Who is mamaVISION?

Why I do what I do.

In order to grow this blog, and my efforts to be a voice of reason to the proanorexia community, I need to let go of some privacy. I am not thrilled about it, but it goes with the territory since press inquiries demand these type of personal details

Its been so fun being incognito! But I think letting you all know more about me is important and will perhaps inspire you to find your passion.

I live in a small midwestern town, I’m a normal working mom of two, with a mission to change our incessant fear of fat. I think I am proof that one person can make a difference.

Thanks for all your support girls. To newcomers comments always welcome, let it fly whether you agree with me our not, I love a healthy debate.

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

31 Responses to Who is mamaVISION?

1. kay says:

Mama V,

The video was completely nice of you to do. I actually started cracking up when you said that you were in beverly hills!!! you want to talk about a homogenous proto-type of beauty …it is there

I hope you can stay sane while in that “bubble.” Thankyou for offering insight into your thoughts as they pertain to helping the eating disordered community. I appreciate you taking time out of your life, to do something so wonderful for people whom you do not know.

Once again love and hugs

2. Go Heather! It’s fabulous to use your real name since I knew it for so long. Now you join the ranks of us other “putting it out there” bloggers. It’s quite nice actually.

On another note, I’m very proud to see how your blog and you have grown since you started MamaVISION. You are making a big difference in the lives of many people and that is the kind of work that gives back to the world.

I remember when we first met and you were so nervous about alot of things related to blogging and revealing things about yourself. And look where you are now. I can’t wait to see where you are a year from now! Keep up the awesome work!!!

3. PrincessAmie says:

hey mama… omg its weird like knowing your real name… LOL its like i new you were real, but in the world of the internet its like there is this mysterious feeling of like your real, but not really real… so heather… hehe…. you will always be mamavision to me :)
    Love Amie

4. danielle says:

Two words:

You rock.

5. wanderer says:

This was awesome, thank you for coming forward and explaining more about yourself and your mission with this blog.

I live in the LA area, so who knows, maybe I passed you on the road this weekend.

6. mamavision says:

Thanks Stephanie! You have been my biggest support this year, I can not thank you enough.

Girls, did you know that if it was not for Stephanie from backinskinnyjeans.com I would not even be here. Yep, she convinced me to keep blogging, even though I was really scared.

Those of you that blog have probably discovered that it requires to really look inside yourself, sometimes at things you don’t want to deal with. Putting yourself out there for all to see is scary but worth it. That’s how I found this passion, how lucky I am to have found a forum to met people and utilize my bad experiences for some good!

Thanks again Stephanie, can you even believe it has been a year?
    To 2008 and beyond!
    mamaV….I mean Heather

7. mamavision says:

Oh yeah Princess Amie, I am sticking with mamaV…its just so, me! It is kind of funny how not using my name was like hiding behind a mask.

Glad to see you have become a regular here, great to read you posts and thoughts.
    Take care!

8. mamavision says:

Danielle: Two words, thank you :)

9. mamavision says:

Hey wanderer! I like your “fake name” by the way. So how do you like LA? I travel there on business, and this was literally the first time I browsed around.

What a total scene it is. Not sure I could hack it. Were you born and raised there?

After traveling in my youth and living in all the big cities, I am a true small town girl. Love my yard, garden, safe streets for the kids, and peace! There is just so much room to breathe!

Take care!

10. Christy says:

Hi mamaV,

Thanks for sharing your name, but I do not think I can get used to anything other than mamaV! It suits you perfectly. Anyway, I understand what you mean about the fear that accompanies sharing your private thoughts and information with others by way of blogging or any other public medium. It takes a brave person to do so. Like you!

11. danielle says:

This is completly irrelevant to this entry, but have you ever visited this site?
    It’s a good one. :)

12. wanderer says:

I’m a “wanderer” since I wander through the blogosphere (which is how I found you; I think I googled “anorexia” with “fashion”). Like you, I was also born and raised in a small town. Desire for change brought me to LA, even though I knew living there would present a lot of challenges. So far I’ve enjoyed the diversity and the cultural events, but the traffic! Argh!

What you said about Beverly Hills and the general LA scene is true–it can exert pressure and trigger disordered eating patterns and body image distortions. The first time I walked around a studio I was alarmed at how thin the actresses were. Nobody famous mind you, just extras and those with small roles. If the actresses on that level feel the pressure, then I can only imagine what the A-listers must feel they have to do to get–and keep– the big roles.

13. PrincessAmie says:

hey MamaV…

guess what?! My shrink finally stood up and did something for me today… she believes me! She believes and recongnised my feelings about having an ed…. i am seeing a psychristist (cant spell) on monday and they are going to hook me up with a gp because i need to come under a doctors supervision… im excited that i may have a chance of getting rid of my ed for ever… just wanted to tell you… ohh and also… you remind me of the actress from umm….. whats her name…. the chick from ‘cheaper by the dozen’…. she seems so caring and loving… i think you are too… your like the a cyber mum :)
    love amie

14. -Jen- says:

You’re going to blow your superhero cover! There may tibute to you’re incognito-ness on http://www.biteus.wordpress.com very soon!

15. Do you also enjoy long walks on the beach? 😉

16. mamavision says:

I do PTC, while playing Manilow. Are we a match?

17. mamavision says:

Just posted to biteus, I am cracking up at your URL. Be safe and have a blast!

18. mamavision says:

Amie: This is great! I was so glad to read your message. I hope everyone else reads it too, your excitement and relief comes through in your words….there is a path to recovery and you found it.

Keep me posted!

19. Hmm, I don’t know what Manilow is. I did give myself a concussion on the beach 3 weeks ago though. :) I’m a dork!

20. Oh, I’m glad you like our URL. HA!

21. -Jen- says:

I think you two are DEFINITELY a match! LOL. Maybe you could bring PTC back down to earth.

22. I can’t think of anything creative to respond to that comment with, Jen. Just because I got a concussion doesn’t mean I’m spacey!

23. mamavision says:

MANILOW….as in BARRY! Is there any other? Dude, he is the king.

24. PrincessAmie says:

hey mama V
    okies im going to post a letter that i wrote to my mum… i just want to know… should i or shouldnt i send it to her… i dont want to hurt her, but i want her to wake up to herself. Oh in the letter… Dean is my step dad

July 12, 2007.

Dear Mum.
    I wanted to write you a short letter to find out what is happening between us. You hardly ever call me anymore, and when you do it’s to ask me if I am prang calling Dean. Mum, I don’t know you anymore. You’re supposed to be my mum but you don’t support me or even care for me, if you cared about me you wouldn’t bane me from your house. I told you that I tried killing myself a month ago and you didn’t even ask me if I was ok. Mum what’s the deal? I need to know what you want; you need to decided if you want to be in my life 100% because if you don’t want to than you have made the choice to have nothing more to do with me. I am so confused about where I stand with you, I am so mad at the way you treat me, you think you can treat me like crap and still expect me to be there for you, it’s not happening anymore. I am human and I have feelings and I won’t let you hurt me anymore. Mum everything that is happening in your life you chose. You know what Dean is like, but you have made the choice and you need to live with the consequences. I don’t want to know if Dean is hurting you, I tried to help you and you threw it in my face, you can’t expect to treat people badly and have them do things for you. You told me that if Dean ever hit you, you would leave, you lied to me mum. I don’t know what happened to you as a child and I don’t know what problems you have and are facing but mum something is not right. I wish your family were more open and not so secretive. I am sorry to say, but I pray to god that I will not be anything like you when I am a mother. My children will always come first, I will always protect my children and I will never treat them the way you treat me. Mum you’re an adult and you need to start acting like one, you are not a victim because you have chosen this life. You need to take responsibility for what you do and say. You always said I had problems and your right. You have confused me and treated me badly since dad died, you treated me like your friend, you put me in a position where I had to support you, mum I was a child, and you should have been mine support. You went over boundaries with me; you failed your responsibility of being a parent to protect me. You have lied and manipulated situations and people to get what you want, and I just can’t stand back and say nothing, because by saying nothing and I am condoning your behaviour and I will not do that. You need to be more honest in your relationships, one day everything will come out. I am telling you now, that I will sit down with Dean and I am going to tell him everything. I will tell him about me being sexually abused when I was a child and you knowing about it but not doing anything to stop it, I will tell him about all the lies you have told, I will show him the files from child safety. I am sick and tired of being your excuse and scape goat. I will no longer take the blame for the problems in yours and Dean’s relationship. I didn’t deserve to be treated the way you treated me when I was eleven and twelve. The hate Dean feels for me is misguided, that hate should be directed at you. Your relationship is built on lies, it will not stand. I don’t want your money, you have lied and cheated to get that money and you will be caught out. You can have all the money in the world mum, but that will mean nothing when you are alone. You are going to face a reckoning; you are going to face the consequences of all you have done. You are the reason for my 8 years of counselling, you are the reason to why I was placed in foster care, and you need to start taking responsibility. Mum I am going to Mercy Ministries to heal from the way you have treated me, you are the underlying reason to everything I do and feel. You need to seriously think about what you want and where your morals and priorities lie.
    Love Amie

25. HA HA HA!! I am so freaking laughing right now because I read that as “Ma ni Low,’ like the envelope. I’M SUCH AN IDIOT!! That’s pretty funny that I’m that dumb!! I was concussed so I will blame it on that!

Not a big Barry fan. I do like the Copa Cabana though. 😉

26. Jane says:

MamaV I just can’t call you anything else now :o)

I am somewhat amazed at how much you have been able to achieve even whilst keeping your privacy, but to me you are still the amazing woman I’ve grown to love and trust… Its a shame that you had to come out more into the open but at the same time I do think that people will take more notice knowing that you are a “real” person (lol… no that you werent real before)

Anyway, love ya MamaV!

Jane x

27. Yo Mama!!

Jen and PTC here! We hope we dont’ pass out on the subway tomorrow. We wouldn’t want to hold anyone up.

28. Bryanne says:

Midwesterners unite!

Still love your site.. revealing that info made you a little more vulnerable, I applaud you for it…

29. Pingback: rocket spanish a SCAM,language learn spanish now,how to speak spanish fast

30. Tom Phillips* says:

Wow. Thanks for being there for all the girls who are losing their lives. I am a father of five girls. None of them have an eating disorder, but they are runners. One runner at our track meets is a sweet girl who is very fast, but she is obviously deeply anorexic. I wrote to our Association’s president and officials about it.

They can’t or won’t do anything about it, but told me to talk to the parents and coach. I’m going to do that, but my wife, who is a nurse, said that they will deny there’s a problem. They will probably be mad at me.

Oh well, I’m going to do it anyway, even though I have no experience at this at all. Her life is too precious a thing for me to see her throw it away.

Wish me luck.

31. Tom Phillips* says:

Here is a copy of the email I sent to our Association. The runner’s name and web link have been deleted. I don’t have a copy of the response, but one person said that the Association can’t do anything, and that I should talk to her parents and coach. When and if I see them, I will do so.

My wife says to absolutely do not get involved, and to tell the truth, once I’ve mentioned it to them or responsible parties, I will probably drop it.

Dr. S, and PAUSATF Officials (names deleted):

I am concerned that one of the PAUSATF champion athletes is suffering from anorexia nervosa. I would like to know if there is any responsible action that the PAUSATF should take to ensure the health of our athletes in general, and this athlete in particular. I am the father of five girls, and no matter how well they did in their athletic endeavors, I would not trade their health or their lives for athletic success.

I know I may be running the risk of seeming to step over the boundaries of minding my own business, but I am going to take that chance. I would appreciate your review of the following links, and your comments.

(Name deleted) seems to be a very sweet girl, and it would be a shame to have her suffer in the future from something we could do for her today.

Thank you.

Thomas W. Phillips*

Subject: Anorexia Nervosa in Elite Runners

(Name deleted), a sweet girl who is obviously an anorexic, a member of the PAUSATF, and a champion runner:

(Web link deleted)

An aricle about a phenomenal athlete (Alex DeVinny) who died from anorexia nervosa:

An article about three students “Starving for Perfection”, including facts about eating disorders:

Elite Runners are at High Risk of Eating Disorders (UK study):

“I’m running well, so how could anything be wrong” (Off The Road Column, by Dr. Russ Ebbets):