Wannabe dead?

Try out for MTV’s new reality show Model Maker and you’ll be dead in no time! But hey- you’ll be famous.

They pulled out all the stops and got this Mo-Fo to produce the program which calls for losing up to 80 pounds in 3 months.

America is off it’s rocker.

So how does reading this impact you? Do you realize how totally out of reality this crap is or does this somehow, somewhere make you feel like you are not good enough?

I’m in a mood, so let’s have some fun with this for a change, rather than wallowing in this BS.

Here’s the email address to the web site where they are casting for models: mtvmodel@madwood.com.

CORRECTION: I was told the above is invalid, try this one mtv@madwood.tv

Just for shits and giggles pelt them with messages expressing your personal point of view. Or even better, tell them you are 6 foot 2, and weigh 100 pounds….tell them you are willing to die to be on their pathetic, arrogant show.

Ahhh, it’s damn good to be back!!

This entry was posted in Eating Disorders, Fake Beauty, Fashion Freaks and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

41 Responses to Wannabe dead?

1. Arrie says:

You know, reading this made me think for a second.

I am one of the ones that reads this and thinks, “shit, im not good thin enough.”
    But then theres the other side, who says, “you idiot, your in the hospital, which is where the girls from the show will eventually end up.”

So the logic side does at least see the craziness of this show.

2. kim says:

today, yes. not the answer you wanted or i want to give, but true non the less.

3. Aisling says:

em ok i just read it and it was like an ad you’d see on a pro ana site really kinda creepy

4. Kris says:

I will be writing mtv. holy cow – what kind of sick minds came up with THIS premise for a lame show? REALITY show? hmm… no thanks – we have already lived that reality and it is not pretty.

5. Kris says:

mtvmodel@madwood.com is an invalid email address – just FYI :) too bad, cuz I had a REALLY great email! lol

6. Michelle says:

This makes me not want to watch TV ever again.
    Things like this still make me sick to say I am an American.

7. Katie says:

Yeah, I read about stuff like that and feel like I’m not thin enough or (ironically) short enough.

That does sound like fun to send e-mails to them. I might do so.

8. Mrs. B. says:

Great post, MamaV.

I’m gonna torch MTV.

You are in RARE form!!

Mrs. B.

9. smudgeruk says:

From MTV ModelMakers website:

“Women come in all shapes and sizes, but models don’t.
    The term model conjures an image of stick-thin, towering beauties oozing confidence, glamour, poise and sexuality from every pore. ”

Loving the juxtaposition of “stick thin” and “beauty” there. I notice that “healthy” isn’t mentioned, mind you…

“Under the watchful “eye” of these experts, models will endure twelve weeks of intensive physical fitness training to help them get down to their ideal size.”

Umm, whose ideal size???

“With weekly eliminations looming, models must put their best foot forward at all times while staying focused on losing weight.”

And that, that is just great. Goal weights? Targets? I-must-lose-10lbs-by-this-weekend syndrome? Sound familiar to anyone else?!

Gosh, I wonder if the watchful eye will include PurgeCam, inside the models’ bathroom, or maybe a hidden camera in the fridge to see which FAT BITCH breaks and has an extra teaspoon of yoghurt…

It sickens me, and it makes me feel ridiculous for being who I am and acting how I do

10. Mrs. B. says:

Damn Straight!

11. Lisa says:

Jesus Christ. I lost a paltry 45 pounds in three months. I’d be a terrible model, but I was a great anorexic!

12. smudgeruk says:

OK, so say this programme actually airs, and they go through with it and some girls get knocked out and one eventually wins…

What happens if one of the contestants goes on to “develop” anorexia? Obsessive over-exercising? Bulimia? (I know there are varying theories as to why people become anorexic in the first place, I’m just throwing this out there)

What if she sues the programme makers? Whose fault is it?
    Hers, for going on the show? Theirs?

I’m just really curious as to the legal ramifications of this, I bet it’s all been considered and I bet there’s some sort of clause written in the contract somewhere removing responsibility from the programme makers.

13. Jasmine says:

oh my god, this show is sick–

just to think a few years ago wen i first developeed anorexia i would of probaly wanted to go on a show like this and lose more wieght just to be “stick thin”- i mean the fought goes thro me all the time to want to be even thinner- but i dont go on pro ana or anything like that anymore just 2 encoyrage my ED- my ED has taken over and does not need anymore triggering… i bet who ever wins this show must already have a ED in the start…. or will end up with one soon after- this show should no be aired imigaige the teens watching this, thinking that they want to be that thin and look like that, esp if they already hav self esteem problems etc- oh im disgustied by this- great post mama V- glad that ur back hun.

i think i wil write a good long email to them stating what i think……

hope everyones well..

Jasmine x

14. S says:

Ridiculous. Whoever came up with this show is about to ruin people’s lives. I actually saw this ad on craiglist a few weeks ago when I was looking for a real job and i was pissed. It is tough to be a fulltime anorexic and you dont get paid for it.

I feel bad for the girls/women who answer this and actually get picked. the bad thing is this sort of shit is a real money maker and I am sure the creator, director , and producers dont care about the emotional effect this might have on the participants. They only care about the ton of money they are going to make. And I am quite sure the participants dont get paid for it. Makes me sick

15. mamavision says:

CORRECTION: I was told the above is invalid, try this one mtv@madwood.tv

Hammer em’

I am sending them a link to this post right now.

16. Mrs. B. says:

I sent my contribution.

Made me feel great.

Mrs. B.

17. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

to the older crowd i see why your upset, as someone with an eating disorder this pisses me off, and yet i the show sounds intresting. i see why people would use it as thinspo and weightloss inspration

18. Nichole says:

MamaV I’m so glad your back fighting the good fight, and helping people who need it!!! I have no eating problems, but I love your site, and seeing all the good you do. Keep up all the amazingness that makes you you!!

19. Nats says:

Think I am going to apply to go on the show. See im thinking that if someone gets on, we could shake them up a bit on the air rather than just emails!!

Im gonna do it now!!

20. Nats says:

Obviously I will somehow have to become american but ill cross that bridge when I get to it!

21. Nats says:

Ah Julia hun, I am already there babe but I will make sure that I will get heard without harming myself, I can be quite loud ya know xx

22. Nats says:

LOL ok babe no problem, thank you for looking out for me, but I prefer to be more hands on with my venting rather than just emailing is all.

Ill let ya know how I get on xx

23. Mrs. B. says:

Lord Nats,
    You always kind of get what you want, too. I have a feeling I’m going to be seeing you on the show.

24. youareremarkable says:

this is absolutely terrible!!
    i cannot believe a network would allow such a thing to air.
    the words they use make me sick to my stomach.
    “Women come in all shapes and sizes, but models don’t.”
    there ARE plus size models.
    just because they aren’t a size zero they’re not real models?

this is disgusting.
    this is poison.
    or maybe mtv has a slew of spin-offs up their sleeves such as an ED Intervention type show
    or perhaps even MORE True Life.

i just can’t believe this.

25. Mrs. B. says:

Mama V is the bomb.

26. mamavision says:

I just spent the last hour, literally, attempting to find the contact information for MTV CEO, Judy McGrath….so I need your help tracking it down.

If we can bend the ear of McGrath, we will really being doing something. She has been in charge for over 20 years, she’s a woman, so she has to have some compassion for this topic. She runs all the programs, so who even knows if she understands what this ModelMaker program intends to do.

If you guys can find her number and email, I’ll get to her. It’s my forte. :)

27. mamavision says:

Here’s what I sent to the producers of ModelMakers:

Hi MTV ModelMakers producers:

I thought you may be interested in the dialogue on my blog regarding your program http://mamavision.com/2008/08/26/wannabe-dead/#comments

Yes, I rip you to shreds, and I am sending my community your way in an effort to get your attention. Perhaps we can have a reasonable conversation regarding your intentions for this program?

Young girls form their body image from programs of this type. This is not only sad, at this point it’s dangerous. You know this.

Girls are dieing, I talk to them daily. Is there not a way to make the money you seek by creating a program with a semi-positive influence? Do we have to stoop to this level encouraging drastic weight loss?

As a former Paris model myself, I lived this, and it took me one hell of a long time to crawl out of the eating disordered world. I am trying to do some good here, so I have to do my best to curb some of this influence, so that is why I am reaching out to you.

The reality is, you are likely seeing an endless stream of young girls and their mothers coming out in droves to be on your show. That fact is not your fault. But making money off this desire to be famous, beautiful and deadly thin is your responsibility and decision.

Let’s be reasonable here and please think through the long term implications of your programming.

28. Mrs. B. says:

Love you, MV.

Great letter.

29. This is one reason a love you MamaV, you have warrior spirit :-)

30. Sarah says:

this made me want to kill somebody
    I am sure I could have written a better letter but this just made me mad this is what I sent them…

I saw your add online and have a few questions?

“intensive physical fitness training to help them get down to their ideal size”

You can give me tips and tricks on how to get super skinny?

“Chubby,” “well-fed,” and “big- boned” are not…

You can convince me that eating and being fat are bad?

“The term model conjures an image of stick-thin, towering beauties oozing confidence, glamour, poise and sexuality from every pore.”

You can convince me that being thin will give me everything in life and that it will make me happy?

How do I sign up?

On second thought there are plenty of pro-anorexia and pro-bulimia websites that can tell me the same thing!

31. Tanya says:

That show is just flat-out disgusting. Surely a woman aged between 17 and 24 and somewhere near 6ft tall would ALREADY be slim by anyone’s standards at 130 pounds. And hell, if someone is that height and their body isn’t naturally mega-skinny, losing a huge amount of weight to make it so is NOT a good idea.

I’m a photographer and I’ve shot models of all shapes and sizes. The tiny little thin girls are that size (I’m talking small all over, not just in terms of weight) not because they’ve starved themselves but because they are naturally very petite. It’s so not a good idea to do the whole dramatic weightloss thing if your body doesn’t sit naturally at a low weight.

I know I’m preaching to the converted here, but stuff like this makes me so angry. I’ve had eating disorders for most of my life and now, at 27 years old, I’m still suffering the effects. I wish so much that I could stop people from having to go through this. It makes me sick to think that the mass media is happily targeting vulnerable people with low self-esteem and actively pushing them into it.

32. amber*baby says:

The only email I could find for Judy McGrath is Judith.mcgrath@mtv.com via http://www.alcoholpolicymd.com/press_room/Media_kits/mk_brain_top_ten.htm so I don’t know how accurate it is but it is worth a shot. The only phone number that showed up was a general number of 212-258-8000 for all of MTV. Sorry if this is useless info I tried my best.

33. Jasmine says:

wow mama V

Great letter, hope u have got throught to them a bit.

Shows like this shouldent be allowed on TV

Take Care
    Jasmine x

34. aileb says:

I just sent them my email–

I would like to be considered for the show! My double 00’s are falling off like they use and the camera adds 10 pounds. Therefore, I am really going to need your help trimming all this extra weight off.

Ana and the red bracelet can only take so far you know?
    But with your help and the public humiliation who knows maybe I’ll finally get below my IP weight. I’m sure you can just photoshop my feeding tube right out?

All my pro-ana friends and I are just so excited that finally someone gets it-

It’s pathetic that it’s not enough to report and glamorize the “thin” mentality. Now, they have to seek out and create it.

35. Erin Young says:

A letter;

To the producers, MTV and all those involved in the reality TV show ‘Model Makers,’

You cannot be serious? Another show to entrench the idea of skinny+beautiful=success and happiness in our young people. Don’t you think it is difficult enough to cope, on average we see 300 images a day, 9/10 of these relates to beauty. Body image issues plague the globe, with girls as young as 8 being admitted to hospital for anorexia nervosa, a group of grade six girls here in Melbourne admitted to starting an ‘after lunch vomit club’ in a bid to slim down for their formal and a girl aged 10 started a ‘raw fish diet’!

As girls we constantly worry about the way we appear, how fat or skinny we are…the media contributes heavily to this constant worrying and you believe that it is appropriate to capitalise on this? Are you insane? Majority of your viewers are young people, the most influential bunch on the planet…and you have decided to create a show to encourage the idea that thin is beautiful.

Why don’t you do a follow up show…five years from now, when your rolling in your millions, the effect your show will have on it’s participants…the eating disorders, the body image issues and finally the low self esteem that haunts their every thought.

Thanks MTV, for making me feel great about myself and giving me the opportunity to learn how to shed 80 pounds in 12 weeks….something I’ve always wanted to know in my quest for thinness.

Erin Young.
    Editor of REAL Magazine.

36. Mrs. B. says:

I am so proud of all of you.

Mrs. B.

37. Smudgeruk says:

I’ve just read that in the UK a Liberal Democrat MP has tabled a motion condemning the show, and calling on MTV not to bring the show to Britain in its present form – that is, not without a change of emphasis onto a truly healthy lifestyle.

38. Smudgeruk says:

You can read more at http://www.politics.co.uk
    , and then under the Health section.

39. sarah says:

“sexuality from every pore”

Most men would disagree.

40. Anonymous says:

To Whom It May Concern,

I would like to express my utmost respect for the show that you are producing. I would certainly love to die for the sake of television, and I most certainly would be so proud if my parents were to sit down enjoying a most wonderful roast dinner, and be able to watch me slowing killing myself on your show. If only you were to accept me, of course. Unfortunatly, I am only 5′ 2″ and weigh 127 lbs, meaning my BMI is much to high at a healthy 22.9. However, I am sure that it would be no trouble to lose a few stone, for your benefit of course.

Thank you, in anticipation of a wonderful reply,

Jane-Marie *****