Old Bag

Wrinkles are coming to get me…..

This entry was posted in Fake Beauty and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Old Bag

1. kay says:

Greetings mama v,
    I say the line can be wherever you want it to be mama! no i don’t think it hypocritical of you. You are a woman and more than that you are HUMAN..it is human nature to want to look our best and as long as what you are doing is not endangering your health…then you are okay.
    I can see where you are coming from in terms of how outspoken you have been and the niche that this blog has carved out in terms of loving you for you and natural beauty, but you know what mama, this is good that you shared this, because that shows how pervasive those messages are, that nobody is immune. I don’t think anyone would fault you for using a little anti-wrinkle cream, now when i click on here and read you have gone “on vacation” code for i was recovering from a face lift and lipo…lol..then we’d have a problem :)
    i love ya mama v

2. Mara says:

I finally got around to reading your blog after Melissa has RAVED about it for months now! SO glad I did!
    Anyway, I’m 28 and already am into the anti-aging creams and stuff… I figure, if using something like lotions etc, makes me feel better and more confident, why the heck not?

3. Bela says:

I say, “Do what makes you feel good!”
    I think everyone here trusts your judgement enough that you are not going to “cross that line” and go crazy with this anti aging stuff…
    I think the line is surgery and botox… I do not support that stuff one bit.
    By the way, the shop, Sephora, is pronounced Sefora not Sepora. :)
    thanks for the post. :]

4. KO says:

Hey i just found your blog by chance when i was doing a bit of surfing for my sister who’s going through some kinds of Ed-ish phase.
    anyway i am totally in love with you blogs. an ex-model with plenty of substance.puts faith back into a few of them
    anyway im actually revising for my college exams.
    but im glad i spent while reading your blogs.
    (i use anti-ageing hand cream.i havnt even reached my 20s..its good stuff)

5. kris says:

nope, you are not being hypocritical. I am almost 54 and as you age, your skin loses moisture…it FEELS BETTER when you use moisturizer and your make-up goes on smoother. There is nothing wrong with wanting to look your best – the problem comes when you are OBSESSED with looking younger or looking like someone other than who you are. Wrinkles come with or without the moisturizer/anti-aging lotion, and there is nothing wrong with wrinkles. But, neither is there anything wrong with trying to look your best at any age. We all just need to remember that those pictures in the mags are AIRBRUSHED 😉 no cream or potion will give you wrinkle-free skin. sorry.

6. Jen says:

MamaV: My little nephew calls them “sprinkles.” He asked my mom why she had “sprinkles” on her face and said he wanted her to get more. Haha!

7. kristen says:

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with wanting to look your best for your age (which, by the way, you look AMAZING!). I agree with the other comments, if you were to go and get a face lift or botox, that would be a little hypocritical. But anti-aging creams/lotions- nothing wrong with that at all!

8. Rachel says:

I think you are not a hypocrite, so long as you do not go to extremes to prevent aging. Using a product on your skin- anti-aging or just a plain ole lotion, really, is that so much different than putting on make-up? Taking care of your body is a good thing- and our bodies needs change as we get older. Just don’t go for Botox or something, ok?

9. Anna says:

One could argue that weight loss also “makes you feel better” or “makes you more confident”. I do see this as hypocritical. Just keeping you real, Mama.
    I don’t think you’ve gone overboard. However, you don’t cut any slack for women who want to alter their bodies to appear even slightly thinner. So why cut yourself slack on wanting your body to appear slightly less wrinkly?
    I hope you don’t find that offensive. I’m just humbly offering my honest response to your honest question.

10. Anne says:

It’s true, “One could argue that weight loss also ‘makes you feel better’ or ‘makes you more confident’ ”
    However, I think it should be noted that this blog is not anti weight loss when the loss is done in a healthy way. I may be presuming here, but I have a feeling if you were overweight and decided to started eating a HEALTHY diet and getting active, MamaV would probably say good for you. It’s when you push your body to an unhealthy extreme of restricting/purging to achieve an unhealthy low weight that you need to worry. Also, a lot of it has to do with emotions and perspective. A lot of the young women who set out to lose weight don’t wind up feeling good about themselves, they spiral down ward in to self-hating perfectionism where no weight is ever good enough and therefore they are never good enough.
    Kind of different from using a little oil of Olay.
    And FYI, things like lotions/potions and high end cosmetics offer women the chance to instantly feel better about themselves. Every diet book or program starts off with “YOU SUCK, BUY THIS SO YOU WILL SUCK LESS” mantras. I LOVE Sephora. I find the products lovely and fun to test out. It’s a treat, like getting your nails done.

11. Hi everyone: Thanks for the comments.
    First, I am cracking up that I mispronounced Sephora…I have officially turned into my Mother! She always pronounces things wrong and has me rolling – like “Pantera” for the restaurant “Panera”…ahhh Mom, Pantera is a metal band! So know all my friends say- meet you at Pantera.
    Second, I am surprised at all the 20 somethings stating they are using anti aging creams…why? To prevent any wrinkles from coming out- they cant be showing already? Crap this reminds me of my psycho modeling agent in Paris telling me my career would be over at 26 because of wrinkles.
    Third, sprinkles. Love it. How lovely really. This reminds me again of my mom…I would not want one of her sprinkles removed, they are her, they are real, and they make me feel safe. If she ever had a stretched face it would kill me!
    Thanks for all great feedback, good and bad.
    Still I really don’t know where I stand on this….I guess if I am totally honest I wish I just didn’t give a damn. But I do
    mamaV
    XOXO

12. PTC says:

What kind of Burt’s Bees cream is it??