secret-sparkly-naughty-low-calorie-indulgent-little fingers for the chocolate obsessed woman in all of us.

"Your boyfriend doesn't
need to know," is one of the themes of the Fling marketing campaign.

Let me get this straight – when we eat a chocolate bar it MUST be;
1) kept a secret
2) low in calories
3) make us feel naughty (I can't stand that word)

I don't know about you, but I've been eating candy and chocolate out in public for some time now and I have yet to be arrested.

Here's the really fun part girls- it sparkles! Even with different color sparkles! Yippee!!! They just added a touch of Mica, a mineral also used in makeup, teeth whitener, automobile paint and plastic containers (don't worry its totalllyyy safe).

The Fling website is the greatest, it is so 80's you have to check it out. Here are the homepage images;

What kind of marketing moron put these together? This product is from Mars, can't they throw some cash at the campaign?

My favorite image is the woman staring at the camera, with a huge ass grin on her face, while putting on lipstick. Now that is so very, very relevant to selling a chocolate bar.

Wrap this turd up in a pink package and you've got the ultimate kick-in-the-crotch candy bar for women across the land!

Enough said,

This entry was posted in Body Image and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

19 Responses to Wanna have a Fling?

1. jenny says:

I don’t have anything to add… just wanted to say great post and love your blog!

2. Melissa says:

Awesome post, MamaV. I can assure you the digital creative firm where I work doesn’t have Mars on the roster … :)

3. Smudgeruk says:

Thing is, when you look at the product: it’s pink, it’s sparkly.
    Who likes pink and sparkly things the most? Pre-teen girls, at a guess.
    Go on, reel ’em in while they’re young.

4. Sarah says:

lololol. that is disgusting.

5. LaurenZane says:

I was am going through a really rough period where my outlook is quite bleak. I hadn’t laughed in days. My favorite line, “Wrap this turd up in a pink package and you’ve got the ultimate kick-in-the-crotch candy bar for women across the land!”
    Thanks, MamaV. I needed that.

6. emmy. says:

“finally, a chocolate bar you don’t have to feel guilty about!”
    ..yes, please.. reinforce the fact that women SHOULD feel guilty when eating all other chocolate bars.
    i don’t really feel guilty. and i’m pretty open about my affair with chocolate.
    oh, and is it just me.. or do these look suspiciously like Twix©?????

7. Sharon says:

This product is available in 8 stores within a five mile radius of my zip code. One line stuck out to me: “It’s slilm, but not skinny.”
    As far as I know, slim and skinny are synonymous. The website is loaded with a bunch meaningless, pretty, and teen-appealing phrases and photos.
    Retail stores in CA only carry the stick of junk, but lucky for those who crave to have a fling, it is also available to be purchased online. Again, the marketing team behind this product feels the need to give the message that those who buy this product will look good and ultimately be appealing to men.
    I’ve seen this type of advertising before; it’s nothing new. It’s good I haven’t seen anyone around me in CA be tricked into buying this product. It’s not that popular yet.

8. cybele says:

I tried them (in fact, that photo you’ve got is of the ones I actually ate). They’re not bad bars. If they wanted to market them, I think going with “something to share” might be more empowering.
    The weird thing though is that I haven’t seen any of the marketing, but then again, I don’t buy “women’s” magazines or watch talk shows.

9. Monica says:

This reminds me of a diet bar from the ’70’s called “Figurines”. The theme song to the commercial (which went to the tune of “Tangerine”) went like this:
    Figurines do a lady proud
    It’s the diet lunch that you can crunch out loud!
    Glad to know we have the permission to eat calorie restricted crap out loud and in public again!

10. Leasa says:

I’ve never seen this before. I hate it. It sounds disgusting.
    I’d rather eat a real chocolate bar that actually tastes good, and feel guilty about that, than eat a chocolate bar with mica in it. eww. Thanks for the heads up.

11. Leasa says:

Oh, yeah, and so it’s not just me who is self-conscious to eat in public? It makes me angry that I obviously haven’t done it to myself, because there are so many other women out there struggling with the same thing.

12. .C. says:

As for the eating in public thing, it’s still a struggle for me too. I did have a good spell this past weekend though, when I visited my sibs in Chicago with my friend .J. We ate at several restaurants, including an all you can eat Indian Buffet (I loveeeee Indian and Middle Eastern food; it’s my favorite). I am happy to report I ate as much Naan as I felt like eating and it didn’t kill me. It’s often especially hard for me to eat in front of .J. because of his body type… for those of you who haven’t seen other posts of mine that mention him, he’s ridiculously skinny; about 110lbs and he’s taller than me. He doesn’t have an ED though – this is just natural for him. Anyway, it was a great weekend for the most part. And I think I looked good, despite not restricting my eating at all.

13. Leasa says:

It would be interesting to have a guy sample it (without seeing the wrapper, because that would be the deciding factor, no doubt) and see how crappy he thought it was.
    Geez, why must women have all the problems: hair, wardrobe, nails, shoes, body, food, everything. And guys just zoom by and everything is seemingly easy. Well, there is definitely wayyyyyyy less pressure.
    Makes me so angry. I wish women would decide which chocolate they prefer. Who cares about lack of sparkles. Just trust yourself and you’ll KNOW if you like it. You totally don’t need any numbers or wrapper designs to decide something like that!

14. over40fun says:

BTW, are you interested in join — MeetBoomer(dot)com — this is a good place for baby boomers and other mature singles in their 40’s, 50’s and 60’s to keep the flames of love and passion burning.

15. Carrie says:

I’m supposed to be trusting a chocolate whose website has the silhouette of a woman with a handbag falling out her vagina? No thanks. I’ll stick to my non-shiny Twix bars any day.

16. smudgeruk says:

“We created FLING™ Chocolate Fingers to celebrate the female spirit – the unapologetically feminine playful, naughty, flirtatious, and alluring nature that brings shimmer into the world. ”
    Damn. Must be where I’m going wrong…
    I’m not sexy-naughty-flirtatious enough, BECAUSE APPARENTLY THAT’S WHAT WOMEN ARE SUPPOSED TO BE LIKE!

17. mamavision says:

Hi Guys: On the public eating thing….try this.
    Eat at the gym. Everyone freaks.
    Usually I am running around like a nut so I keep snacks in my car. A few times, I came in the gym munching on a granola bar and it was hilarious because its kind of like an unsaid rule and I felt the glares
    “You don’t EAT here- you get rid of the FOOD here! Get the hell out of here lady!”
    How freeing is was though…maybe it made some people think…this is about being healthy here, not burning off as many calories as possible.

18. mamavision says:

Hi Lauren: I have to tell you that when I wrote that line, I hesitated.
    I thought…I can’t write that! But then I thought – hell yea I can, I can write anything I want!
    Glad you cracked up, it had me rolling too.

19. noorsaw says:

Oh my goodness…I’d forgotten all about figurines!!!!! I tried one when I was babysitting once, and I think it WAS a turd. I haven’t been at this site in a while, and look what I’ve been missing. This whole conversation made me laugh JUST when I needed it!