Life beyond the blogs

It’s summer, the weather is beautiful. Let’s take a breather from all these HEAVY topics and blow off some steam.

God ole’ Josie had a great idea on the forum, tell us the fun stuff about you! And since it is Friday, maybe these ideas will “trigger” some fun for a change? Yes, that’s still possible :)

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Looking forward to some fun reading!

mamaV

This entry was posted in Life Perspective. Bookmark the permalink.

22 Responses to Life beyond the blogs

1. mamavision says:

Ok, here is mine!

What is your favorite reading material?
    Chicago Tribune, I thought newspapers were on their way out but the Tribune has amazine stories, reporters are awesome. And there’s something about being able to hold it in your hand and relax in a comfortable chair.

Business 2.0 magazine, you guys don’t know about this side of me but I am a web tech freak. People call me a nerd and it’s great compliment because I was never a good student.

My Home

Are you into sports?
    I love volleyball, I always wish I would have been able to play in high school because I was great…but my grades sucked and they won’t allow me on the team (too much pot smoking back then). Live and learn.

Now I do anything my body will allow me to. My neck poses alot of restrictions, but I push through it as much as possible. Swimming with the kids is awesome.

What was your favorite game as a child?
    Kick the can, do you all even know what this is? Ha! Showing my age.
    Othello, my dad and I played this board game all the time, its still available!

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    I love chunky heeled sandals. I am tall and I always tried to hide my height, but now I show it off! My husband is 6’4 and I love it…plus in business it gives you nice edge to be a tall woman!

Aldo is the best shoe store….love GoodWill too, around here you can get some awesome like new shoes for $2.99

mamaV

2. AlexaaaA says:

What is your favorite reading material?
    Novels…. my favortites are:
    DAS PARFUM BY PATRICK SUSKIND
    THE UNBEARABLE LIGHTNESS OF BEING BY MILAN KUNDERA
    SIDDHARTHA BY HERMAN HESSE
    diary of a ninphomaniac by Valerie Tasso
    Azteca by Gary Jenings
    (and too many more, but this are the top)

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    the sunrise in dolphin beach… the first day of 2004.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    i love to watch football, and i e used to do kayaking for many years and i loved it!

What was your favorite game as as child?
    i wasn’t a very playful girl, but i loved a red tricycle.

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    i wear every kind of shoes, some people says tha i sould have a closet just for my shoes, most of it are Boots, all kind of heels and sandals.

3. Lily says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    I love reading biographies, anythin psychology related, books about animals and the newspaper :)

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    I’m not sure, mayb Achill Island in Ireland or the lake near my house, I love lakes!

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    I love to swim (apparently a water baby which used to get in quite bit o trouble
    always endin up soaked :) — have avoided swimmin cause of wearin a swim suit for years but recently on hols I went swimming everyday and it was brill :) :) :)

What was your favorite game as as child?
    I was lost in make-believe as a kid, used to imagine whole worlds(all my teddies were alive back then!) and play for hours. Loved playing wit my dog too (still do!)

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    I’m not mad into shoes but wear pumps alot and have a pair of red docmarten summery shoes that I wear a good bit.

Thanks for putting this up MamaV, sometimes I forget there are other things in my life besides the E.D and things to be enjoyed in life,

Lily.

4. -Jen- says:

MamaV! I haven’t posted a comment in FOREVER! I’m all over this one.

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    Right now I’m reading Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult but I read a lot of kids books so that I can put them in my classroom library. (I won’t put anything on the shelf that I haven’t read myself.)

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    Ummm……..That’s tough. I can’t think of the most beautiful, but my favorite is out at our pasture under the big tree with the tire swing.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    I absolutely LOVE soccer. I’m not the best player, but I have so much fun playing! Right now I’m going through soccer withdrawl. Good thing the A&M Women’s soccer season starts this month! WHOOP!

What was your favorite game as as child?
    No doubt it was blind man’s bluff. You know, the one where your cousins blind fold you and call your name so that you have to try to find them. It gets even better when they call your name from behind a tree and you smack into it. =) (But really…I loved this game. LOL! I don’t know why.)

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    CHACOS! (and lots of flip flops too….I hate wearing real shoes.)

5. kay says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)

Right now I’m reading a book called “The Life of the Bee” by Maurice Maeterlinck. Don’t laugh, it’s interesting! haha… I’m trying to finish the New York Public Library’s Books of the Century list. My favorite book of all time is A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. By the way mamav, thanks for recommending that Steinbeck book a while back; it was really good!

I love the Oregon coast.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)

I love all sports. Watching moreso than playing, though; I’m too competetive.

What was your favorite game as as child?

I have 5 brothers, so… throwing dirt clots at each other I guess was our favorite pastime.

What kind of shoes do you wear?

I have size-12 feet. I can’t wear much of anything! It is my cross to bear as a tall person :)

6. Frosty says:

What is your favorite reading material? I love biographies! But right now I am reading “Gaining” by Aimee Lui, it is very good and I just finished reading “Unbroken” by Tracey Elliott.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen? Hmmm, probably the Grand Canyon, it was amazing. But driving into Las Vegas at 1am was beautiful too.

Are you into sports? I love participating in sports but as I’ve gotten older watching is fun too. I love to ride my horse

What was your favorite game as as child? Playing in the woods with my two younger brothers.

What kind of shoes do you wear? sandals!

7. juju_ana says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    currerntly i’m reading two books… one about waste management as a virtual art form and it’s consequences and technology between paris and london in the 19th century…. and a chuck palanhuik novel call Rant.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    the alaska tundra in autumn, as seen from the top of a good sized mountain. all the blue patches… berries!

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    horseback riding, juggling, and circus arts… not so much with the truly competive ones

What was your favorite game as as child?
    i would play “trouble” by myself a lot…

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    either Teva’s or my ratty old Adio skate shoes.

8. Josie (Joey) says:

MamaV – my dad taught me to play othello!!! I don’t think it’s showing your age 😛 My sister was teaching the french girl othello a couple of nights ago too!

Jen – i was so unlucky – i didn’t learn the AMAZINGNESS of blind mans buff until i was about 13!!! I played it as much as i could when i discovered it though – my house is great for it because there are steps and arches and a big fireplace with gaps down the sides in the living room!

9. bri says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)

definitely Laurie R King (detective stories in series, one about Sherlock Holmes the man, one about a professor, one about a San Fran female police detective)

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?

the night sky above the Colorado River, just before our first day of rafting. the stars were so bright i could swear i saw them all and a meteor shower started just as we crawled into our sleeping bags. i slept with my glasses on.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)

yep…ultimate frisbee all the way.

What was your favorite game as as child?

playing with my cat and pretending i was one too. that ended when i got al concussion trying to jump from the dining room table to a bookshelf when my mom turned her back. needless to say, she put the kebosh on it.

What kind of shoes do you wear?

birkenstocks, teva flip-flops, keens, and running shoes

10. Danyel says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    The Bible and anything by Karen Kingsbury. Love her, love romance.

I haven’t yet.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    I like to watch them. I love watching Basketball.

What was your favorite game as as child? I don’t remember my childhood too much, but I do remember playing hide and seek,,,,,

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    Flip-Flops or anything cute with a heel! :)

11. Danielle says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    My favorite book in the whole world is Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen (great movie too). I also love the entire psychology section at Barnes and Noble (especially books on eating disorders), anything written about food and American culture (such as Fast Food Nation), and anything related to medicine and doctors and such (currently reading Complications by Atul Gawande, which is amaaaazing). I also like history books (especially ones on WWII and Hilter), biographies, and pretty much anything that isn’t fiction. I generally dislike fiction with the exception of a few Chuck Palahniuk books.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    The Coliseum and ruins in Rome.

Are you into sports?
    I used to dance before I injured my knee. I also used to cheerlead, which really IS a sport. When I was much younger I played every sport imaginable. Now I just watch sports mostly.

What was your favorite game as as child?
    Freeze tag and jail break. All the kids in the neighborhood used to play at once. It was good fun.

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    I have more shoes then any one person should have. It’s almost disgusting.
    Diesel sneakers <3. Ballet flats. Slouchy suede high boots. Ankle boots. Flip flops in every color of the rainbow. Things that don’t take a lot of effort to put on. Boat shoes. Heels that hurt just looking at them.
    No Uggs. No over the knee boots. No chunky heels. No straps that tie up your leg. Those are so ridiculous and impossible to put on.

P.S. I totally play Othello.

12. Jane says:

1. What is your favourite reading material?
    I’m in the middle of four books at the moment… I am rather ferverent about reading, if there are words written down on a paper… I want to read them! I’m more of a true to life sort of person, I like the (auto-) biographies. Although, I loved the whole Harry Potter series :o/

2. What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    Abu Dhabi corniche, you can sit down next to the sea, and look over the water to see the emirates palace, there are trees and grass and flowers…The tranquility is amazing.

3. Are you into sports?
    I also injured both my knees so find many sports too painful, but I love to swim and cross-country powerwalking… I’m much more of a gym person!

4. What was your favourite game as a child?
    I used to love skipping, the hula-hoop and hopskotch (although I was never very good at this… my balance is crappy!!) I think to be honest though, my favourite games were always things like scrabble and battleships *blushes*…. yes, I was a very strange child lol!

5.What kind of shoes do you wear?
    I usually wear ballet pumps, cuz they’re really comfy for work, but occassionally I do make some form of effort and pull out a pair of heels,,, I hate heels though, they hurt me feet!! I deff. go for comfort before anything else!

Jane x x x

13. christy says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    Well, it had been a while since I read for pleasure rather than to meet a course deadline, but this summer I did read The Year of Magical Thinking which I enjoyed, and The Glass Castle which I also liked very much. Some of my favorites are Little Women (I devoured that book many times as a kid), Jane Eyre, Grapes of Wrath, To the Lighthouse, and many more. I am a literature nut.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    Growing up, my family and I would spend time in Colorado in the same cabin surrounded by mountains, trees, and a small creek that ran along the side of the house. The image in my mind of the house, the mountains, and everywhere you looked as far as you could see covered in snow that glittered under the sun. Sounds kind of cheesy, but it was truly beautiful.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    I love tennis. I played on the team in high school, and try to play as often as possible for fun now. I also like to run (good way to de-stress).

What was your favorite game as as child?
    Marco Polo when swimming; Monopoly for late night sleep-overs; Hungry-Hungry Hippo; Trouble; Chutes & Ladders; CandyLand… I loved to play games as a kid.

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    Flip-flops mostly. My mom always gives me a hard time because I have a lot of shoes in my closet yet I wear the same ol’ plain rubber brown ones I bought for less than 5 bucks at Target. Oh well, they’re the most comfortable!

14. . says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    I really like the book dreamland

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    not really sure, but I can tell you that on a blazing hot summer day NOTHING looks better than my pool does

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    YES! I play softball, I’m obsessed with it, I play for three different teams!

What was your favorite game as as child?
    I’m not really sure about what my favorite game was, but I loved making puzzles

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    either my flip flops that I got from school and or llbean moccasins, they’re so comfortableee

15. .mel. says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    — i like fantasy and biographies

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    — the ocean and once i was standing on top of a mountain in the middle of the night. it was amazing

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    — i used to play badminton

— CLUE!!!

— Converse ^_^

16. Angie says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)

I’m a book fiend. But I love me some funny, so right now my favorite book to read is the Amazing Mackerel Pudding Plan.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?

Really, any place is the most beautiful place if you’re next to the one you love.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)

Not really. I used to be a dancer.

Clue.

What kind of shoes do you wear?

Mainly flip-flops now that I’m back on campus, but I like my Chucks, and I love black lace-up boots. I’ll wear any shoe as long as it’s red or pink.

17. Leah says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    i like reading autobiographies and books that relate to my life.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen?
    that’s a tough one. just recently i took a trip to canada with my family and went to the butterfly gardens in victoria. it was incredible.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    i did cross country last year, and i did cheerleading for 6 years.

What was your favorite game as as child?
    candy land and freeze tag. hands down.

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    converse all stars. almost every day. i’m against heals. : )

18. Leah says:

HEELS. oops!

19. Jamie says:

ok i’m adding a couple of things onto this list lol.

What is your favorite reading material?
    Any James herriot books and anything educational or noneducational about animals.

What is the most beautiful place you have ever seen? San Salvador in the bahamas. Its a very small island but everyone there is so friendly. There’s nothing there except for the necessities which I love! No one worries about stupid stuff like their weight and how much stuff they can get that looks nice. They are there to raise there family properly in their religion and to help each other. Its a place I would love to retire to because its soo layed back and the ocean is just so beautiful. I love the ocean anyways cause it just makes you think of all the creatures that live in it…some we know of and some that have yet to be discovered. Ok enough rambeling about it…its beautiful! lol

Are you into sports? I love my Ohio state buckeyes!! O-H-I-O! lol Michelle knows what i’m talkin about! lol
    Also I love the steelers. I used to play softball in grade school but stopped playing my 7th grade yr cause of what was happening in my life at the time. I also ran cross country and track in high school.

What was your favorite game as a child?
    softball, freeze tag, and races

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    Flip flops during the summer and nike shocks. Anything that is comfy. I love heals even though i’m sorta tall, 5’9″.

What is your favorite type of movie?
    Anything scary….steven king movies are awesome! I really like the Saw movies also. I really like romantic comedies too.

Favorite memory as a child?
    Seeing my mom while I was at school everyday during grade school and also helping animals. The memories from softball games where good too. :)

20. I think Nike’s are going to the retro look now for the more casual crowd. Their athletic line is ugly, but I like the retro looking ones.

21. Weldon Harnisch says:

Well I really liked studying it. This information offered by you is very helpful for proper planning.

22. Robyn says:

What is your favorite reading material? (non-online)
    books! duh. i’m a bit picky so i can’t really say a genre.

spain.

Are you into sports? (non-exercise, just for fun!)
    yes! dance, gymnastics, basketball, and much more.

What was your favorite game as as child?
    oh man… monopoly? freeze tag? twister? jump rope? hide and seek? all of the above!

What kind of shoes do you wear?
    flip flops in the summer, flats year round, boots in the fall and spring, uggs in the winter, tennis shoes when exercising.