True Colors – Pro Age Campaigns

I figured I might as well repost these for review as well. Do you see yourself here?

This entry was posted in Body Image, Fake Beauty and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to True Colors – Pro Age Campaigns

1. Vanessa says:

i don’t know how i feel about the dove campaigns. i think they sell a lot of dove products, and that speaks more to a deep need in western women for this sort of message than it does to how wonderful dove is. and i’m glad these messages have been rewarded by consumer loyalty and sales, because that means dove keeps putting them out there.

but if anyone believes that if the campaign hadn’t been a huge success then dove wouldn’t have chucked it and invested in skeletal models and making women feel bad about their bodies then you don’t understand capitalism.

2. Sass1948 says:

luv this campaign; have it over here in england.

refreshing to see “real” models, i actually watch the entire advert. these ads make me smile instead of make me feel terrible, and then i think about being more mature myself & how i should take care of myself so am a good-looking mature woman -all good :-)

3. kellie says:

I really liked the On Slought video in your previous post. It’s an amazing reminder of a culture that has beguiled us. We see it so much now that our eyesight is failing. We have lost sight on how dangerous the quest for youth and beauty has become. I dare say that this is not a quest that is “new”.

However, seeing all the images tied up in 2 minutes is pretty powerful; a great reminder.

I also like the Dove film from this post. Two things in particular:

1. The articulate young woman who talks about spending quality time with her mother is amazing. Just watch how she lights up when she speaks about sharing real life with her mom. I am convinced that being genuinely known and knowing someone else is what we all desire!

2. This quote by the Mom sitting by the side of the pool with her girls, “I can’t give them my teenage answer. I can’t give them my Mom answer ‘cause they won’t get it it yet. I don’t even get it yet.”

Such an authentic moment… A cry for an answer if I ever heard one! Maybe I relate to that because there was a time in my life when someone asked me why I didn’t get better when I had a daughter who would someday look up to me and want to be like me. My answer? I posted it yesterday: How can I give her something I do not have? If you’re asking that question, it’s a good one to ask! Finding the answer is worth it!

I am not crazy about the Pro-Age video, and of course, I’ll tell you why:

First, I can’t understand why we have to see women completely naked to sell any product. I know that the point they are making is that you should love yourself no matter what shape (or how wrinkly) you are. In the end, showing a bunch of different sized/aged naked women is STILL using the female body to promote their product.

If the Dove people are trying to sell me a philosophy on how I can feel better about myself, then give me something more substantial than some nice words, a naked lady and a bottle of soap!

This ad reminded me of something that happened to me that I haven’t written about yet. So I think I will share it with you…

Several weeks ago I was talking to my 89 year old Grandmother who can’t walk from one side of the room to the other, but apparently can still balance on the scale, because she can tell you EXACTLY how much she weighs. Right. Now.

She can’t remember my ten year old son from week to week, but can proudly tell you how much she weighed during her 30’s, 40’s and 50’s, where she maintained her weight until her late age which has brought on a bit of weight loss. This delights her, I can tell.

Her weight is important to her; too important.

A few weeks ago she made some comment on how she should drink this certain drink because she read it would help her with aging and her weight.

I literally, right there in the kitchen, prayed silently that when I was 89 years old I would not STILL be obsessing about outward appearances and the number on the almighty scale. I have made some gigantic leaps towards a healthier attitude and lifestyle, but please!, I cannot stand, for one millisecond!, to think my legacy would someday be that I was obsessed with myself!!!

So maybe this is why I am irritated with the Pro-Age Dove ad.

In one video Dove makes a statement that says we have to stop the images going into the heads of our children. Then they splash naked bodies all over the place to get me to buy soap. It feels a little two-fisted to me.

I will leave a legacy for my kids, but I have the power to choose what that legacy will be! I want them to remember me by the things mentioned by the articulate girl above: that I was loving and generous; with my time, my joy, myself.

Someday, and I never know when that will be, I want to leave this earth and have my kids and those who knew me say, “She faced some tough things in her lifetime but she did her best to work through the pain. As a result she was kind, loving, and thoughtful. She genuinely cared for herself and other people… and that was what made her beautiful.”

4. Josie says:

My thoughts on the videos:

first vid – this is sad. I used to feel like that, but not anymore. I’m okay with how i look actually. Apart from the weight thing, but that’s tied up with identity and wanting my outside to match my inside. I didn’t used to be – i had a whole list of things i wanted to change about my body, but then as i grew up i just accepted myself how i was.

second vid – people are always going to judge eachother on appearance because that is human nature – it’s in our genes, in our bodies. Sad and unfair, but true. We can try our hardest to override it, but it won’t make much difference.

third-vid – ironic that one of those products they’re advertising is a firming lotion…which aims to hide wrinkles and saggy skin!!!?!!!

5. ANON says:

I quote from this article

“There may be no departure for Dove in the Real Beauty campaign but there certainly is for Unilever, which also owns Slim-Fast. In the Slim-Fast ads, the target is the opposite of Dove’s: women dissatisfied with their appearance. For example, a Slim-Fast ad in the UK last summer prayed upon the insecurities of plus-size British women by comparing them to their French peers in bikinis on European beaches. Bright described the Dove-Slim-Fast contradiction as merely a result of Unilever owning various brands, “There are a lot of different types of people in the world, and I think that’s how those campaigns live in the same company.” Bright presents an interesting point about the consumer that both Dove and Slim-Fast are trying to market to: the same woman. Both brands are hoping that their products are going to appeal to different sides of the same consumer. Based on the Global Report, which only found what we already knew to be too true about bad female self-esteem and body image, Unilever proved that it targets women who are dissatisfied with their bodies to sell Dove. Does this mean that Unilever does not take that into consideration when targeting ads specifically selling Slim-Fast to the same unhappy women? It seems like Unilever wants to make a profit off of the insecurities of potential female consumers whether they want to lose a few pounds or have a more radiant complexion.”

6. Paige says:

Mama, I don’t know if anyone here watches the Tyra show, but today they had the “next big thing” in the fashion industry on. She’s 16 years old and is modeling – of course – coture clothes made for women in their 30’s and 40’s. Tyra, of course, praised her for her thin physique and congratulated her for being the youngest model to grace the cover of Vogue.

I had to tell you about this, because I thought of you the second they announced her. I think it is SO obvious that this is wrong, and it makes me so sad that Tyra, a woman many young girls look up to as a role model, would support this kind of unacceptable behaviour on the fashion industry’s behalf.

The only question I have now is: When is her next show on the low self-esteem of teens coming up?

7. mamavision says:

Hi Paige: Thanks for the info, I will research this online. It is disapointing that Tyra takes such a stance, especially because the is an influencer and has the ability to actually change the tides.

The very first post I did on this blog was about a episode of Tyra’s show, the first I ever saw, which happened to feature a “challenge” where the girls wrapped in towels, dropped them, and strutted nude up on to a high stage on top of a skyscraper.

2 girls out of 30 contimplated not posing nude….but all eventually did it. I was like “since when is posing nude part of being a model? where are the girls mothers, many were underage? and MOST of all, why is this just old hat… and girls are like sure I’ll take it off, what ever it takes. It just seemed sad and innapropriate to me.

Anyway, stay tuned I’ll do my research and do a post shortly.
    Have a good day!
    mamaV

8. there is a need for firming lotion so that we can always maintain the health of our skin ,:”