Dead Girls Walking

Be afraid. Be very, very afraid.

I just completed a depressing review of the fall collections showcased during NY Fashion Week.

We had the usual dead girls walking. Three dead models in 2006 did not cause a blip on the fashion scene. Human clothes hangers they want, human clothes hangers they will get.

Designer Marc Jacobs topped off his twigs off with knotted rats nests, paired with a “rexy” heroin chic flair. Stay classy Marc.

DKNY disapointedly followed suit by showcasing her best designs with freakishly tall, gawky models. The elegant, flowing pants on model #1 still did not hide the grotesque open space between her anorexic inner thighs, while model #2’s bony concave chest distracts from the entire look. Donna, love your clothes, but you truly disapoint.

Rookies followed suit with this potato sack number by Alberta Ferretti. Poetically coined “Philosophy,” Ferretti actually made a solid choice in model here, since  protruding collarbones served as a distraction from the pure ugliness of the sack-o-rama.

Next up, Daryl K dressed his skeleton with this odd combo. Walmart shoes and socks paired with a retro snap-up blouse. The choker further highlighted the skull-like face and dead stare of his model. K-Man, hang it up already.

Let’s wrap up the shitty side of things with a great, bad example from Helmut Lang. The entire suit looks like crap on this body-less vampire. The size 00 pants are so dreadfully baggy I found myself counting wrinkles.

The only bright spot was Betsy Johnson who choose to showcase her flirty designs on these healthy models. Thank you Ms. Johnson.

1 million anorexia deaths annually

12 million pages of pro anorexia content on the web

1300+ “thinspiration” videos on YouTube

5 pennies and several rings balanced on the protruding collarbones of a pro ana

Any correlation to fashion trends? It’s a stretch, but I’ll go out on a limb and say it just might be a possibility.

Fashion Images

This entry was posted in Fashion Freaks. Bookmark the permalink.

70 Responses to Dead Girls Walking

1. KerryElizabeth says:

my friend walked in fashion week for the first time this year! i wanna say it was for LiCari….if not… may have been betsy johnson–i should find out.
    good post though–and yes, those grey pants look ridiculous!!

2. Kim says:

under fun facts, i would be interested in how many deaths are of eating disordered people who commit suicide.

3. Josie says:

Kim – it’s a large proportion – 2nd most common cause behind heart attacks. How are you doing btw?

I have the “anorexic” thigh gap even though i’m healthy. Seems a little wrong to label it anorexic, but maybe i’m just pedantic.

Sad also that those “healthy” models would still fit in perfectly on a thinspiration video…

4. Rose says:

the healthy looking models looked chubby to me! I wish that the meadia wouldn’t focus on rail thin girls, by doing so they only make the concept seem normal in our minds, when size 00 isn’t normal or healthy at all, i think that if i didnt see stick thin models so often i would find the healthy ones attractive.

5. Jane says:

I hate the clothes that those poor girls have to wear… do they realise how rediculous they look?!

I hate to say it, but I would still kill to look like those models… sick as it sounds, especially since Im meant to be recovering, but even though they have their own problems, Id rather look like that and have issues than look like me and have issues.

Rose, I also think that if size 00 had never been normalised in society, the “healthy” models would have looked fantastic, but all I could see were their flaws :o(

6. Emmy says:

Do you want to encourage higher self-esteem/self-image or do you just want to bash the thin models. Those girls are almost always naturally thin though a lot of them do diet to maintain their weight or to become thinner. I don’t think very thin bodies should be the ideal for everyone but there is no need to bash girls who are naturally tall and thin. If you want to discourage eating disorders there are better ways to go about it.

7. Sarah says:

both my best friend and i model. yes, i have “disordered eating” but my friend eats everything in sight and at 5 10 and weighs 115 pounds. i dont think its fair to call all of these girls anorexic. i think the girls modelling from betsy johnson are obviously healthy but are in the wrong profession to be models. i’m sorry i sound like a bitch but it’s how i feel. models are skinny.. if girls are going to try to emulate what they see then they do.

8. Katie says:

I agree that those models make a bad beauty standard, but I don’t think it’s helpful to call them ugly, freakish, or grotesque. I myself am very tall, much taller than the average model. In real life, being tall is really hard and it can hurt to hear things like “freakishly tall.”

9. Josie says:

I also agree with Emmy and Sarah actually.
    My sister is 6ft tall and until recently was an anorexic weight. She ate perfectly normally, and was very healthy. However people always used to call her anorexic and generally label her.
    Most people with EDs look perfectly normal, not walking skeletons. Noone thought i had an eating problem because even at my very thinnest i wasn’t much different in size to my sister. Skinny=anorexic is what the media tells us, and we’re meant to be not being led by the media anymore!

10. Kristin says:

First of all, we don’t know if the ‘healthy’ models have eds. Bulimia has heaps of normal-size victims. And ok, they look like they’re probably going to live longer, and maybe be able to bear children. But if I were that size, I honestly don’t think I’d want to flaunt my body! I know it’s weird, but I almost feel bad for them in a way. It’s like having a fat fiend, who has the most gorgeous face… I’ve looked at pictures like these since my early teens, so the gap between the legs is gorgeous in my mind. But I don’t think it’s all fashions doing. Remember when I was 8-9 years old, some girl in my neighbourhood was totally underweight, I don’t know why but I really looked up to her, envied her. It’s so fascinating to watch. You’re like, how are you even alive? Does it hurt to sit down? Whats your secret, is it hard??

11. Sara Greene says:

Thin models may contribute to the developement of eating disorders, but you cannot place the blame soley on models. They are just doing their job, and even if you hate to admit it, underweight people look better than overweight people. No one tells eating disordered induviduals that they HAVE to look like that besides themselves.

Skinny is prettier, in my, and thousands of other people’s, opinion. Three hundred million people can’t be wrong.

12. Laura says:

I agree that these are not healthy images for young girls to emulate, but bashing them and calling their bodies ugly doesn’t create anything positive either. The real issue with the models is they appear to be barely alive. Is that a make up effect? There are very thin women naturally who are miserable and self-conscious, wishing they had some curves. Who is to say what body types are beautiful or not? And what good does it do to call ANYONE’s body ugly?

I think these types of images probably just fuel those who are seeking such reinforcement. Where is the positive re-inforcement supporting girls to love their own bodies, as opposed to attempting to “hate” and place blame on the fashion industry. I’m not saying that the fashion industry is doing anything positive, I just think we need to acknowledge it and move on.

13. Vanessa says:

i think i’m on the fence on this one. i think that if the point is that many of these girls appear very ill (either anorexic or terminally ill with some other disease) and are probably more victims of the fashion world than anyone else, then i support that view. i might not choose to be so harsh about their bodies but i also tend to agree that looking terminally ill is unattractive…

14. Kristin says:

I agree with everyone here I thin, that’s strange. I think everyone agrees, put a curvy allbeit overweight woman (like say M. Monroe, she was size 14) next to a thin woman, and even if you pass out questionaires to children in newly discovered tribes in central Asia, they’re going to tell you, flab isn’t appealing, cellulite is as ugly as it is normal, and jiggling just isn’t sexy unless you have that kind of fetish!!!

I KNOW, I’ve been the voluptious girl that attracted stupid horrible sexmaniac men and even married men, and I’ve been the pre-teens-looking butt missing girl in skinny jeans. I still had some boobs. And I felt loads better. Walking was easier, people could lift me and that was funny, you know all that.

I think it was on king josies get better-site I faound a link to this ana girl/woman who said she was totally happy and active, as long as she kept her calories over thousand-twelve hundred a day, like not STARVING, but calorie-restriction. Looks can be deceiving, when I lost huge amounts of weight eveyone thought I was ana but really I did it healthily and felt great! So maybe some of the stick thin models are actually happy??? It feels better having people admire you than being sexually harassed because of your big boobs and feeling horrible about your weight! At least I did…

15. Kristin says:

Sorry about the spelling, by the way, I’m writing too fast for my own good :)

16. Sarah says:

i guess what just annoys me is that a school counselor pulled me in to talk about my weight. she did things even i know counselors shouldnt do (i’ve been to many) she told me i look extremely thin and unhealthy and have been losing a lot of weight. you know what i told her? that she looked extremely overwieght and unhealthy and looked like she gained weight over the summer.

i dont get where people get off telling people theyre too thin. over eating is the same as under eating, its all emotion and control or lack thereof and i’m sorry but it is “rude” to call somebody fat so i don’t appreciate people calling me to skinny or other models too skinny when about 80% of america is too fat. is it a jealousy issue or something? i don’t know where i’m going. i hope someone understood!

17. Kristin says:

I understand you. You go girl! I just hope you’re ok, it’s really sad when things get out of controle, I know – been there, done that. Tell me if you want to talk.

18. Rachel says:

I’ve got a friend who is very naturally thin. She gets the ED question all the time. In fact, she *has* to eat 3500+ calories per day to MAINTAIN her weight. Man, I wish it were that easy for me!

As far as these models go, yeah, some can be naturally thin, but methinks the standard is very, very skewed. They just plain don’t look healthy, and they don’t look happy. They look like walking cadavers, IMHO. I don’t say that too be rude, in fact, I think it’s kind of sad.

Betsy Johnson’s models are thin, but they’re healthy. There is a stark contrast between the two types of models showcased here. The others just plain don’t look like they’re healthy. I look at them and think “that can’t be good for their bodies.” Betsy’s models are healthier, and I would go so far as to call them healthily, naturally thin. Muscles and a bit of fat are OKAY, it’s natural. For me, nature is beauty.

Yes, obesity is a problem. Yes, eating disorders in general are a problem. However, the messages from our media are so schizophrenic and so warped, that it’s hard for anybody to figure out what’s right and what’s wrong anymore. My head spins when I think about it.

19. Sass1948 says:

for goodness sake mamav isnt attacking tall models for being tall she’s attacking how unhealthily, scarily, THIN those tall models are. some of you take so much so personally, so narcissistic.. now THATS freaky!!!!

20. mamavision says:

Hi All: Thanks for the passionate comments. A few followups:

As my favorite psychology teacher Dr. Bandetini once said “Be careful of those who base their entire live view on their own personal experience.”

Read through the posts above, “My friend is this,” “I am this” “I know someone who”

My point is that our own personal experience is not the world view. If 50% of the models are tall and extremely thin, that means the other 50% have eating disorders to do their job.

It is a proven fact that models influence body image, check out Dove’s global beauty study for all the statistics. Therefore, I am asking the fashion industry to start being reasonable, pick a happy medium. Betsy Johnson’s models look great! Let’s get back to the Cindy Crawford days, healthy and curvy. Even at that, most of us will never have that body.

Another quite bothersome point, but to be expected based on our readers, many of you see these images and believe the girls bodies look beautiful. One even commented the Betsy Johnson models look chubby. This saddens me so much. I am glad you are being honest, don’t get me wrong, but this just shows me how far this beauty image has been pushed into our culture.

It would help a great deal if models and fashion designers agreed to go from size 0 to size 8. Yes, size 8 was the norm just 10-15 years ago! To you that must sound very large, but it is not, especially when you are 5’9 minimum.

21. KH says:

Yeah, posting mocking and disparaging comments about teenagers and young women you’ve never met is really cool. Great way to try to make a difference.

I don’t suppose it’s occurred to you that some of these women are not yet fully developed, may have an eating disorder or drug problem that likely causes them personal pain, or may be naturally thin? I would concur that the image presented as desirable by the fashion world is unhealthy; however, bashing women who earn a living wearing these clothes (instead of the designers who dictate the size of said clothes) is not only pointless, but cruel.

Compassion is something you might want to explore.

22. kim r says:

I think it’s great what you are doing. Do you know when you plan to take your cause to the professional dance industry, espically ballet, and gymnastics?

23. Rachel says:

kim r, I think that MamaV takes this cause to the models because of her personal experience in the field. Dont’ get me wrong, I’d *love* to see the ballet industry “beef up” to a healthy bmi. It is a similiar situation, but I suppose it’s a “pick your battles” sort of deal.

I think that the desired image of the fashion world sucks, to be honest. The women wearing these clothes go through a lot of BS in order to be in this. The (possibly homosexual male) designers need to get off of the pre-pubescent male look. It’s quite unbecoming on these women, and personal issues and problems or not, they look like they are quite ill. They remind me of walking cadavers, to be exact. It’s quite sad, IMHO.

Also, IMHO, The idea of making mandatory BMI for the industry to follow is a good one. I believe tthat there are places in the world where this is so. I don’t remember offhand, but in light of the three deaths last year due to eating disorders, a mandatory BMI *was* established in one of the four main modeling hubs. This is a good place to start. I think everybody else should follow suit.

Yes, the fabric flows on someone who is a bit thinner, not obese, but these poor women look like popsicle sticks with fabric on them. That doesn’t look good either. Poo Poo to the clothing designers and the industry that dictates that this is good!!

24. Josie says:

size 8 isn’t large. i’m bigger than that. however it is ideal for someone who is that tall.

25. Nats says:

Just to add to this post that London Fashion week is using all models of shape and size including size 0, new thing is that they have to produce a medical certificate to prove they do NOT have eating disorders! If they dont get that, they cant do the show! Its crao though, people have contacts and people will work around this loop hole!

26. Elle says:

Mostly off topic, but felt I had to say something. mamV: “As far as the obesity epidemic goes, different problem, different solution. This is not the topic of discussion here.” I have to disagree with you very strongly. (Here I am going off on personal experience, but frankly, what else have we to base our judgments of life on? And just what do you think you’re doing mamaV?) Having had members of my family who have anorexia/bulimia and compulsive over-eating, from my observations and in the opinion of many psychologist, they are very related. Now, not all obese people have COE disorder, but a basic trend in all people with unhealthy weights (that are not cause by other physical health problem or general living conditions) is that the person has an unhealthy relationship with food and lacks the proper association between hunger and eating. Also, the general issue of self-esteem and body image is very much a cause of both problems. I think the solution to both problems are very closely linked and have alot to do with social perspective on body image/beauty, food and eating, and mental health.

Concerning the models, I think it is very counter productive for your cause, mamaV, to make negative comments about any woman’s looks including models. You preach that we should accept ourselves and our bodies, but then proceed to dictate what is beautiful and healthy. A doctor can tell us if these girls are healthy or not, but not you. This all reminds me of some other website I saw claiming to celebrate “feminine beauty”. The site proceeded to be incredibly bias and had standards for “feminine” that sure made me feel like a dike. If someone claims to celebrate beauty and self-acceptance, lets celebrate ALL forms of beauty and let’s truly accept.

Not to mention I thought this site was holding the FASHION INDUSTRY accountable not individual girls who are as much victims of the industry as anyone. You were a model once, starving themselves to be thin and get hired. How would you feel when you were a young model for someone to essentially blame you for what’s wrong with the world and call you ugly and sickly?

27. Sarah says:

Elle, thank you.
    In MOST cases..not ALL, obesity is an eating disorder. i realize sometimes genetics play a role, but other rimes people can’t stop themselves from eating. bulimics then throw up. anorexics aren’t able to eat in the first place. when i mentioned obesity earlier it was for the people who can’t help themselves from constantly eating. its all the least its all under “eating disorders” in my psych book.

28. mamavision says:

Hi Elle: Thank you for your comments. I understand where you are coming from but frankly, this is about saving lives. Sometimes in order to bring attention to a topic I need to be blunt and to the point.

The fashion industry that parades these girls on stage needs to get their perspective corrected. Girls are dying, eating disorders are skyrocketing in the industry and in society, and they have the influence to start change. That’s all I am asking for, to start heading towards healthy.

I’m sorry, but I these girls look scary and spooky. They are pale, they don’t look happy whatsoever, and I don’t buy they are all ‘naturally thin,’ its a load of crap and they know it. As I said, even if you are naturally thin aren’t you concerned with all your friend models that are vomiting constantly?

Yes, I lived it, saw it daily and honestly I would say 1 out of 10 girls were naturally thin. And guess what? That was when a size 6 or 8 was acceptable!

C’mon we have a serious social problem here and someone has to start making some noise. I refuse to sit here and worry about hurting someones feelings because you know what? We just might save their life.

29. mamavision says:

On the obesity topic, yes, its disordered eating. Frankly, we are all totally out of whack with eating – its either obesity or anorexia, dieting and diabetes. I just read an article that for the first time ever, children are having high blood pressure.

My point is, obesity is a major problem, but not my cause. Pro Ana and Eating disorders directed at starving, binging/purging for the goal to be thin and beautiful is what I feel I know, what I am passionate about.

30. Scary…I am a thin person and looking at these models make me think of what are doing to their bodies? This kind of trend in the fashion world must stop.

31. Vixxie says:

It’s so, so sad that these women continue to prevail as the norm in the fashion industry. I thought that progress had been made after the ban on unhealthy models during Madrid Fashion week, and the decision in London to ban Under 16’s from the catwalk. At the moment I’m supporting a friend with an eating disorder and modelling aspirations, which is proving to be both draining and devastating for me, let alone her.

Incidentally, I wondered if there are any other English girls here who followed the storyline of Hannah and Melissa in the popular teen soap Hollyoaks? It recently became the first in our history to document the entire story of an eating disorder and its consequences. Melissa, a seasoned model and anorexic became friends with Hannah, a beautiful girl with little self worth. As Hannah got drawn into Melissa’s world of anorexia as a normal lifestyle, events spiraled out of control, with Hannah’s desperation to keep her secret reaching extremes (even accusing her oldest family friend of molestation so her Mother would stop questioning her appearance and moods). Melissa’s exhausted body eventually died of a heart attack leaving Hannah feeling completely abandoned.

It’s kept me and my friend gripped and if you’re interested some of the story’s key moments can be found on Youtube: – Hannah has fainted for the first time and those around her are concerned – mostly Hannah’s confused family but the scene at the end when she visits the wasting Melissa in hospital is just heart wrenching. – Melissa dies, having been discharged by Hannah, planning to escape

32. Aoife says:

I must say that this article does not land on my good side. I know your intentions may be good and I am not against highlighting the dangers of anorexia and the fashion industry, but a page of insults aimed at these “freakishly tall” and “gawky” women is not impressive and is quite insulting to me as a thin and tall women myself.

“The size 00 pants are so dreadfully baggy I found myself counting wrinkles.” To that, I ask you where you got the information on the size of her pants? The staple size of a models clothes is usually not a 0 or a 00. I would find it hard to believe that a women of 5’10” (or similar height) could fit into a size 00.

Finally to the picture and comment about the “pro ana” girl I refer you to this video.

33. name says:

You are factually inaccurate, representing a girl who is NOT anorexic as anorexic.

The girl with the blue shirt is NOT pro-ana. She has large collar bones but DOES NOT SUPPORT ANOREXIA.

You should remove the girl’s photo from your site, instead of FALSING ACCUSING the girl of being pro-ana.

34. Vidde says:

The girl balancing things in the pockets of her collarbones did it as a joke. To be funny. She is not proana. I have been following her videos on YouTube for like a year, and she has never said anything positive about having anorexia.

35. Crisaa says:

You should not be posting pictures of girls you “think” are pro ana unless you have the decency to e-mail them and ask them. I am a subscriber of hers (the girl in the blu shirt) and she is NOT pro ana ! In fact, she is against pro ana and said so in a couple of her videos. Why whould you call her pro ana don`t you know that is insulting for a person that has some issues but is strongly against pro ana ? I am sorry for my bad english, I am from Romania. You should remove that picture

36. sally says:

stealing people’s pictures so you can label them as something they aren’t? classy, real classy….

37. kitty says: this is the person u got the picture at the bottom from have u bothered to watch it or even contact the person about using the photo before hand?

38. duh says:

the point is that she has been triggering people with eds (intentionally or unintentionally, it doesn’t make that much of a difference). Sure, you shouldn’t falsly accuse people of being ‘pro-ana’, but the main point is the picture itself. Anyone who knows anyhing about eds is likely to know that a pciture like that is what plenty of ed people aim for. The girl who posted it acted irresponsibily.

39. susan says:

posting that picture of the girl in the blue shirt is a copyright violation and the label you give her is slander. i think instead of an article about diseases you should write one on internet criminals. you already have one example

40. sarah says:

in response to “duh”: from what you are saying, any of the pictures in this article could possibly trigger people with ed’s. how can you say that the girl who originally posted that picture acted irresponsibly? you could say that any picture of a skinny girl on the internet can trigger people with ed’s. she posted the picture as a “joke”. the pictures in this article were posted to show the writer’s disgust at the dangerously skinny models in fashion. and yet both can trigger ed’s. do you see my point?

41. Elle says:

Sarah, for once I agree with you. Your response to “duh” is pretty much my opinion too.

42. Angry Reader says:

I wonder if you’re one of those stupid fat bitches who grudges anyone who’s smaller than you are. Not all of those models are underweight. You didn’t have permission to use those pictures for your examples and you should probably start you’re “rants” with actual facts rather than your foolish opinion. Believe it or not people who actually HAVE eating disorders have a real hard time facing themselves without you adding to the trouble.

Why don’t you attack people who over indulge in food on a daily basis, or does that strike you too close to home? Before you attack a certain group of people make sure you actually have a fucking basis to talk your shit. You’re “article” was tactless and foolish and shows the world how truly arrogant you are. Here’s an idea: post an “article” about YOU. Show us how fashion and fashion models SHOULD look. Let us see how truly “healthy” and “fashion savvy” you are. Don’t be shy, don’t hide. Obviously you’re a great judge of the anti-barbie campaign and know what you’re talking about. Educate us less intelligent people who read your articles and post senseless comments because we’re obviously too damn scared to tell you what we truly think.

43. AEW says:

In response to susan: It would be libel, not slander, as this is written.

44. KCR says:

My intention is not to bash the point you are trying to make, but I definitely don’t think it’s right to make fun of these models with cruel words: “dressed his skeleton”, “body-less vampire”, “topped off his twigs”. I think there are better and more polite ways to make a point.

45. Jessica says:

You know nothing about that girl in the picture or whether she is pro ana or not. and i seriously suggest asking for permission to use peoples pictures

46. no-duh says:

“Duh,” You are a dumb ass.

If someone can get triggered by someone’s collarbones, they are an idiot. It is THEIR problem… not some girl who is NOT pro-ana. People allow themselves to be triggered and act accordingly. It doesn’t matter if there are 10 million photos like this around. Either people can deal with life or they can’t, photos of collarbones or not.

47. no-duh says:

“but I definitely don’t think it’s right to make fun of these models with cruel words: “dressed his skeleton”, “body-less vampire”, “topped off his twigs”

Good point. It’s not. You may as well use similar words: fat ass, dumb fat old hag, hippo butt, fat piece of shit.

Fat ass or “body-less vampire” are both slander. Worthless blogs like this defile all that is intelligent.

48. ActorTMarie says:

This picture and this controversy brings up the down side of putting yourself out there on the net. If you put something out on the internet, it can be used by anyone, period. Regardless of whether it is right or not. For the record, I just think the pro-ana title is probably not the best since she isn’t pro-ana. Lleave this as a lesson,if you post it, it’s out there for anyone to see and manipulate

49. echo says:

There are a lot of things I can respond to here.

The whole article made me teary eyed because looking at those pictures, my first thought is ‘what’s wrong with looking like that?’ How many more years will I have to work on this distorted view of what’s okay and what’s not??? And the pennies on the collarbone thing… I’m also ashamed to say that I had to try that out when I saw it…

And as a response to a comment about somebody 5’10 not being able to fit into a size 00… Yes, it’s very possible. Even at 5’10, a 00 can be kinda loose. Probably depends a lot on build though(?)

50. Aoife says:

Echo, I guess it’s a possiblity, but I do doubt it. Maybe in the UK (where I’m from) the size 00 (a UK size 2/3) is different? I’m 5’11” and at only around 120lbs a size 00 doesn’t look like it will ever be possible to me and yes I’m fairly small boned.

51. mamavision says:

Dear Angry Reader: Your point can be articulated with out the f-bombs so please clean up your language.

If you read my blog you will find many stories about me, who I am, and what I stand for. The “About Mama” section is probably the best place to start.

I am in fact quite educated on this topic, and I do my best to not just state my personal experience from the modeling industry, but instead research the current trends, and most importantly I read all the post here from young women around the globe who spell out what the issues are.

The reality is we are going down an unhealthy path. These girls are not solid role models, they do not represent the norm, and I will push and push until we start seeing the ED death rate drop significantly.

I do understand my post is direct, blunt, and “in your face” but that’s my style so you may take it or leave it.

52. mamavision says:

Hi echo: Thank you for your post and your honesty. I do hope you will come to a place in your life that you see images such as this for what they are. The core of this is self esteem, and learning how to take small steps in your life towards building it.

Girls always ask me “where do I start?” and really that is a personal decision. There are some simple things you can do immediately:
    1) Stop weighing yourself, and ditch your scale.

2) Stop buying fashion magazines, what are you getting from the magazines that is positive? Reading the same beauty, fashion and diet articles surrounded by airbrushed models is not going to do a thing for self esteem.

3) Get up, get out and find out who you are. Start reading, go the library, check into hobbies or groups or travel or something you are interested in. Mine was sewing and needlework, I absorbed my head in it and escaped from it all.

4) If none of the above helps, consider talk therapy, figure out what the stem of your lack of confidence is and crush it! Life awaits you, don’t waste another minute wishing you were someone else…because you know what? Even if you were that perfect girl, you would still be miserable- I’ve been there and done that…its hell, but not one tells you that.

53. Ailys says:

mamaV – you have still failed to address the issue of the Not Pro Ana girl whose photo you have used in your article. It’s very true that if you post your photo on the Internet, it’s there for everyone to see, label and repost, but even though I disagree with some of your angles, I have a lot of respect for you as a writer. And in my opinion, ignoring the fact that the girl in that photo directly contacted you to inform you that you had made a mistake in labeling her “pro-ana” is a very silly and unprofessional thing to do.

54. A Photo Tech says:

To respond to the girl who said that if you post a picture on the net, others can use it. This isn’t so, as a photo tech at a photo lab, we won’t sell pictures that are obviously from the internet unless that person has a copyright release, or, if claiming to be the author, signs one. You can be sued for such a thing and we’ve had so many people send in orders of copyrighted pictures without a release so many times. I guess my main point is, don’t assume because there are limits.

55. chrissy says:

wow………. to me those girls are admirable, they represent strengh and they make me feel week like nothing at all compared to them, i dont admire their image as such but jus there sense of control! is it sad i admire them? xx

56. Niika says:

I don’t understand why you’ve still got that girl’s picture up and STILL refer to her as pro-ana, when she very clearly stated that she is not pro-ana (and her collarbones don’t even naturally look like that).

57. Brent says:

I agree most of the girls look unhealthy, and I haven’t read through all of your posts but IMO (and from what I gather yours too) not only is the fashion industry dangerous in their weight standards, but these standards also give many women an unnatural impression of what they should look like.

However, I came across this rather randomly through the blue shirted girls video log today. I don’t know her, and today is the first time I’ve seen her stuff. I’m not her friend, so I don’t think her request to stop leaving comments on here applies to me.

I used to be able to do this when I used to work out and still had a bit of a belly. I’ve never been skinny. I just flexed my neck and moved my shoulders a certain way. Which is what she did.

I know I’m a guy, but this girl is in the military and physically fit. I looked at a few of her vids because of this, and (I stress may here because I haven’t watched most of her stuff, and don’t know her) while she may think she should be thinner than she should, she definitely isn’t “pro ana”. Albeit, her self image may well be negatively affected by these “pro anas”. Apparently, you refuse to address this issue at all.

Furthermore, it is one thing to use a model’s photograph as their career is based on this image. It’s entirely another to take a personal picture someone has posted without their permission and use it as any such a personal example. It’s even worse when it’s taken out of context as you have done.

If you insist on using a picture of this young lady, why not use one in her natural relaxed state?

I agree with your cause, but not your methods. I must say, it rather detracts from your credibility where honesty and rationality is concerned.

I politely suggest changing something here. If this is the same attitude as others that share your cause, it rather detracts from this cause.

58. Hmm... says:

The girl with the pennies isn’t a “pro-ana”…

Though honestly I don’t think anything in this article was tactfully done.

59. Jill says:

Remove the rings and pennies picture. That girl is not pro-ana, and she does not deserve to have that image smeared all over the place (more than once on your site).

I like the idea behind your website and all, I think it’s great that you’re giving people a good slap in the face about issues that need to be addressed. Trust me. But some of the things you do- particularly when it comes to posting random pictures of people- come off as rather offensive. You don’t have the right to use those images, regardless of what your reasoning is behind it. Please take it down here and wherever else you have it posted.

60. ana says:

your afreak why are you slaggin off mdels i think there beautiful i am anorexic i do not want ot look like a fucking model
    i am ill
    i have a mental ilness its not about looking at fucking models you stupid immature pathetic child!

61. el says:

You must be really fat to hate skinny people so much..

call them grotesque and dead disgusting.

they choose to live their lives the same way your fatass chooses to live yours.

Dead girl walking. why dont we see that associated with fat people?

62. Sera says:

Why u STILL havent taken down or edited ur post says alot about u unfortunately…
    You dont have a right to use anyone else’s picture
    and use do a great dis-service to ur “cause” by leaving it there.. where it’s clear that the girl who’s collar it is has asked u to take it down.. last year!
    Do u really not care??
    It is sad if u dont…
    Think hard before u do this again
    But i spose u like having people visit here…
    pretty selfish i think!

63. DreamingPerfectWaif says:

You’re making me want it more. And to think…. My mother was ana when she was young. Now she is obese with MS. My sister has been ana-prone since she was..6? in Brazil. Her plauge has spread to me.

64. Maria says:

this post really irritated me, there is nothing wrong with being slim!
    And ‘freakishly tall’ thats got absolutely nothing to do with being slim you can’t change your height! I’m 5 foot 9 and I am naturally very slim and it can be annoying more than anything so before you start slandering people’s weight you should take into consideration people who have difficulty putting on weight.
    In reference to your pro ana facts, how about all the people who die from obesity, heart disease and other weight related problems.

• Jenn says:

Thank you. I thought the same thing. She has managed to insult almost all of the females in my family, none of whom do heroin or have eating disorders. It is these types of ignorant and hurtful attempts to promote well-being and healthy respect for one’s body, that actually do the opposite. There are all sorts of body types. I hope that my niece who made herself sick drinking milkshakes, trying to gain weight, to no avail because our bodies are not made that way, does not come across more articles like this one. I want her to know she is fine just the way she is, not “freakish” or “gawky.”

65. Pingback: dead girl walking

66. SodaDreamer says:

God damn it! It is so frustrating reading these comments about how the “healthy-sized” models are fat! I am still recovering from my eating disorder and am now at a healthy weight. Yes, there is a standard for a healthy weight.

Having a bmi of 16 is absolutely not healthy, being 5’10” and 115 pounds give you a bmi of 16.5. My bmi used to be about 14 and my heart almost stopped beating. This is a serious issue and I don’t think that society takes into account the thousands of deaths caused by eating disorders every year. Promoting models with a healthy bmi (at least 19.5) and making current underweight models gain weight so they meet these standards, in my opinion, is the right way to go.

Obviously, the media is not completely to blame, but when you are suffering from an eating disorder these images are extremely impactful and make recovery nearly impossible.

I’ve been suffering for six years, and I don’t believe I’ll ever fully recover, sometimes I’ll even relapse. I want other young people to have an easier time recovering so they don;t have to deal with this for the rest of their god damn lives.

67. hotels says:

quite intriguing post

68. Jenn says:

Really disappointed in your choice of words. I am what you would so kindly describe as “freakishly tall”, possibly even “gawky.” Naturally. I am not a heroin addict, though apparently you would assume such. I look like all of my relatives. This is our DNA. While at 43 I no longer am bothered by such insulting comments, I do feel concern for my younger relatives, who are also naturally “freakishly tall” and “gawky” per your description, and I hate that they will have to encounter cruel comments such as yours. Our entire family has that body type. Not because of eating disorders, but because that is natural and healthy for us. In your attempt to promote well-being for girls, you’ve only managed to fall into the same body shaming you are probably attempting to fight. When will people learn that it’s about being healthy and true to one’s own body? And that there is no need to insult one body type over another? We are all different, and that is exactly how it should be.