Tough Economy? Hire women and save!

I actually had a male boss say this about me behind my back. It took everything in me not to strangle the bastard. Needless to say, my tenure with him was short and certainly not sweet.

Check out how the pay gap is shrinking at a snails pace since the 1960s.

Ladies- we are only making .77 cents on the dollar compared to our male counterparts.

Why are we not up in arms about this?

Do you believe that this discrimination is not happening to you?

You can bet your ass it is.

So when you go to work or school tomorrow, I want you to glance at the dude sitting next to you and think about the fact that he makes more than you simply because he is a man.

This is why I FINALLY run my own business. No more letting others control my financial future. No more Corporate greed driving my income potential.

This is bullshit beyond belief.

Carry on,

-mamaV

—————–

WHAT YOU CAN DO:

Join the WAGE project

Contact The Speaker of The House Nancy Pelosi

Order your Equal Pay Day Kit

This entry was posted in Get Educated, Politics and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

45 Responses to Tough Economy? Hire women and save!

1. Jen says:

It does bother me greatly – however, I’m in a profession where pay is based on experience, not gender (I’m a teacher). If the admin hires a male with the same experience as me but with higher pay for no other reason but for being a guy, serious legal trouble can result.
    I do encourage speaking up about equal pay – but what about the women who are stuck in their jobs and can’t risk being fired over the confrontation and can’t afford a lawyer?
    I personally prefer the sneak attack…if you find discrimination, save up money for a lawyer and plan for a battle before you even set foot in the office of the boss. In fact, bring the lawyer along!
    I am going to pass the links on.

2. Michelle says:

Our government has been saying that they are trying to fix this for the past several years.
    I’m not endorsing (although, he is our president-elect now) but I think Obama has a plan up his sleeve to help fix the wage gap between women and men. Wouldn’t surprise me if he did, seeing how he is more for the minority than the majority.
    I have yet to be a victim of this because I have always worked either in a minimum wage job or my job now which pays everyone the same unless you have a different title or put in more hours. So, hopefully by the time my generation makes it into the workforce, we won’t have to be paid less than our male-counterparts who do the same exact job.
    I am also curious though as to what your link about the wage gap includes. Is this an all job, all female/male wages? Does it include amount of education in these findings? If so, I’m not too surprised because not as many women were able to go to college back when, therefore men were able to make more money due to their ability to perform more tasks and hang a piece of paper in their office saying they have their bachelor’s degree.
    Also, does it include every male and every female, even those who don’t work? Most women drop out of their careers after starting a family, which allows for more men in the workforce. Therefore, it is only understandable for the male’s pay to be higher on average due to the higher amount of men staying in their career field compared to women.
    I think each person should be paid according to their amount of education, amount of dedication to their company, and amount of competition (i.e. the employee who can work the fastest and more precise should receive more benefits than the latter).
    Just because we are women doesn’t make it right that we are paid more or less than men. If we don’t work as hard as them, we don’t deserve to be paid as much. If we work just as hard or harder than them, we deserve to be paid the same or more.

3. missa says:

I would recommend that anyone who is considering confronting their employer about unfair wages be careful and research their policies first. I have worked at many places that have policies in place where they can fire you for discussing wages with other employees. My former sister-in-law was fired from a job for doing just that. I know times are rough and many people can not afford to lose their jobs right now.

4. Michelle says:

MissA, I’ve heard that as well. You’re not even really allowed to talk about others’ wages.. some kind of confidentiality or something along those lines. My two friends worked at KFC and they weren’t even allowed to discuss how much they were paid with each other. I could only imagine what it is like in corporate America.

5. Melissa says:

I have heard this statistic and do wonder about it … if it’s true it’s terribly sad, but all I have to go on is my own experience. When I worked for the federal government, there was a pay scale. Perhaps I might have been given a higher grade/step promotion being a man, but it was pretty cut and dry.
    Where I work now, our CEO is a woman and co-owner of the company. Knowing her, her personality, her management style, and her personal advancements for women (she sits on many boards that deal with women’s issues and volunteers) I can’t imagine I am paid less here for being a woman.
    That said, I do know the bridge exists in some places and it’s totally wrong.
    I didn’t ask to be born female, and gender should bear no responsibility for our pay.

6. Melissa says:

Oops, meant “influence” not responsibility.

7. Mrs. B. says:

This is a highly misleading post. The truth is, there is SOME pay discrimination in America. There is also a HUGE gap in the number of hours that women work in the workplace. Women are, for better or worse, the primary caregivers of children in this country. Until we are willing to put in the same number of hours, do the same kind of travel and bag the needs of our kids when they are sick and/or young, we do not EARN the same money as our male counterparts. I can point you to tons of articles that prove this point. I am in HR, afterall.
    I believe that as a woman I was given FAR more choice than my husband has been given in my career. My bosses have always flexed my hours, let me work from home, take extra time off, etc. My husband has never had these options. Furthermore, I have a much richer relationship with my kids because I was always the luckier one of us who was the primary caretaker.
    There are plenty of women in this world who have shown that if you want to give up having a family you can have all the money that you want. Go for it. Just do us all a favor and don’t have kids. They deserve better.
    Personally, I wanted balance. My husband never had that option. We expected him to be the primary breadwinner.
    Be careful what you ask for.

8. Mrs. B. says:

Oh, yeah. And another point. Part of the reason that we have a shortage of doctors in this country is because we have so many women now practicing medicine. Women doctors do not put in nearly the same hours that male doctors do, yet they never increased the number of positions in medical school to allow for that fact.

9. Mrs B.: Thank you for enlightening us all with your tunnel vision.
    Your comments are highly personal to your situation and totally irrelevant to the discussion.
    THE POINT: EQUAL PAY FOR EQUAL WORK.
    That’s it. It’s not about percentages less or less hours worked. That discussion is just silly.
    And for the record, I have lived it. I was a C-Level Exec, and in high level Sales positions for the past 10 years (and a wonderful mom of two awesome children so cut your judgments thank you very much). I have always worked among the good ole boys, so don’t shove down your pompous perspective down our throats. You are totally kidding yourself if you think wage discrimination doesn’t exist.
    I am sure you will fire back now with some high-fluten stats and b.s….so bring it on.
    mV

10. Mrs. B. says:

No, Heather,
    I think I just made my point. People who are willing to look at both sides will be able to see that this issue HAS more than one side. I’m sorry that you have always worked with “Good old Boys”. Your opinion just MIGHT be a little skewed. There are plenty of facts to suggest that although there is certainly some discrimination, there are also other factors in play that are affecting women’s paychecks.

11. Mrs. B. says:

P.S. I work with engineers. Female engineers are hard to come by. We often pay MORE for a female engineer.

12. Mrs. B. says:

The Harvard Business Review. But what do they know? Oh, oops. I guess they think women need more flexibility, too.

13. Newt says:

What company do you work for Mrs. B? It would be nice to work for a company that pays MORE for a female engineer. I’m a female electrical engineer and was a senior designer and never once did I make more or comparable wages with my male co-workers (ok so the 20+ kid just out of school obviously made less but I am talking about people with the same experience, skill set, etc). At one company I worked for only 8 women were engineers vs 203 male and not one of us women were paid appropriately.
    I did not want to make this topic personal but the comment that women engineers are paid more just irked me. I have no children so no family obligations. I worked 90+ hours in R&D, never took vacation or sick days, worked Thanksgiving, Christmas, you name it so given your argument I should have been paid equally to any male. Not the case for any engineering company. Pay was one reasons I left engineering and became self employed.
    I do agree to a degree that if a woman is constantly having to leave early and doesn’t hold her weight she should be paid less but that also applies to men. Regardless of how it may be at your company women especially those in science, engineering, medicine, etc are paid less.

14. Mrs. B. says:

I’d like to give some advice on how to become a high income earner.
    1. Choose a high income career – probably one that is not in the “service” professions (other than law or medicine), as they are traditionally defined – although Master’s level nurses often earn 6 figures.
    2. Be as well prepared as you can be for your career. My career requires a Master’s degree and certification, and probably specialization at the top. That’s what I did. People looking at your resume will not see your charm. They are looking for credentials and a history of performance. Never stop learning. Always stay on top of your area of expertise. My bosses have always made my jobs work for me because the didn’t want to lose me. I made their lives easier and better. I made them look good.
    3. Do not antagonize and confront your boss with hostility. Don’t march into his office and demand to be paid what your coworkers are paid. Be valuable to him (or her). Have a relationship with your boss. Treat them as a mentor. I advise you to read a book “The 360 Degree Leader” to learn about how to work with people in a positive and productive way and get what you want out of your job.
    4. Be flexible to travel, work late, etc. when the job requires it.
    5. Look like a professional and behave like a professional. Treat people the way you want to be treated. Looking like a professional, by the way, does not mean to be skinny. You might even need to learn to be comfortable with the few extra pounds that breaking bread with your coworkers will require. It is not the person who stays at their desk all day who gets ahead. It’s the person who builds relationships and gets out.
    Know your business better than your peers. Know your customer. Know the market. Find opportunities.
    Girls, don’t make yourselves into victims. This world has corporate leaders and government leaders and civic leaders who are all women. But you need to work well with everyone – including MEN – because they make up over half of the workforce. Don’t be ridiculously touchy. Don’t be overly emotional. Men do not really know what to do with female emotion.
    You can do it. And it won’t take Nancy Pelosi to make it happen.

15. Mrs. B. says:

Our engineering company is a little unique as we are consultants. Our people who earn the most are the people who are the best business builders. They earn relative to what they bring in. And the people who bring in the most are not necessarily the people who spend the most hours at their desk (although they do work long hours and are highly flexible.) They build relationships. And women often understand how to do that well. Our most senior PM is a woman. She goes running with clients, has them over for dinner, takes people for lunch, etc.

16. “Demanding a raise from your boss” was said in jest, I didn’t mean this literally.
    I too am a high wage earner, made more than the boys at Exec level jobs simply because I was damn good.
    However just because I achieved it, doesn’t mean I say “to hell with the rest of you,” which Mrs. Bs learning lesson appears to be shouting above.
    I am no victim, never claimed to be one. Knowledge is power.
    mamaV

17. Mrs. B. says:

Right. OK girls. Call Nancy Pelosi. She’ll help you more than you can help yourself.
    Bash the men and wait on the help of the government… It will take you a long way.
    I’m sure that Heather is right.

18. Mrs. B. says:

“Or, if you are really in a mood, ask your male colleagues that you trust to confide in you their pay. I can tell you right now you will be irate at what you find. Then shove it in your bosses face and demand equal pay.”
    This will get you really far in life. EVERYONE will want to be on your team. Not.

19. Mrs. B. says:

Heather,
    How great that you were successful. See…..it CAN be done. I thought it was IMPOSSIBLE according to you…you worked for all those Good Ol Boys, remember? Being good isn’t enough, right?
    Wrong.
    All I’m saying is that you can’t say that since a man with a certain education is working alongside a woman with the same education that the work that they do is equal. Many factors go into the determination of equal. And for a time in my life, I chose my kids over the extra bucks…as many other women have done. Now that my kids are grown, I am charging up the career ladder. It has nothing to do with my gender.

20. Newt says:

My understanding of the topic is it is about equal pay for equal work regardless of sex and not how to become a high income earner. Many women with eds are very driven and over-achievers, earning high incomes (which I might add is a distasteful set of words, sounds almost elitist) isn’t the issue.
    Bringing awareness about the pay inequalities between sexes is just stating a well known fact. Yes there are exceptions, there always are but regardless if a woman has low, middle or high income when compared to her male co-worker performing at the same level chances are she makes less.

21. Mrs. B. says:

And when it happens, she always has the power of voting with her feet.
    There’s another common factor in women with EDs. Social isolation. Which is not the best prescription for career success.
    Economists have shown that isolating the true wage differential for women and men results in a whopping 10% differential.
    If you look at the wage differential between good looking people versus less good looking people, or tall people versus short people, you will see REALLY dramatic differences. Sad to say.

22. Mrs. B. says:

Good looking people earn more.
    Tall people earn more.
    Dang. More positive people earn more too.
    Call Nancy Pelosi right away.

23. Mrs. B. says:

While we are looking for more things to blame:

24. Mrs. B. says:

Here’s something REALLY unfair.
    Hugh Laurie makes more money PLAYING a doctor for one episode of House than most doctors make for a year of treating real-live patients.
    Maybe Nancy Pelosi can fix THAT, too.

25. Smudgeruk says:

Hmm. I’m lucky as in my job, i’m certainly paid the same as male colleagues. But it’s certainly true that there is a real pay gap in some professions in the UK, especially ‘city’ jobs. It does exist.

26. LaurenZane says:

Mrs. B, I understand the statement you’re trying to make, or at least I believe I do – finding a source to blame is a waste of one’s energy/one’s time is better spent being “proactive” by increasing work-related competency. I agree with this perspective -though not your apparent disapproval of Nancy Pelosi- still the fact of the matter is that for hours put in/talent/competency, women are still paid less than men in many professions. Should we as women sit back and try to effect change solely voicing outage? No, but that doesn’t mean the issue should not be addressed.

27. Mrs. B. says:

Lauren, the truth is, the difference is not nearly as great as you might think that it is. All other factors considered, the true differential is about 10%.
    I have worked in HR for organizations large and small, with hospitals, retailers, construction firms and consulting businesses. I have worked out many opportunities for flex schedules for women over the years as they deal with the changing needs of their families. The employers I have worked with have been very positive about opportunities to retain their good female talent. I am not saying that there are not individual instances of discrimination, but they are relatively few and declining. Women are better educated in America than are men and the work market has had to adapt to it. There is also no doubt that there is nobody on this board who is better able to speak to this issue than I am…a 50 year old woman who has worked in HR for nearly 30 years, who is Master’s educated and an SPHR. And my advice, if you are a professional woman, is to not behave like a toddler if you have an issue with your job. Make your case, document it, talk to your manager with respect, and if you don’t get what you believe you deserve, find something better. Act like a professional. If you can’t do that, you need to consider whether the reason you are not advancing might be something other than your gender.
    I believe that MamaV’s original post was poorly thought out and gave very bad advice.

28. Mrs. B. says:

Oh, and the truth is, I think that Nancy Pelosi is an idiot. I can’t believe that the first woman to hold such a prestigious position is so vapid.

29. LaurenZane says:

This is technically off-topic as it doesn’t directly relate to the original post, and I apologize in advance for the diversion, but here goes anyway…
    Mrs. B is everything okay? I’m used to the Mrs. B from the days of when Josie posted/when you were in the depths of recovery with your daughter. It’s not a criticism; i have noticed that your posts seem… frustrated or angry? Maybe embittered? Again, not a criticism. I support that everyone has the right to feel any emotion at any time. I’m just curious, is it mainly the political climate that’s upsetting to you? Or something else?

30. Mrs. B. says:

Actually, things are great. Thanks for asking Lauren. Jessica is doing great. She has worked so hard. She is starting back at school on Monday. She is off of laxatives, she goes every week to therapy, she is re-engaging in friendships, she is managing her money, and she just got back from a mission/service trip to the lower ninth ward….so many good things. She has not binged or purged for several months. Considering how sick she was, it is nothing short of a miracle. She struggles, but she fights back.
    Things are going great for me. Work is good, family’s good. Everything is fine. I just get really annoyed with unproductive militant feminism instead of positive constructive professional action. I thought that Heather’s post was not constructive. In fact, I thought it could do serious damage to careers of young professional women. And then I thought her rude comment to me was really out of line. Heather has neither the experience or training on this topic to provide advice…as evidenced by the advice. She also provided grossly inaccurate data which is routinely used by feminists to be intentionally inflammatory. Anyone who has delved into this topic from more than the most surface investigation knows that there are justifiable reasons why women’s lives as caregivers are placing many of them in a position where they are not going to earn what their unencumbered male counterparts will earn.
    I’ve seen a lot of people’s careers go right off the deep end for acting like infants on the job. Keep your heads ladies. Behave like professionals, but learn how to ask for what you need, and for what is FAIR. Professionally. And you’ll be fine. Go back and read Heather’s original comment and her response to me and you’ll see why I got so irritated.
    Heather has also made ridiculous comments to me in the past about how I was somehow the cause of my daughter’s eating disorder. There should have been an apology about that as well. She has no idea. None. I’d love to have her talk to Jes. I fought WITH Jes. Not against her. My daughter is very grateful for both of her parents – for staying steady and staying the course…even when she was really behaving as though she was insane. We never stopped believing in her.
    I don’t stay on this board for Heather. I stay here for girls who count on me. And I’ll stay here for that reason, despite the fact that Heather sometimes resents the fact that there is someone here who has more perspective on certain issues than she does. Economics, Human Resources and Religion are subjects that Heather just needs to avoid until she does her research. At the very least, she should keep an open mind when she is proven to be ill-informed.
    When I don’t know what I’m talking about, I listen and learn. If there is anything people who know me would say, I’m a very serious student. I am often out of the mainstream of thought. The mainstream of thought is often grossly inaccurate.
    Nuff said.
    Again, Lauren, thanks for asking. I think Heather owes me an apology and should rewrite her post so that she is helpful, rather than harmful. There are things that women need to learn about how to work in the system that is the American corporation. Things that work. Talking salaries with coworkers and being uncivil with supervisors gets people fired, and gets them the kind of references that keep them unemployed. And in this economy,
    that is NOT a help.

31. LaurenZ says:

I relate. I stay on here for what comes from the original posts, not the posts themselves. I also respect the comments you made- focusing one’s energies on the work one does, being constructive in negotiation if one does feel that one deserves a higher wage, etc. Thank you for your response. I’m glad to hear that Jess continues to engage the fight. I was reflecting on some of your earlier comments from posts back about feeling frustrated in regard to the way mass media portrayed issues/candidates within the campaign. I don’t wish to re-hash those specific issues, however, I personally feel frustrated by such a re-occurring theme as with this post to- I only know of my struggles with gender equality and those of people i my life. I have not had first-hand experience with gender dsicrimination in the work place (reflected in wages), so I can only become informed through other sources. As I have not actively gathered research, the ideas I have about unequal wages are an amalgam of headlines and brief news articles. I am reading Manufacturing Consent right now, and it just makes me think a lot about the pursuit of accuracy/ acquiring nuanced information and how difficult that quest frequently is. I’m not making a statement about unequal wages as related to gender, as I don’t have an informed opinion. I would just like to say that the struggle to obtain an informed opinion is an interesting issue, and I see it reflected all around me, including these posts.

32. Mrs. B. says:

Lauren,
    You sound like a smart girl. It can be a difficult task to separate the wheat from the chaff in formulating opinions with so much conflicting information. I am a person who loves the quest and I seek it. I am finding so many people these days unwilling to do the hard analysis. One of the most dangerous current dialogs,in my mind, has been the ferver with which the mainstream press has dived so completely and potentially so incorrectly, into the issue of climate change. And the fact that the enormously expensive and potentially job crushing plans that the climate change advocates have are coming from some of the planets worst hypocrites, who are not only NOT scientists, but who are mega-rich elitists, who themselves have multiple homes and climate-unfriendly lifestyles. People like Senator Pelosi and Vice President Al Gore. I don’t know how many Nobel Laureate international scientists are going to have to proclaim skepticism about Global Warming before anyone starts to begin to question these frauds.
    It’s an outrage, and fortunately, the Europeans are beginning to jump ship…because the whole carbon footprint tax scheme is destroying their jobs.
    There are so many issues like this where people just don’t do the necessary research. Embryonic versus adult stem cells; spending your way out of a recession….the list goes on. I just have to ask this question. If your family is struggling with your budget, do you think that going out and buying more stuff on credit will resolve your budget problem?
    There is almost always a third side to every issue. And people are too lazy to look for it. They are content to form their opinion from NBC news. Frustrating.
    Thanks for listening.

33. Mrs. B. says:

Oh, and while people are calling our lovely Speaker Pelosi, would you mind asking her if her multi-millionaire investor husband was happy that she approved the bailout for one of her husband’s big investments….AIG. That woman is an embarassment. Not even mentioning the new mega-jet she bought so she could fly to and from her home state non-stop from CA. How much fuel does that baby consume? She’s way too good to take public transportation. What a role model.

34. ziska says:

While I know it is one of those facts of life that pretty people make more money, why rub it in at a place full of people with low self esteem (as I’m sure most of the readers here are) I needed a reason to worry about my weight, my acne, my jawline, my hair, my glasses… Go ahead, give me more reasons to hate being ugly.
    I know I’m being a little too emotional and this isn’t relevant to the original post but I’m just at this breaking point since I can’t escape all the weight loss and beauty products, especially with New Year time.

35. Mrs. B. says:

ziska,
    Sorry. I actually thought about that after I wrote my post. My point was, really, that you can “prove” any theory on this topic. What makes people successful is getting out there. Getting out there and learning. Getting out there are doing. Caring about people and acting with integrity. I’m going to use as an example the guy who is the current Governor of my state, Mitch Daniels. Mitch Daniels is a short, bald, kind of elfish looking man. Yet he is brilliant. He understands finance. AND, most importantly…He cares about people and he listens to them. Many people consider him the best governor in the nation. Indiana is one of five states with a balanced budget, even though we live in the manufacturing rust belt. He gets out there.
    By all rights, he should not “make it”. But he’s enormously successful. He was first in his class from one of the biggest high schools in our state. He went to Princeton. He went to law school. He worked his way up to become President of Eli Lilly, made a fortune doing a great job there. Lilly has one of the most family friendly environments of any pharma company because of Mitch. He cared about the lives of his people. After making his fortune, he took a massive pay cut to work in service to our state.
    This little bald man should never have made it, right?
    Wrong.
    Whether or not you are successful has nothing to do with height, weight, gender, hair color, or anthing. It probably does have something to do with positive image and self-esteem. So if you are going to work on anything, let that be it.
    That’s the place where the payoff exists.
    Take care.
    You’re fine just as God made you.

36. anon says:

Wow. It seems as though this post has generated a lively and heated debate, rightfully so.
    Mrs. B.,
    I’ve read many of your comments and respect your opinion, and I also have a great respect for you commitment to your daughter’s health. You seem like a very loving, supportive, and compassionate person.
    I do take issue, however, with the essence of your argument here. Although I understand (to an extent) the point you’re trying to make, I think your statement, “While we are looking for more things to blame,” is very troubling and, in my opinion, lies at the center of an extremely privileged and exclusive point of view. It seems too that the above quoted phrase is telling of how you approach this debate. First of all, who is “we”? I am not clear for whom you are speaking. Secondly, since you appear to speak for a collective, why would such a “we” need to place blame? Why do you assume that blame is being placed? I apologize if the answers to these questions are evident in your post, but I just don’t understand.
    Your experience as a woman, a member of the workforce, a mother, a wife, etc…seems, from your own account, to be one not experienced by women as a majority, particularly minority women from lower SEC backgrounds (should I say that, or am I finding another thing to blame?). You mention and provide links to stats about getting jobs based on appearance, height, and attitude. Fine. Good to know. But what about discriminatory practices when it comes to public school funding (i.e. providing everyone with equal educational opportunities, to name one factor). That’s not even considering issues of gender, which, by the way, exist whether you choose to acknowledge it (based on your experiences) or not. And, in my opinion, that’s not placing blame, just recognizing reality as, historically, many women have known it, and continue to know it (even women who are tall and good looking). Height and attractiveness are not even half of it. Appreciate the stats, but so very inconsequential when addressing the depth of issues affecting women in the workforce and beyond.

37. anon says:

I picked up on the closing sentences of your final sentences after I submitted my post: “Whether or not you are successful has nothing to do with height, weight, gender, hair color, or anthing.” With all due respect, how can you say this for sure? What gives you the authority to make this claim and present it as fact? funny how you mention hair color but not skin color.

38. anon says:

“The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeing new landscapes, but in having new eyes, in seeing the universe with the eyes of another, of hundreds of others, in seeing the hundreds of universes that each of them sees.”
    ~ Marcel Proust

39. Mrs. B. says:

Anon,
    Your point about people of lower SEC backgrounds is true, but not really related to this post. MEN of lower SEC backgrounds face the exact same hurdles…barriers to education, etc.

40. anon says:

Thanks, Mrs. B., for clarifying. You so succinctly addressed it all. From your statement, it’s apparent that you know exactly, the “exact…hurdles” (regardless of gender) people of lower SEC backgrounds face. Wow. How incredibly presumptuous.

41. anon says:

Btw,
    Does misogyny, patriarchy, and more importantly, feminism (in its various phases) factor in at all in your analysis? Just curious, b/c it’s shocking to read a post w/ such disregard to gender, particularly on a blog that so obviously targets women. Further, even more offensive is your essentialist commentary on a specific group (e.g., “lower SEC”). Good luck in defending your argument that men and women fair equally in any socioeconomic status. How easy it is to collapse issues when they do not directly affect you.

42. anon says:

Mrs. B.,
    In the future, I will try my hardest to make my posts relevant. What must I have been thinking when I brought up issues such as socio-economics? How irrelevant a topic as we currently face such a devastating recession. And how unrelated this is to the daily lives of ed sufferers and to the majority of people residing globally. But, thanks for pointing out the irrelevance of my statement :)

43. mamaV says:

Hi Anon: Nice to see you fired up on this topic! Mrs. B has been mysteriously silent after a few posts put her completely over the edge, this being one of them.
    I love the controversy, this blog is about debate and expressing points of view. But if you dish it out you gotta be able to take it.
    -mV

44. anon says:

Thanks, MamaV, for allowing me to express my pov. I do apologize if Mrs. B went “over the edge” so to speak, in part b/c of my post(s). While I did not intend them as personal attacks (and still don’t see them as such), it was necessary for me to address what I view as a glaring disregard to my concerns in her response to me. With that said, I have no problem taking it, as I’m obviously still posting.