Kanya West's Mama Dies of Beauty Attack

thumb.jpg

Dr. Donna West had absolutely everything going for her. Her son a rap star, herself a retired English Professor for Chicago State University, a recently published author, co-founder of Kanye’s Foundation dedicated to improving the nation’s drop out rates.

Why then is she dead?

Beauty attack at 58 years of age.

With fame and money comes vanity. Her quest is a familiar story, an aging woman looking to take off a few curves here and there. Except for Dr. Donna, she suffered complications. She will now miss out on all life had in store for her and it is  doubtful her son will ever be the same.

Are we nuts?

I mean seriously, how has this society been conned into believing that sucking fat out of various parts of our bodies is normal? Then we take it a step further and inject that same fat elsewhere. I just don’t get it. There is so much at stake.

I’ve had a few times in my life I have had the opportunity to alter what I looked like.

At 16, my agent offered to spring for a boob job. I didn’t even blink before responding “Hell no.” Then at around 30 years of age, I could no longer wear my contacts, so I seriously considered laser eye surgery. No go. As a mother, I would never, ever forgive myself if I could not see my children grow up, so asking a doctor to take a knife to my eyeballs was out of the question.

Don’t get me wrong, I am not blaming Donna West for her actions. I feel very sad for her. Sad that she took the bullet. Sad that 11million people will follow in her footsteps this year as they go about their beauty quest. Sad that as a society we just are not getting it.

Are you one to think there’s no harm in a nip and tuck here and there?

Read Backlash, by Susan Faludi.

51vo6vkkvcl__bo2204203200_pisitb-dp-500-arrowtopright45-64_ou01_aa240_sh20_.jpg

I will never forget reading this book in college for a Women’s Study course I took. Faludi outlines, in agonizing detail, the great lengths we are willing to look pretty.  Honest to god, if you can get through this book and still believe cosmetic plastic surgery is the route to go;

I give up.

mamaV

This entry was posted in Body Image, Fake Beauty and tagged , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Kanya West's Mama Dies of Beauty Attack

1. Terra says:

To be honest, I have never regretted having plastic surgery. In the life I’ve lived, with the conditions I do, it’s been a blessing. But then again, I was complicationless both during and post-surgery.

2. meccaglobal says:

My prayers go out to his family..

3. Josie says:

That is truly tragic. I hope she rests in peace and her family are okay. From reading the article she sounded like a wonderful intelligent caring person.

I wonder if the dangers of plastic surgery are made clear enough?

I’ve never wanted plastic surgery. This makes me even more glad.

4. Rachel says:

The only thing I have *EVER* considered for plastic surgery would be a liposuction on my stomach. It’s just a naturally stubborn area for me. I still can’t get myself to go through with it though!

This situation is so tragic. I’m so sad for him and his family. :(

Along the vein of plastic surgery, I will never, *EVER* get a boob job! http://www.siliconeholocaust.org <—That’s why! Check it out, and I’m pretty sure you’ll never want one either!!!

5. Rachel says:

^^Although, that being said, I’m not above getting certain hairy areas laser-zapped off… Namely an unsightly unibrow that I’ve been blessed with! Plucking and shaving gets annoying!

6. apple says:

Thank you for this post. I have Poland’s syndrome, and although I have been encouraged by my mother to “get fixed” (she has even offered to pay), I have always felt that there was something morally wrong with plastic surgery, and the thought of me undergoing it deeply disturbs me.
    Although I must say I do fully understand why people do it. If it makes them feel better, good for them, we all know the risks it involves. It’s just sad to see the lengths people go into and it’s tragic to see people loose their lives :(

7. beth says:

I have never regretted my plastic surgery, in fact my life has been enhanced by it, as has my body image. I still contend that it is similar to getting braces, mostly to straighten your teeth. Perhaps a little more drastic, but both require pain for the purpose of looks. Who are you to say that plastic surgery is a poor choice? Don’t people risk their lives every day by riding in cars, etc?

8. Christine says:

I am 17 and have my own views on Plastic Surgery. I want to get Lazer done on my eyes- but not because I don’t look good in glasses! I do! I just hate them. They are always breaking, getting dirty, lost, need to be resized, prescription changed, etc. It is SO MUCH HASSLE. I want to get surgery done to correct whatever can be corrected. And if I end up blind? Wow, better learn braille!! I’m sick of glasses, but not for beauty reasons.

And the only way I would ever get a nose job is if I broke my nose. Because I LOVE my nose!! If it breaks, the shape of it is gone :( I like my little roman-bump + ski-slope I got going on. It’s a guy-ish nose, but it suits me. If I didn’t have it, I think i’d hate my face.

9. Christina says:

alright, so i have a curveball here;
    i’m finally at a point in my life where my eating disorder(s) have stopped completely ruling me, though they still exist, but there’s one part of me that I really feel that i NEED to change in order to feel comfortable. i have wanted breast reduction surgery for years now, and now that i’m 18 i’m no longer completely ignored when i ask my doctor about this.
    but is this “wrong” as well? is it betraying my body, or freeing it?

10. Jack says:

Hello,
    I think your blog is terriffic, it is truely great, I do think though that you have a few little mis-interpretations with some of your articles, first of all Ms West was getting breast reduction surgery, she opted for the surgery due to physical discomfort, not her vanity. The way your article comes off is a little offensive to her situation I feel. Also the complications, were the dumbarse doctor left a surgical sponge inside her once she sewed her back up (excuse the informality).

11. Jen says:

I’m fortunate to believe that I don’t need plastic surgery, but I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with getting it. People who get plastic surgery need to realize that there is a chance that complications can arise. Unfortunately in this situation it was just a really bad doctor who didn’t know what he was doing and worked out of a strip mall. I think that’s an obvious warning sign, but unfortunately I think he’s been on Oprah promoting products or something, so she believed that he was a trust worthy doctor. I hope his license gets revoked and this teaches people who are considering plastic surgery to be extremely careful with choosing a plastic surgeon. This is a sad situation and I hope their family pulls together through this difficult time.

12. Rhinoplasty says:

I had a real big nose and slightly narrow at it’s tip. One of my friend george suggested me rhinoplasty, and I wonder how good is it to skip getting under knife.

13. Rhinoplasty says:

I had a real tough time getting along with my friends, esp when they comment atr my big nose. I finally ended up with a rhinoplasty surgery. Looks like good information rolling out here. Thanks guys…