Inspired Realists

Sisters Erin and Jean, publishers of REAL magazine call themselves “Inspired Realists.”

That sure has a nice ring to it.

Download REAL magazine here!

The first issue of REAL magazine is wrapped in a fantastic design featuring an funky, elegant, witch, beauty queen. Inside, the creativity explodes with unique articles such as “Harajuku Girls” (brought to fame by Gwen Stefani), and “Happy or Hungry?” a must read for all mamaV fans.

They even resurrect the tired old phrase “Beauty is skin deep,” with their insightful piece that challenges the reader to understand their own beauty perceptions with a self poll that is sure to make you stop. Think. And rethink.

The only slight disappointment I had in REAL magazine is the editors were sucked into the same photo-shopped pro ana pictures I have fallen for in the past, with their showcase article “Hot, Blonde, Famous and Rich.”

I’m not sure how these two Aussie’ s, just 18 and 20, managed to gather so much wisdom so quickly, but they amaze me. I’m not the only one they have impressed.  The funds for this debut issue was provided by Rushworth Community House. Visit their myspace page to donate to the next issue.

Hmmm…they even managed to coax me out of my funk

Download REAL magazine here!

This entry was posted in Body Image, Fake Beauty and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Inspired Realists

1. kelly says:

2. Sass1948 says:

lol this isn’t perez hilton’s blog hm hm hm

3. Vanessa says:

i thought your funk was really due to your missing me! but this looks cute, i’ll check it out.

4. x says:

are you retarded

5. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

hm…pro ana picture? well what ever sells i ‘spose

6. mamavision says:

Hi Vanessa: I missed you. I’m serious, welcome back.

7. mamavision says:

Did you ever wonder why people just make mean, or lame comments on a blog? I just don’t get it, total waste of space.

At least Vanessa or Josie articulate their viewpoint, and take the time to think out an issue.

Are you retarded. What a genius.

I am rethinking my policy that I don’t delete any comments. I always felt it was important because it made the blog more “real,” you know take the good with the bad. Thoughts?

But lately, I gotta say, its just getting irritating. A bunch of clutter. Between here and you tube there is one heck of a lot of just plain mean individuals out there.

Kind of sad.

Anyway, thank to all of you that actually take these issues seriously and/or have fun here. That’s what its supposed to be about.

8. Sass1948 says:

delete away mamav 😀

9. Vanessa says:

i think it’s smart of you to delete comments that are clearly just spamming you. there’s a huge difference between cleaning things up and quashing debate. obviously i think debate should be allowed, but spam/meaningless comments? ditch em.

and i haven’t exactly been away, just didn’t feel i had anything to add lately. and with the unfortunate demise of your book deal i don’t actually have any deep argument with your site or what you’re doing here, which has led me to an existential crisis- why am i here?

(don’t cheer too loudly, people)

10. mamavision says:

See Vanessa, that’s exactly why I like you. You take the time to think. Really think, about what you stand for and why, and you recognize the right to change that view.

That quality is rare in today’s society and it will take you a long way in life. Don’t change.

I am confident I will soon be posting some stuff that will tick you off royally, so I have a feeling you and I will be adversaries for a while!

Take care!

11. Caitlin says:

Very glad you are back, and feeling better.

12. aileb says:

“Would you rather be hungry or happy
    or ?” or “Think about it.”

That’s it!

Those are the inspirational words that are suppose to make me want to turn away from this.

I wish it were that simple.

I am SO diappointed :( that they just asssumed that people with disordered eating are doing this because they want to look like Nichole Richie!!!!

How dense could this journalist be?

Anorexia is not always about losing weight or copying a celebrity!!! It is about so much more than that.

I am going to “Think about it” like they said because this all I think about.

It has nothing, nothing! to do with chosing between happines or hunger.

The truth is, the hunger high brings about so much happiness that this isn’t a valid question for an anorexic.

13. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

alieb- i think some anorexia is caused by so many diffrent issues, people may use the nichole richie facore, abuse, wanting controll, or just being born with it. really…i think all these cause anorexia, including th media. we can’t say theres one anser and i aregg its stupid to say we all want to look like someone elese because everyone would like to switch bodies every once in a while. anorexia should be treated diffrently i think because so many people think one thing causes it.

14. ladyjaye says:

Not a bad effort for a online zine, even though they need a good copy editor to strengthen the weak sentences and fix the grammar errors (many “your” when “you’re” is the right spelling). However, it does have a lot of potential. :)