Adaptation

For your interpretation girls.

Hmmm, what would mamaV say?

Love you!

XOXO

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Adaptation

1. Sass1948 says:

so true. wonderful. gave me something positive to mull over tonight. speaking of mulling….this hand book, ive decided i luv it. hopefully it’ll bring to parents’ attention the pro ana activity on the web & they may think twice before allowing their vulnerable child/teen to surf the web. i dont agree that the book will increase pro ana activity because it is bringing negative attention to pro ana, NOT positive attention, which is (in my view) what mags displaying pics of skinny celebs does. it seems everyone is expecting the book to generate a wave of mass publicity when in reality, once a book has been accepted for publication is when the hard word begins. getting the book publicity is a hard job itself. i dont see how the book will spur on self-absorbed pro anas. silly idea.

2. Elle says:

I have loved this movie since i first saw it in the theater. Not only does it have many great messeges, it is also a brilliant script. Charlie Kaufman is an amazing screenwriter. I would recommend all his films.

3. Vanessa says:

well, thanks for calling it a “silly idea” sass1948. but there are many people right here on mamavision that originally found pro-ana through “negative” publicity about pro-ana, like attention in the news media or on oprah.

i think it’s a silly idea that parents have enough control over their teenagers that knowing about pro ana will in any way help them prevent their teens from participating in it, or prevent an eating disorder for that matter. only a young mom that desperately wants to think she could prevent any harm from ever coming to her own daughter could be so naive.

4. Maria says:

mamaV, I just wanted to say I love this site. I found it through another blog, and it’s so great…

I just recently gained 20 pounds after a 6 year battle with anorexia.
    I’ve never felt, or looked, better.
    It makes me so sad that I lost all those years to the disease, but that just gives me all the more reason to live, love, laugh now.

Anyways, I just wanted to say that you’re doing a great thing… thank you from the bottom of my heart. :)

Life’s too short and food’s too good to starve ourselves.

5. Sass1948 says:

then you’re very wrong vanessa. there is nothing more impertive than parents’ awareness of their childs’ activities so that they can confront their child and TALK, confronting any issues the child has, therefore “nipping any possible problems in the bud”. you’re obviously not a parent…

6. Rachel says:

Maria, I am so glad that you feel and look better!! Keep on living, loving and laughing. Life *IS* too short for us to be starving (or binging/purging/overeating/etc/etc/etc) ourselves!

7. Vanessa says:

sass1948- i disagree. i’m not a parent, but i had two wonderful parents who did everything they could to “nip my problems in the bud” as you call it. we didn’t have proana back then, but they tried to stop me from reading sandman graphic novels, because they were too depressing. all it did was make me angry and stop sharing things with them. they tried everything, and they didn’t do too bad a job- i was able to get through undergrad and work with troubled teenage girls, and then enter grad school for social work, before my eating disorder finally caught up with me. when i worked with troubled teenagers some of them had good parents some bad, but even the good ones couldn’t protect their children from everything.

by your logic, talking to your kids about not having sex before marriage and how they shouldnt drink or smoke weed it will prevent them from doing those things. it’s just silly. i’m not saying parents have no influence. but if you weight the large numbers of girls who will be drawn to proana through the “negative” media attention against the very small number of parents who might make some sort of “nip in the bud” type difference, i’m telling you the equation is going to favor proana. and if you don’t believe me then you simply don’t understand how many people find proana through “negative” media attention.

8. Sass1948 says:

blah blah blah i stopped reading after “sass i disagree i’m not a parent”. scanned a bit more but stopped again, feeling bored by your life story. i’m sure you have a valid point but my point is valid too 😀

9. Vanessa says:

nope, if you’re not willing to read through my point and you call my “life story” (it was a PARAGRAPH, but i know, you were trying to be rude and make me feel bad, not trying to make sense) then i’ve changed my mind.

you DON’t have a valid point. you can’t take anyone disagreeing with you, and you don’t have the brains to defend your arguments, so you make personal remarks instead.

10. Vanessa says:

ahem. call my “life story” (brief paragraph) boring, i meant to say.

11. mamavision says:

Hi Vanessa and Sass: Please take your discussion to the forum so we can keep the posts on topic. Click to the forum from the right navigation….I will weigh in on this topic from there as well.

12. mamavision says:

Hi Maria: I am thrilled to hear you are doing well, life is open to endless possibilities when you are free of the constant nagging of anorexia. I hope to see you here more often! Take care!
    mamaV
    XOXOX

13. Heidi says:

What awesome advice. I need to soooo take that to heart. Thanks for sharing that.
    -Heidi