Skinny Bitch

Is this irritating…or is it me?

Skinny Bitch series of books, NYTimes bestsellers?

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

7 Responses to Skinny Bitch

1. Jen says:

If you thought that was irritating you should see the “Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven” book. All about nutrition during pregnancy. Nice, huh?

2. Jess says:

I agree the titles are stupid, but have you actually read the books? The recipes are actually extremely nutritious and wholesome, and they don’t give calorie and fat counts, points values, etc. The content sends a much better message than many mainstream “diet” cookbooks.

3. Tanya says:

It’s not you. It is irritating.

4. sannanina says:

I haven’t read the book (although I find the title extremely irritating – and not just the “skinny bitch part”). I have, however, read several reviews. From what I gather, the authors promote eating vegan food as the ultimate way to become “thin” and look “fabulous”. I am a vegetarian myself, but I still know that biologically humans are omnivores. I believe that it is possible to replace meat and possibly also other animal products but it is not necessarily healthier than eating moderate amounts of high quality meat. And considering that I am fat myself, and that I know vegan fat people I am pretty sure that eating a vegan diet won’t make everyone thin. Promoting the myth that it will and that fat people are fat because they eat “crap” is very problematic, so is the message than thin is healthy.

5. Staci says:

New to your blog… and I just LOVE what you do MamaV! Irritating, yes and it’s not just you.
    I was/am apolled at the mere sight of this book. I’m in the early stages of recovery and just found out that my husband & I are pregnant. We went to the local bookstore for a few books on pregnancy. Which book do you think was right there, front & center???… Skinny Bitch: Bun in the Oven. There are just no words to describe what went through my head in that moment.

6. Sarah says:

I saw this book advertised on Peta, so I read an except and just got pissed off. Now I’m a vegan myself for ethical reasons (and still have ED- go figure.) but this book just pissed me off! Veganism is great, but not for the reasons this book says. And the way its written.. the author SUCH a eating disorder promoting jackass!!

7. Rachel says:

These girls have always irritated me. I find the titles offensive, and from the reviews that I’ve read, their demeaning attitude in the book series is also quite offensive.
    Can we get OFF the “Thin = Healthy” horse for once and promote HEALTH AT EVERY SIZE?! I’ve been able to dodge ED, and I am very, very fortunate, but the tendencies are still there that I must occasionally fight with and quash. Having “You’re fat, therefore unhealthy” thrown in my face is NOT appreciated. I try pretty damn hard to eat a balanced diet nowadays, and just avoid things like this (as well as the general media) because I found it was hard to pay attention to it and have a high self-esteem.