Who is the Council of Fashion Designers of America?

cfda.jpg

They call themselves the CFDA, the Council of Fashion Designers of America. Let’s make them more REAL.

Here is the board of directors, count the designers you purchase clothes from:

boardcfda.jpg

Many designers have now gone mainstream, take Vera Wang for example now selling at Kohl’s. Why does this matter? Because these leaders are no longer selling haute couture, they are going for the big bucks and distributing to us regular people.

This means their trends lead the way. If they are cutting skirts at size 0, this our OUR baseline. This is the number that resonates in our head when we look at that tag and try to squeeze into the ideal they have set for us (average waist size of an 8 year old girl by the way).

yanyb1.jpg

Membership is exclusive. To be a part of this elite club, one must be voted in.

cfdamembership.jpg

The list of 300 designers can be viewed in full here, including familiar names such as Tommy Hilfiger, Betsy Johnson, Marc Jacobs, Donna Karan, Perry Ellis.

In order to bend the ear of the big wigs, we need to impact the daily lives of the staff, those that really run the show. They are:

staff.jpg

Danielle and Karen are in charge of PR, that stands for “Public Relations.” It’s interesting that their voicemail box is full yet I have not received a call back, have you?

yany.jpg

Got a problem with the size zero trend? NOW is the time to express your view to these fashion influencers since February 1st marks the start of New York Fashion Week.

Call them, email them, tell them your opinion and viewpoint.

Phone #: 212-302-1821

Key word here being YOUR opinion and viewpoint, not mine.

In a previous post on this topic, you asked “if we call, what should we say?”

Say your thoughts, ask them what they are doing about the model’s health initiative? What progress has been made in the year since its launch? I am just planting the seeds, you need to make them grow in whatever direction you please.

Go get em’ ladies.

-mamaV

three.jpg

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

33 Responses to Who is the Council of Fashion Designers of America?

1. Mrs. B. says:

Good News!

My daughter asked me to throw away her size 00 skinny jeans before she came home. She said that they will just depress her. Woo Hoo! She decided that she would prefer to be FAT (haha) than lose her hair and go crazy.

No, I am SURE that the fashion industry has NOTHING to do with her problem.

I asked her if I could throw away her fashion mags along with the jeans. She said that would be going too far. A month ago she told me I couldn’t throw away the jeans, either. Maybe the magazines will still bite the dust. I can only hope.

Her counselors are working miracles. Day by day. Step by Step.

2. Kelli says:

I recently heard Carson Kressley say to a woman on his new show, “How to Look Good Naked” (which teaches women how to love themselves instead of loathe themselves)–

“A size 0 isn’t a size, it’s a warning sign.”

I have never heard a statement more true.

Thanks for your info. I found your blog recently. I’m a writer and a mother of a daughter, and it’s frightening the messages we are sending to young girls about body image.

3. mamavision says:

Hi Kelli: Interesting information, I haven’t heard this either.

I am glad you found us. We have some fun and passionate conversations around here, I hope to see you posting more, we need more mothers to jump on this bandwagon.

Nice to meet you,
    -mamaV

4. kim says:

i find all of this sad, but it was not fashion designers who made me not want to eat or live. i did it because it was all i felt i had and i thought it nurtured me when no one else would. i think if i didnt have my ed, i would have just killed myself along time ago. i needed my ed then and im kind of finding i need it now because i cant cope, right or wrong that is why i do it. and while people may think it is the designers (and maybe it is in part, what do i know) it is more society because we keep buying it and watching it.

5. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

Guys i found out something intresting, you know how people say Marilyn Monro (sorry if i spell it wrong you guys know im terrible =p) was a size 14? well, with the way we changed out sizes, she was achualy a size 8, and todays size 14 was a size 18 in her day. In short we subtracted 4 sizes but kept the measurments the same. Sound confusing? Well, try transfering your size into the UK sizes, their sizes are real sizes, our old sizes. So a size 0 is really a size 4. and im realy a size 6 (todays size 2). That just really made me feel bad about myself…but reminded me of how someone posted how everyone use to want to be a size 6, forgot your name sorry but…i don’t know…shot my sprits to hell.

6. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

OH and Kelli i saw that to! my friend Brit told me i should go on that show because i feel fat all the time. Wonder why that is huh?

7. Mrs. B. says:

Amber,
    But I’m also 4 inches taller than my mother, who was of Marilyn Monroe’s generation. I can carry a lot more weight than my mother could because I am taller. Women are taller, and hence BIGGER than they used to be.

It has been said that with each additional inch in height, you should weigh about 5 pounds more.

8. YANYB says:

Mrs. B,
    My mother, a doctor, told me this. We were being weighed in elementary school and I was a bit higher than all of my friends. I whipped out the stat “Well, it’s 5 pounds for every additional inch, and I think I’m a little taller than you.” And she said, “Gabby, I’m 4’5. If that were true, that would mean I’m supposed to weigh 240 pounds. That’s not right.”

Booooo :(

9. Gabi says:

mrs b thats great news about your daughter :) xx

10. Gabi says:

gabby, mrs b is right and so were you. i work with dr’s and health professionals and it is supposed to be about 5 pounds for every inch. that doesnt mean 5 pounds exactly…its 5 pounds tops with the weight ranges. Im meant to weigh 25lbs at the most more than my mum whos 5″2. i happen to way about 30lbs less lol.

be well sweetie xx

11. mamavision says:

Mrs. B: That is great news on your daughter! I am so glad she is making progress.

Next the magazines, and then the scale.

-mamaV

12. Mrs. B. says:

I just had a great talk on the phone with my daughter. She’s about halfway through her 60 days of inpatient. This is such an emotional time for us all. I love her so much and she is learning so much about herself.

13. MotherLove says:

Saying Goodbye to the Fashion Police
    of this world?

GOOD FOR YOU!

Here are a few great ideas
    after you turn over that blessed new leaf!

1. BE YOUR OWN DESIGNER !
    or
    find people with a good fashion sense
    to learn from!
    Pretty/Modest

Rid yourself of all clothing that doesn’t fit.
    Be creative using what you got leftover!
    Visit yard sales and Thrift shops!

It’s amazing what you can find at antique stores
    for less than nothing!

2. Learn how to Sew!
    Get a Simplicity Sewing book
    Try a local Church, Community Collage,
    or “Jo Ann” Fabric type store
    They usually have classes.

3. Find a Mentor!
    Future Christian Homemakers – Teaching Girls to Become Successful Homemakers

Start a group in your area!

A Lady in Waiting magazine

There are tons of Mothers with Blogs
    and Single Ladies too.

Be Inspired!http://proverbs31.gospelcom.net/
    Proverbs 31 Ministries – Bringing God’s peace, perspective, and purpose to today’s busy woman

Women’s Ministry: Revive Our Hearts with Nancy Leigh DeMoss– Seeking Biblical Womanhood

Nancy helps you learn what being a Counter Cultural Woman
    really means!

Love in Christ,
    Mother Love

14. Bekah says:

MamaV,

I totally disagree with you about the whole couture designers selling at department stores. I think its a blessing, not a curse.

When I see Vera Wang at Kohl’s I don’t think that I need to be a size zero because of it, it actually does the exact opposite. If I can buy Vera Wang in a 8 or 10 at Kohl’s then I no longer have to wear a zero to wear “high fashion” type things.

15. weedivine says:

Bekah-
    I don’t think that making a size zero is the problem at all- in fact, all sizes should be made and celebrated. The trouble is when the fashion industry sends the message that a size 0 is their marker, their only acceptable size, the size they promote as beautiful enough to “model” their clothes.
    Selling lines like Vera at Kohls is fantastic, and I believe what mamavision is targeting is the fact that Vera Wang is not just selling now to the elite, but to a broader economic spectrum- which gives us even more of an incentive to tell the fashion industry that they should STOP sending the message that a size 0 is the beauty standard, and start celebrating the diversity of size and shape. In other words, if they want money from “normal” people, they should start to treat women with respect exactly as they are.
    The curse is not the expansion of fashion to everyone- its the expansion of the fashion industrys twisted beauty ideal. Fashion is great, wonderful, and fun. Its ideas about women’s bodies are not.

16. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

Thanks mrs b, i knew that but i didn’t think of that being why we changed our sizes, im only 5″3 and a half myself so i sopose that dosn’t apply to me. Also i belive people would belive a size to be thin, right? well sure for your 5″6 but im not even 5″4 so my definition of size 2 is chubby, only partaning to myself and thouse equally short and with my body shape and fat to musle ratio. If thats confusing it means in short..people that look like me. so my definition of size 6 is also chubby/wide/fat even because i think thats what i really am since i didn’t grow.

17. Katie says:

Bleh. The fashion designers absolutely did not cause my eating disorder in any way, but once I had it they sure didn’t help. The size 0 thing definitely is a big deal for me; I’m very tall (probably too tall to model) and a size 0 would be very unnatural, if not impossible for me, yet I feel like I need to be in that size. Fashion reform would be good.

18. Katie says:

Oh, and where does the 80% of 10-year-olds statistic come from? Maybe it’s my area of the country, but I don’t know any 10-year-olds who restrict eating and I have kind of a hard time believing that statistic.

19. weedivine says:

If you’d like a full list of statistics, with their correct references check out http://www.nedic.ca/knowthefacts/statistics.shtml
    That should help. And though you may not know any 10 year olds who you think would be restricting their eating- also think about a) how many 10 year olds you know, b) if you would have a way to know if they were restricting, and c) if you even know when your closest friends are restricting. Just some food for thought.

20. Katie says:

Well, I’m counting 9- and 11-year-olds along with 10-year-olds, which I do know plenty of, and I remember what my friends and I were at that. Of course I don’t know if they are restricting, but I really think few are. I do think it is my area of the country (the south), but still, if you say ten-year-olds without specifying, that means all ten-year-olds (both boys and girls) everywhere. Even if you limit that to the US or the Western world, I have a really hard time believing that.

21. Katie says:

The statistic may certainly be true in some environments; I would just like to know where they got that statistic.

22. Amber/vanity900/cult66623 says:

hey katie, i did that eairler than 8 years old…i was 5 i think.

23. Sass1948 says:

MamaV, people with anorexia (for example those models you posted about below) are mentally ill. Granted, the fashion environment is detrimental to these women but it isn’t to all anorexics. It is a detrimental environment just as the home is to a twelve year old anorexic.
    I know you don’t profess to save anorexics – real, mentally ill, bi polar, obsessive compulsive, sexually, physically, emotionally abused anorexics, you want to help the middle class teens surfing the net, naming them “social anorexics” – well then, you need to outline to the CFDA your theory on “social anorexics”, because I doubt Vera Wang knows about them. So they read your blog/grasp your argument/listen to your audience (us), and they move size 00 upward. Result! Now what? It worries me that you think the obliteration of size 00 will make weight loss less appealing to teens. Yes, if you can prevent ONE person from dangerous dieting then you’re happy, but there is a severe difference between teens dabbling with unhealthy/dangerous/fad diets AND ANOREXIA.
    I’ve lost the point of why and what you’re doing. Have you seen any positive changes so far? Have you helped anyone? I am genuinely interested, am not intending to attack.
    Call me negative, pessimistic but at the start of this, over a year ago now, you stood for something positive, but…it doesn’t seem to be having much effect. There’ll always be the people who are struggling, & suddenly discover your blogs & cant believe what a positive voice you are but, then what? You dont/cant give professional advice, or have time to reply always, so are they being helped?

24. x says:

And again they come crawling out of the woodwork to profess “It’s not the designers’ fault, it’s not our society, it’s not advertising, it’s a mental illness!”

Seriously, shut up. You are a moron. Look at the world around you and wake up. You are not a special unique snowflake who has been inflicted with this oh-so-tragic you’ll-never-understand disease. You are a product of our society and culture and you have a choice whether or not to engage in what you’re doing.

Also everyone should watch Killing Us Softly 3, about advertising’s effect on women by both sexualizing and dis empowering them.

25. amanda says:

I emailed and called them all week but they never messaged me back or anything.
    Sorry

26. Josie says:

x – anorexia has been around for hundreds of years. The reason it is getting more common is because of the rate of dieting, which can trigger anorexia in susceptible individuals. Dieting in part is because of socital pressures, so in that sense you’re right. And the continuation of anorexia is encouraged by our environment.
    But not all anorexics start by dieting due to societal pressures.
    “you have a choice whether or not to engage in what you’re doing.” Only to an extent. A person can choose to try to recover, or to engage completely in their illness. But to say it’s complete choice is disgusting ignorance. It IS a mental illness.

27. ibiteback says:

My eating disorder developed when I was 13. I was and still am a complete nerd/band geek. And I don’t think that is a bad thing, it just means I couldn’t name you one designer. My mom bought my clothes. And I like simple jeans and a t-shirt. The only reason I can name any designers is because this blog talks about them all the time. This blog is all about shock factor, but to people who aren’t 5’9” and 98 pounds think well I’m not thin enough to need help. And an anorexic who just gained alot of weight is the person who needs the most support. Once you have gained all that weight people stop caring and think you are better. But really you hate yourself and you hate your body.
    Mrs. B-
    I think it is great that your daughter is doing better. I still haven’t gotten as far as her. Just be prepared for the long haul. She won’t come back all better.

28. Mrs. B. says:

ibiteback…I’m WELL aware.

But the people she is working with are there for the long haul. And now I know that the most important thing for her family is NOT to be the ED police, but just family.

Check out this amazing place….
    For people who are Christian, it is a Godsend.

29. YANYB says:

Someone posted a link above to the NEDIC site, where I pulled the statistic from (I made these cards). It’s from a Berkley study: Mellin, Scully and Irwin, Paper presented at American Dietetic Assoc. Annual Meeting. It’s pretty outdated (1986) but I’d imagine that more kids are dieting in 2008 than 1986.

Sit down a ten year old girl next to an successful, emaciated woman and see how the young one eats. Most girls entering the pre-teen years are modeling after others. Most kids restrict at some point or another. This statistic doesn’t mean that it happens regularly or even often. I eat lunch with kids in that age group and I notice at least one strange food behavior each and every day.

30. Katie says:

Ah, well if it’s just restricting at some point, then that makes sense and, unfortunately, doesn’t surprise me at all.

Mrs. B., I think the place where your daughter is at sounds great, and I think it’s really cool that you’re involved enough to post on a site like this.

31. Mrs. B. says:

Katie,
    Thanks so much. My daughter is amazing. She’s one of those people who has so much life in her. She’s energetic, brilliant, creative….but hurting. So much like the brilliant women on this site. But it is really tough to be a young woman. It was tough when I was young and tougher now. I think that something really important for young women to remember is this. Be good to yourself. Have self respect. Don’t let anyone else control your feelings. Live day to day and take baby steps every day. Surround yourself with love and good things. I believe good things come from right thoughts followed by right actions. Love and patience are so so important.

32. Sass1948 says:

Many thanks TS – if am a moron, you’re a loser

33. Pingback: Rethinking beautiful « Wee Divine