Who are you?

We have developed quite a cool community this past year haven’t we? Seriously girls, this blog is as much yours as it is mine. I hope and pray you have found some help for your ED suffering here.

I need your help. When I am interviewed by the press or for case studies, I am asked questions about you. I am guessing at the answers so let’s start collecting real stats (I am working on adding an actual poll to the site, I just don’t have it figured out yet).

questionmark.jpg

The goal here is to gather basic statistical information about the mamavision community. Of course you may remain anonomous.

3 Why are you here?

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?

a) word of mouth

c) ProAna forum

d) Googled pro ana

e) other

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

c) My eating disorder is due to the diet restrictions enforced by a coach/sport or business/modeling.

6 If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

Thank you!

mamaV

This entry was posted in Random Thoughts. Bookmark the permalink.

105 Responses to Who are you?

1. Jazz says:

1. 19

2. mother is 47, father is 50

3. I don’t know, you post some intresting things. It gives me something to think about.

4. other

5.n/a

6.n/a

7.n/a

8. a) I don’t compaire myself to models

2. Celia says:

1 What is your age? 21

2 How old are your parents? my dad is 43, my stepmom 43, and my mother 47

3 Why are you here? I believe in your cause

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? b) YouTube (searching for MTV’s True Life: I’m Bipolar)

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: No eating disorder here.

6 If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:
    I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is: n/a

I want to be thin because: n/a

8 Models are currently averaging 5′9 and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does this mean to you? d) it bothers me and I support efforts to pressure the fashion industry to change.

3. Leah says:

1 What is your age? 16

2 How old are your parents? mom-51; dad-64
    3 Why are you here? i am trying to stay away from pro-ana and look at more positive sites.
    4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? a, youtube.

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: a

I want to be thin because:

e) Other: i am TERRIFIED of being fat, or even close to it.

4. Val says:

1 What is your age? 31

2 How old are your parents? 56 and 57

3 Why are you here? I’m interested in size acceptance, EDs, …well, all topics on the woman body in our societes…

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?
    e) other : a link on another blog (I think it was “back in skinny jeans”, though I might be wrong)

a) I am overweight for my age and height.

e) Other : I’ve struggled with EDs since my teenage years, yo-yoing…and truth is : a part of me thinks I’m a lot prettier when thin. Never got rid of that thought !

Thank you for this wonderful blog !

5. Amy says:

Mother: 47
    Father: 47

3 Why are you here?
    I’m engrossed in the topic of eating disorders and hope that visiting this site will eventually help me find the strength to curb some of my ana behaviors.

d) Googled pro ana

6. 1 What is your age? 29

2 How old are your parents? 67 and 62

3 Why are you here? To read about EDs

a) word of mouth

I want to be thin because:

e) Other _i just want to be skinny and have my bones stick out.

7. *** says:

1 What is your age? 23 years old

2 How old are your parents? 51 and 52 years old

3 Why are you here? To find out a way to get well

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? d) googled pro ana

(and fear)

d) I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women.

e) Other- I believe that if Im thin everything will be better, I’ll be in control, I wont be so afriad.

Thanks for being there Mamavision

8. Alyss says:

1 What is your age? 19

2 How old are your parents? Mother – 39 Father – 39

3 Why are you here? I really enjoy reading your opinions on eating disorders, helps make me think…

9. Nats says:

1 What is your age? 21

2 How old are your parents? mum 42, dad 46

3Â Why are you here? To get help and understanding from good people who understand without encouraging me to get worse.

4Â How did you find mamaVISION.com?
    d) Googled pro ana

5Â If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

6Â If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:

7Â If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

10. Gemma says:

1. 15

2. My mum is 45, My dad is 43.

3. I’m here because, even though I still have my eating disorder, I feel you are inspirational and can always relate to your posts.

4. Youtube

5. My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

6. N/A

7. I want to be thin because: c) My mother/father’s expectations or pressure

8. b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.

xx

11. Christy says:

1 What is your age? 24

2 How old are your parents? mother-46; father-49

3 Why are you here?
    For several reasons. I find your cause inspiring; I have developed friendships on your blog; This blog serves as a support system for me

I want to be thin because: N/A

12. Hgae says:

1 What is your age? 14 and a half

2 How old are your parents? dad-47, mum-42

3 Why are you here? because i need support

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? b

a) word of mouth

c) ProAna forum

d) Googled pro ana

e) other

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: a

6 If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is: d)

13. Hgae says:

mum – 42
    dad- 47

i need support

d) Other

7) i didn’t answer with “b”

SORRY
    this way it’s more clear

14. Angie says:

1 What is your age? 19

2 How old are your parents? My mom’s 49, and my bio father is 45. My stepdad is the same age as my bio father.

3 Why are you here? I dunno. Where is “here”? I’m not sure of my purpose on Earth yet. As for mamaVISION, I guess I’m here because I’m sick and tired of diet sites telling me to lose weight.

e: I followed a link from JunkfoodScience

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

I actually don’t know. I guess b.

b) Guilt or shame

I didn’t answer with A, but I’m just so embarassed to be out in public. I feel like everyone’s looking at me, my mom’s ashamed of me. I was called a “fat moron” by my aunt just yesterday…

c) My mother/father’s expectations or pressure

Both of these. My best friend’s little sister makes fun of me all the time for being “a fatass”. Like, I wore a corset once and she said “Wow. I thought you had to already be skinny to wear something like that. I guess it’s just to wear it and look any good.”

I think that women can be big and beautiful, and true beauty is from the inside. Now I just wish I could apply that to my own life.

15. Alexa says:

1 What is your age? 24

2 How old are your parents? mOM 44, DAD 46

3 Why are you here? I DONT REALLY KNOW…

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? C) PRO ANA FORUM

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: B) MY EATING DISORDER IS DUE TO MY PERSONAL DESIRE TO BE THIN

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

I want to be thin because: E) OTHER.

A) NOTHING I DONT CARE COMPARE MY SELF TO MODELS…EVEN WHEN THERE’S MANY PEOPLE TELLING ME THAT I SHOULD BE MODELING… (DONT UNDESTAND WHY)

16. karen says:

2 How old are your parents? 56 and 58

3 Why are you here?
    I find the material presented interesting being that I used to visit many pro-ana sites
    and I am now in the process of recovery.

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:

d) Other: all of the above

I want to be thin because:

e) Other: it is something I have yet to conquer.

17. Gabi says:

1) 19

2) mother 51 and father 54

3) i dont know anymore

4) you tube

5) a, b and c

6) a, b, c and d

7) c, d and e

8) b

18. kay says:

1. 21

2. mother 40, step-dad 43

3. Here because this site offers support and understanding, and does not have a sense of competition, genuine love and kindness flourish here

4. youtube

5. A

6. A & C

8. Unfortunately B

19. danielle says:

1 What is your age?
    17…but I’ll be 18 in TWO days. (Eep!)

2 How old are your parents?
    Father is 48. Mother is 47.

3 Why are you here?
    Because MamaV is my hero.

All of the above.

7 N/A

20. Paige says:

Both 38.

3 Why are you here?

Because I think that you are a positive role model and I love reading what you post.

b) Youtube

All of the below.

a) My eating disorder is a mental disease

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin

All of the below.

21. ruby says:

1. just turned 34

2. mom: 63, dad: 58

3. your passion in addressing these issues is inspiring

4. e) other. found through link on some other body-issue blog (i think it was backinskinnyjeans for me too)

5. a) My eating disorder is a mental disease

6. I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:
    a) Control

7. although i didn’t choose b)…

I want to be thin because:

a) I *was* overweight for my age and height.

8. Models are currently averaging 5′9 and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does this mean to you?

c) it bothers me, but it’s not going to change.

that being said, i am 5’9″ and size 2 and am still not always happy with how i look.

22. k says:

1 What is your age? 18

2 How old are your parents? 44 and 41

3 Why are you here? I’m intrigued!

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?

e) other – Junkfood Science always references you.

d) Other – All of the above

7 N/A

23. Jane says:

1. 18
    2. real: 35 and 36 step: 31 and 32
    3. looking for support
    4. (d) googled pro-ana
    5. (a) My ED is a mental disease
    6. (d) Other – all of the above
    7. N.A
    8. (b) EVERYTHING!

24. CuriousVisitor says:

Interesting Stats. Thank you MamaV. and thank everyone who is replying.

25. PrincessAmie says:

Â To participate, please post the following information (please be brief so I can compile this info easily;Â

1 What is your age? Im18

2 How old are your parents? Mum is 44 dad would have been 46 (he is dead)

3Â Why are you here? Looking for friends, bascially just so i can feel connected to someone…

4Â How did you find mamaVISION.com?

a) word of mouth

b) YouTube * (Tick)

c) ProAna forum

d) Googled pro ana

e) other

5Â If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: Bulimia

a) My eating disorder is a mental disease (tick)

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin. (tick)

6Â If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:

a) Control (tick)

b) Guilt or shame (tick)

c) Perfectionism (tick)

d) Other (tick) -I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is: I am afraid of being a women, i dont want to have boobs or be noticed or seen by man. I want to be pre puberty, i will do anything to protect myself…

7Â If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

b) My friends are thin.

c) My mother/father’s expectations or pressure (tick)

a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models.

b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body. (tick)

26. Emily says:

1 What is your age? 17

2 How old are your parents? 47 and 48

3 Why are you here? because i have a ED and get support from here

27. Me_Again says:

49 (mom) and 50 (dad)

3 Why are you here?
    I have an eating disorder and was trying to trigger myself when I found your youtube videos…and thought this would be a better use of my time.

28. E says:

mum- 42 dad – 47 i think

3 Why are you here?
    This blog is interesting… although i dont agree with a lot that you say

c) ProAna forum

I want to be thin because:

My mind makes me feel overweight

29. sIM'One. says:

1 What is your age? 25

2 How old are your parents? 51 & 58

3 Why are you here? because i’m interested in the discussion!

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? youtube

&

&

30. Gina says:

1 What is your age? 15

2 How old are your parents? 53 & 52

3 Why are you here? Trying to find Pro Recovery sights.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? YouTube

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself?
    My eating disorder is a mental disease

6 If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:
    I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is Guilt, shame, and Perfectionism

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:
    I want to be thin because I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women.

8 Models are currently averaging 5′9 and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does this mean to you? It bothers me, but its not going to change and in a way I don’t want it to.

31. M from Finland says:

46 (mom), 60 (dad)

3 Why are you here?
    I have had an eating disorder for over ten years (not that severe, I guess), and because of that I’m interested in the subject.

AND

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:
    a) I am overweight for my age and height. (I’m not, right now, but I suppose I’ll always feel like an ugly cow.)

32. Cath says:

1 What is your age? 36 (Oldest reader! w00t!)

2 How old are your parents? Mom 72, Dad died @ 70 in 2003 :(

3 Why are you here? Because I feel like a part of me might always be in recovery from bulimia, and it helps to hear MV’s strong voice on how important living your life and loving yourself is.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?
    e) other: Googled “eating disorder blog”

AND

6 I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:

c) Perfectionism
    d) Other — all of the above, plus the comfort-and-control back-and-forth of bulimia: you give yourself all of a particular food, more than your body can handle, then you punish yourself and put yourself (your ED, really) “back in control” via purging

7 I want to be thin because:

a) I am overweight for my age and height.
    c) My mother/father’s expectations or pressure – My mom hated/hates fat, but married a heavy guy and tried to shame/nag/bargain/cajole the fat off of her genetically heavy daughter.
    d) I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women. – It’s not even a matter of wanting to look like a star or model, it’s a matter of wanting to be treated as a human being, which you’re not if you’re heavy.

Hope that wasn’t too long!

33. Hannah says:

1 What is your age?16

2 How old are your parents? 47 and 56

3 Why are you here? So I won’t look at Pro-Anorexia sites. I think this is the best pro-recovery site out there.

&&

34. Iron says:

1 What is your age? 18

2 How old are your parents? 47/48

3 Why are you here? You interested me on youtube

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? Youtube

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:

All the possible answers below +

the fact that I always compare myself to my perfect sis

abuse by friend

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

I want to be thin because: I adore thin people +

e) Other: my sis

35. Emily says:

1. AGE: 20

2 How old are your parents? dad-59 mom-45

3 Why are you here? You make good points, interesting entries and sometimes I come for inspiration to be healthy.

AND

36. Vanessa says:

1. 29

2. my parents are in their 60s

3. not sure

4. c. pro-ana forum

5. a. mental disease

6. don’t know

8. i could care less about models

37. Lucy says:

1 What is your age? 15

2 How old are your parents? Mum:50 Dad:50

3 Why are you here? Taking my mind off of food (I’m currently on a fast)

a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models.

My ED has nothing to do with what other people look like, I’ve had issues with food ever since I can remember, I just began taking action about my feelings 4 years ago as a coping mechanism for the things going wrong around me, nothing to do with celebs or models.

38. Pixie says:

47, 49

3 Why are you here?
    Because I’m working on a project dealing with cybercultures focusing on pro-ana communities. Because I’m a women’s studies major. Because I mostly disagree with a lot of what’s here but find myself coming back. Because I have an ED. Because I care.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com

e) other – BackInSkinnyJeans

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

None of those: because I once craved control and sought it out this way – now it’s a habit.

b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.

Both of these and the last all at once. But I do not feel pressured by the fashion industry to be anything under a size 6.

39. anonymous says:

Here are my responses. I hope it’s ok that I left more than one answer.

I am 18.

They are both 47.

3 Why are you here?
    I watched your Youtube video because I am a subscriber.

c) ProAna forum

and

and

I want to be thin because:
    e) Other: It is more attractive, more comfortable, it’s associated with health/fitness, and I feel guilty eating too much food because it feels selfish.

and

40. Laura says:

1 What is your age? 23

2 How old are your parents? mom is 53, my Dad would be 60 if he was alive

3 Why are you here? for support and info

41. Lo says:

1) 20

2) dad= 64 mom=47

3) I stumbled upon this site awhile back and found it interesting enough to continue visiting.

4) d (googled pro ana)

5) a- ed is a mental disease

6) a- control

8) d

42. Lo says:

that last answer on my post is not supposed to be a smiley face but my answer for #8..sorry.

43. Nora says:

-25

-Dad 51, mam 45

3 Why are you here?
    -I found you blog very intresting.

-b) YouTube

-b) Guilt or shame

-a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models.

44. Joey says:

1. 19
    2. 50 (other dead)
    3. Because i am passionate about issues surrounding societies focus and pressures concerning weight and beauty, and about the suffering of those with eating disorders.
    4. c
    5. a
    6. a (mostly)
    7. –
    8. c

45. Jan says:

1. age: 28
    2. parents: 54
    3. here b/c… it’s nice to have a recovery oriented site to go to.
    4. found through… (a) word of mouth.
    5. my eating disorder … (a) a mental disease.
    6. core reason… (a) control.
    8. models… (c) it bothers me, but it’s not going to change.

46. Kelsey D says:

1) 19
    2) Mom: 42 Dad: 47
    3) I saw your youtube video
    4) B and D
    5) A and B
    6) A
    7) C
    8) B

47. Miriam says:

1 What is your age? 35

2 How old are your parents? mom 59 dad 60

3 Why are you here? i have children…and dont want them to go through what i did\do

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? youtube

48. Julia says:

60 and 55

3 Why are you here?
    Am currently in recover for anorexia

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?
    e) other, the link to the site was posted on thefashionspot.com web forum

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

All of the above… I am about 5’9 and have been scouted by agencies and will be going to meet with some in the fall in New York

and

e) Other
    Even though I have always been very thin for my height, I have a distorted perception of how my body looks compared to others and even though I am a size 0, sometimes I still get down on the way I look

I am not so much bothered by it because my body is like that already… what I am bothered by is seeing girls on the runway who like they are going to snap in half and break. I would support designers choosing to bring their sample sizes (dresses the girls wear on the runway) up to a size four

49. Casey says:

Dad:59
    Mom:51
    3 Why are you here?
    I am here for a purpose. I just don’t know what that is yet.
    YouTube
    I want to be thin because:
    I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women.
    -Personal sadisfaction.

50. Louise says:

54,58

Why are you here?

YouTube

My eating disorder is a mental disorder
    My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

Control

everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.

51. alex says:

i am 29
    mother 48 father 56
    i have anorexia for 16 years
    youtube
    my eating disorder is a mental disease
    control
    A

52. Sarah says:

1 I`m 17

2 my parents are 50

3 I find it interesting

4 youtube

5 My ED is a mental DISORDER

6 a combination, but mostly my perfectionism and shame/guilt

7 I want to be thin because I want perfection

8 nothing. I don`t care, and I don`t compare myself to models.

53. Albi says:

1) 19
    2) My dad is 75, my mom is 49.
    3) For info.
    4) Other
    5) My ED is due to my personal desire to be thin.
    6) Control, guilt, shame, and loneliness.
    7) I want to be thin because I feel I will be happier, more popular, and more successful, and less likely to be abused or bullied.
    8) It bothers me, but it’s not going to change.

54. Julia says:

just to clarify my answer my body has always been tall and skinny even before i began anorexic behaviors

55. BeingwhoIreallyam says:

1 What is your age? Mearly 24

2 How old are your parents? Dad is 56 Mom is 50

3 Why are you here? To help MAMAVision and learn a thing or two about myself

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? b) YouTube

I want to be thin because:

It makes me feel like I’ve accomplished something (even thoug that’s not true and I know I have done a lot in my life thus far)

56. Anon says:

1 What is your age? Seventeen.

2 How old are your parents? Forty two

3 Why are you here? Great information & Interesting opinions.

c) ProAna forum

N/A

57. Amber says:

1 What is your age?13

2 How old are your parents? moms 28, never met my father, have no clue about him

3 Why are you here? Cus your awesome, and i wanted support

I want to be thin because:

a) I am overweight for my age and height. I looklike i am but im not, doctor says i could do with 5lbs…

a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models.

Caused by bulling and my parents (aka, mom and grandma, as i said, no father)

Thank you!

mamaV

58. Niika says:

1 What is your age?: 21.

2 How old are your parents?: 45.

3 Why are you here?: I have always appreciated how you actually have sympathy for people with EDs instead of being a logical prat who just gives you a weird look and asks “Well, why don’t you just get treatment and get better, then?” I also like that you are an advocate for ED issues as well as modelling issues.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?: I’ll be honest… I don’t remember. I think it was through a user who linked to you on Blogger.

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

I’d say it’s some combination of both. I really feel like I WANT to be thin, you know, but I also have pretty much all of the common psychological characteristics for someone with an ED. Half the time I’ve thought I was promoting myself as A when I was really actually B. For now, though, I’d say it’s pretty much all B.

a) I am overweight for my age and height.

I used to be truly medically overweight. I’m not medically overweight now, but I have a few problem areas and keep thinking that if I lost weight, those problem areas would at least be better if not fully fixed.

e) Other: I dislike being judged by skinnier people because I am fat, have “let myself go”, etc. I also feel like my fellow EDed friends will not respect me if I am not thin… which sounds strange, but that’s how I feel. I feel like I have to prove myself to everyone, and being thinner will make them judge and dislike me less.

c) it bothers me, but its not going to change.

The thing is, I know I can have a body as thin as a model’s, or almost as thin, but my figure will never actually look like that, because I will never be tall and never have that body type.

59. vinnie says:

1 19

2 56 and 54

3 Your posts struck me as interesting me the first time I read them and I like that you are trying to reach a wide audience. Adressing an issue that gets shoved under the rug. Its a very real thing and I think because people get silenced about it or dont get the help they need they turn to more negative forums I dig this because it is a positive forum but with a real perspective. That’s how things should be. Adressed from a perspective people can get on bored with sometimes theyll agree sometimes they wont but its a human approach. Nicely done.

e) other

a) and b

b)

e) Other

( i’m abstaining from question 8 because I dont agree with any of the posted options hope thats ok. of course I compare myself to models. I compare myself to anything with 2 legs, but to me its buisness. You cant handle the heat stay out of the kitchen. Clothes look better on bodys that are meant to be used as hangers, but building a society where we influece women to believe that they should replicate this that is a problem for me. yeah might be hated for saying but thats how I feel like nobody cracks down on magazines for not giving sound dieting advive or saying lose 7 pounds in a week. its the combinations of media influences the fuels the thin ideal not just women rocking a 00.)

60. Treacle531 says:

5) A Mental Disease
    6) A Control
    8) D

62. Emma says:

52 [Father] & 44 [Mother]

3 Why are you here?
    Because I like the way you tell the truth.

63. Monica says:

1) Age: 31 years old (32 in less than a week)

2) Parents’ ages: Dad 55, Mom 51

3) Why are you here? To keep my mind open to the idea of recovery (I currently choose not to try recovery), gain important information (not tips or anything) about anorexia and research about eating disorders, read any personal stories relating to anorexia and particularly recovery success stories, and ED news type stuff.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? YouTube

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: a) My eating disorder is a mental disease

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:
    b) Guilt or shame (although perfectionism is also an issue for me, I would say guilt and shame is a bigger contributing factor to my ED)

I want to be thin because:

e) Other (I wish to have a body that few men find sexually appealing, as a way to protect myself from sexual violence)

a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models. (I’m petite but also a size zero, and I’m proud of that…. this answer isn’t entirely accurate though. I don’t compare myself to models but I do support efforts to pressure the fashion industry to change)

64. Deanna says:

1 What is your age? 25

2 How old are your parents? 50’s

3 Why are you here? On this earth? lol jk Well im on this site because i recently realized that i am still in major denial about my eating disorder and the only one who doesn’t see it is me. Im an otherwise passionate and spiritual but of course very emotional being. Anorexia is a scar from the trauma of my childhood which i have not been able to heal. I am hear to assess how at risk i truly am, and whether or not i need to take action today.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? YOUTUBE yaay for youtube

a) word of mouth

b) YouTube: yes

c) ProAna forum

d) Googled pro ana

e) other

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: Im anorexic

a) My eating disorder is a mental disease yes

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin. not anymore, at least consciously (my subconscious took over years ago and manefested through the absolute hatred for food and food texture, i even gag when i eat if im not mentally able to eat. I am not bulimic at all. I do not think daily about being to fat, i think daily about being too thin, but i love the feeling of being hungry, and i hate eating, its a stupid chore.

c) My eating disorder is due to the diet restrictions enforced by a coach/sport or business/modeling. my eating disorder was only influenced by the media and modeling industry, and inspired by in someways, it was my emotional state and childhood which bred the eating disorder i cope with.

a) Control yes

b) Guilt or shame yes

c) Perfectionism yes

d) Other a cry out in pain, slow suicide, a voice which cannot be heard, or will not be heard. Martyr of spirit for the sake of avoidance of stress and the outlet of pain somewhat like cutting.

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:

I want to be thin because: Well I actually don’t consciously believe that being thin is the way to go. I used to want to be thin consciously because I thought my being naturally skinny was the only good thing about me and that no one liked who i was. The real and deep reason i became anorexic was a slow suicide in the face of my mother who ignored my most detrimental conditions including of course anorexia, which subsequetally has effected me since it started at the age of 12.

a) I am overweight for my age and height. No never even made it to my natural minimum weight, have never met my bmi

b) My friends are thin. no

c) My mother/father’s expectations or pressure Yes, my mother fasted and starved herself, she thought fat was ugly

d) I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women. yes, unfortunately i fell just as victim to the vices of media and hollywood influence. For me it was seeing pictures in Vogue of the models which made me feel the first twangs of desire and addiction, i wanted to look like that peice of living art, so slender and perfect like a drawing, but now i think I look sick, and frail, unfit to bear children.

e) Other

a) nothing, I don’t care and I don’t compare myself to models. umm wow, im already that thin,

b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body. already do, two steps away from a heart attack it seems, based on anorexic death stats

c) it bothers me, but its not going to change. it bothers me but i feel helpless and hopeless in society, and financially and i feel like no one really supports me except my husband, and even he can’t handle helping me through this, I feel like a doll, dragging along the dirt.

d) it bothers me and I support efforts to pressure the fashion industry to change. I wish that my story would help other girls to open their eyes before it’s too late, and they spend years trying to recover. I went through puberty and never even hit my healthy weight peak, never even met my bmi.

Thank you!

mamaV

65. Amanda says:

41 & 52

3 Why are you here?
    i’m on this site because i love it. i’m glad to see someone trying to put better ideals out there.

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:
    i’m not exactly sure, i guess a little of all. Alot of B and just to me, the only form of beauty is 80 pounds. Everything in my life would be better if i was thin

E. other.
    because i’m disgusting otherwise. because i’m suffocating in my own body. because i have to be.

66. Katie says:

1. What is your age?

-16

2. How old are you parents?

-both 44

3. Why are you here?

-I like it that you seem supportive of people with eating disorders without being supportive of eating disorders. Your posts have been encouraging to me as I consider getting help for my eating disorder.

4. How did you find mamaVISION.com?

-I really can’t remember.

5. If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself?

-It’s a and b combined, really. I already had mental issues (OCD-ish stuff) when I started to want to be thin, and those two factors combined led to an eating disorder. I really don’t think I can say one was more important than the other.

6. If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:

7. If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:
    I want to be thin because:

e) Other: I feel like that’s the one area of my appearance that could be positive.

8. Models are currently averaging 5’9’’ and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does
    this mean to you?

b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.

Also, I am very tall (several inches above 6’) and I really like that fashion is one
    of the few areas where it’s good to be tall and female. (I hate sports.) It’s selfish,
    but for that reason I don’t want it to change too soon. Otherwise, I do support
    change.

I’m sorry my answers were kind of long. I tend to ramble.

67. leigh says:

1 What is your age? 20

2 How old are your parents? my mother is 44, unsure of my father (no contact) my step dad is 40.

3 Why are you here? i followed from youtube

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? b) YouTube

b) Guilt or shame AND c) Perfectionism

68. anonymous says:

1 What is your age? 17

2 How old are your parents? mom: 41, dad: 42

3 Why are you here? support your cause

b) My eating disorder is due to my personal desire to be thin.

note: this may not count because my eating disorder is over eating -with no purging

69. Kristen says:

6) b
    7) e – i don’t like how i look, and feel guilty after eating
    8) c

71. Hillary says:

1 What is your age? 16

2 How old are your parents? 51 and 59

3 Why are you here? I find your site to be the true inspiration that I need, and your thoughts are very intriguing to me

e) other: thinsperation search

72. Hillary says:

also, for the record, im recovered now.

73. oddredhead says:

1 22

2 parents? – late 50s

3 Why are you here? – post on MP.org

e) other

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:
    a/b – depends on how much I hate myself at the moment

74. Emily says:

1, Im 14

2, My Mum Is 55 And My Dad Is 60.

3, Im Here As I Starve Myself And Dont Know If I Have A Disorder But Think I May Have Anorexia.

4, b I Was Searching You Tube And Came Across One Of Ur Videos

5, a

6, a and b. To Hard 2 Decide

7, e Id Luv 2 Be Lyk Them

8, b

75. Tiffany says:

1) im 19 almost 20

2) parents- dont really have any

3) i want to talk to someone and i dont know who, i just want to quit throwing up and i am way to confused about everything!

4) looking at pro ana sites and i found you.

5) A

6) A but mainly B

7) A and E

8) C

76. Bryanne says:

1 What is your age? 23..24 on august 6th

2 How old are your parents? both are 41

3 Why are you here? came out of curiosity.

c) ProAna forum

b) shame

a) I am overweight for my age and height.
    e) Other-my husband is very thin and I want to be a match for him, I also grew up believing everything about my body is ugly

8 Models are currently averaging 5′9 and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does this mean to you?… thaaaat.. there are a lot of tall people out there that have never eaten frybread or wojapi? OHHHH you want me to pick one.. ok I guessss….

77. Becky says:

A: 16
    B: mom is 51 dad is not around.
    C: I have alot of mental things wrong with me, like disorders and i am a cutter and stuff and i would just like to have someone to talk to.
    D: i found mama from a great friend.
    E: i dont relly have a eating disorder, but i just purge once in awhile.. its not a everyday thing.
    F: i believe i do it because i eat too much sometimes and i need it out of my system..
    G:I want to be thin, because i think i am way overweight and my cousins are skinnier than me and i want to be like that too.and i also grew up with everyone telling me that i was fat and i would get called names that had somethin to do with being overweight.
    H: the modeling thing just makes me think that they are just doing it to make themselves feel good when they look in the mirror which i wish i could do.

78. Becky says:

that was interesting

79. Mary says:

1) 18

2) 57, 58

3) I want to see change in the modeling industry. Also, it is fantastic to know there are other people out there who believe there is a weight crisis out there!

4) e) other (jezebel.com)

5) a

6) c

7) n/a

8) d

80. Terra says:

27, in december

2 How old are your parents? my dad would have been 51 this year, my mom will be 46 in december

3 Why are you here? i found this page and like your visions/goal/angry-not-going-to-take-it attitude

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?

d) Googled one of your images

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

a) My eating disorder is a mental disease largely based on control and perfection aspirations. it goes hand in hand with my other personality disorders: OCD, ADD and cyclothymia.

d) Other: Escapism

all of the above

I want to be thin because: n/a

c) it bothers me, but its not going to change.

it means that that i am closer to model sizes than ever before and the fashion industry is becoming less and less based on reality.

81. kay says:

1) 20

2) 47 & 45

3) I am tired of my eating disorder. You voice my logic on many issues that I recognize I have kept suppressed within myself.

4) d, probably

5) c

6) b

82. kay says:

whoops, 6=8

83. Elle says:

Mom: 56
    Father: died 2 weeks ago at 57

3 Why are you here?

Because I want to be a voice of reason for a group who, due to their condition, are unable many times to rationally defend or explain themselves. I want to be a positive influence for people with anorexia. I am a member of pro-ana forums, but only give emotional, spiritual, and mental support, never support for ED behavior.

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:

e) all of the above: Control, guilt, perfection, expectations (not about weight), and depression

e) other: it bother’s me but we need to evolve as a society for change to happen. Some efforts to put pressure on the industry are discriminatory in my opinion (arbitrary bmi limits). It would be nice to see more people (specifically celebrities) refusing to be air-brushed for photo shoots.

84. Kim says:

1.13
    2.mom 35 dad 39
    3. try to find a cure for a eating disorder
    4.B
    5.A
    6.D
    7.A

85. Jenna says:

both 48

3 Why are you here?
    You are so inspirational to me. You are a voice of reason. I can’t talk to my mom about ed related things becuase she will freak out, so reading what you have to say and watching your videos puts things into perspective for me.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?
    I was looking at “thinspiration” videos on youtube and stumbled across one of your videos. After that I went to your website and I love it!

d) I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women.

e) Other- The skinnier i get, the happier i get. I also get really happy when people tell me i look too skinny. I look better when Im skinny and I also get treated better. I am a lot more confident as well.

it makes me feel short and fat. I’m 5’6 and wear a size 2 or 4, and it makes me feel ugly!

D) it bothers me and I support efforts to pressure the fashion industry to change.

86. Michelle says:

2 How old are your parents?
    soon to be 43 (mom) 46 (dad)

I don’t know.

d) Googled pro ana

d) I admire models and/or Hollywood and want to look like these women.
    e) Other – I used to be skinnier. I have let myself go. Now I just want to punish myself by not eating as much as I should.

b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.
    c) it bothers me, and its not going to change.

87. Bekah says:

1 What is your age? I’m 14

2 How old are your parents? ummm… 37 and 34

3 Why are you here? stumbled upon it, and I really appriciate that you express your views about eating disorders without being all “YOU ARE GOING TO DIE!” every post

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? youtube

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself

sorry, A, B, and C

I want to be thin because:

e) Other, there’s nothing that I want more in the world than to act, and no matter if its stage or screen, only 1 in 100 (if that) actresses are plus sized

88. kimberly says:

1 What is your age?

i’m 15 almost 16 today. i was 11-13 when i suffered from anorexia.

my mom is 50 my dad is 48

3 Why are you here?

to respond to this blog because it looked interesting and i came accross your video on youtube

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:

maybe A. i would say more than anything thoough, it was a coping method…

A,B, and C

I want to be thin because:

e) Other and a combination of all except for “overweight for my age”

(all three)

89. Pingback: MAMA’s ARMY! « mamaVISION

90. angel says:

mom 45 dad 42

3 Why are you here?
    to stop being stupid and irrational

e) Other

c) it bothers me, but its not going to change (I consider lingerie models to be sexy + sporty).

91. carrie says:

1 What is your age? 15

2 How old are your parents? 49 and 50

3 Why are you here? because i was curious

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? youtube and google

perfecrtionism

92. Kaela says:

well i’ve never posted to this site before, but mamaV you are amazing and i have slowly been working through this site reading every single post you’ve made. thank you so much for understanding. in thanks, i’ll add my bit of info too.

1. age: 20
    2. parents’ ages: 48 & 49
    3. why am i here: for support and understanding
    4. how i found this site: googled pro-ana nation
    5. i classify myself as: mainly A with a little bit of B
    6. core reason for my eating disorder is: CONTROL (sometimes low self-esteem as well)
    7. i want to be thin because: …i just do. that’s the only way to be perfect (so i guess add perfectionism to #6)
    8. c & d, some b

93. Pingback: Pro Anorexia Mothers « mamaVISION

94. Jade says:

1)15

2) 33 and 43

3) support for my eating disorder :(

4) B…. when i was in hospital looking up anorexia videos on youtube. basically trying to prove to myself how terrible i really am.

cause of everything but i dont think i have a mental illness so much im just FAT

6 ABC

7)i dont no its a shoken habbit out of control

8) B even though i dont no those stats cause im auzzie but its sounds small

95. Julie says:

46 & 50

3 Why are you here?
    im here because for me this is somewhere i feel can go for support and i think it’s good to see what is happening in the news and the world that can be influencing body image and negative/positive self image in girls, and what efforts are being made in refrence to them.

c) ProAna forum

a), b), and c)

7 If you answered (B) above; please answer the following:
    I want to be thin because: —

96. fightinback says:

mamav, i dont know you but you changed my life. i hope with all my heart that you never give this up. I never thought would find so many girls like me. I never realized how sick i am till i found your site by mistake when looking for “thinspiration”. I dont want to die. i want hope. please dont ever stop this site.

97. Askrabut says:

both are 56.

3 Why are you here?
    I was just clicking around and I just couldn’t stop reading. I’ve been increasingly interested in body positive/pro-health women’s issues.

e) other

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:
    i do not have an eating disorder.

98. Jess says:

1 What is your age? 19

2 How old are your parents? mum=42, dad=44

3 Why are you here? because i feel alone and i want to feel like someone else in the world knows what im going through

YouTube

99. K says:

51 & 50

3 Why are you here?
    to help you educate the rest of the world about eating disorders and what it really is opposed to what the rest of the world views it as; views ME as.

c) ProAna forum – proanorexia@livejournal

a) My eating disorder is a mental disease
    and my eating disorder is my drive for control

all of the above

100. Grace says:

mom-49 dad-51 ~>why?

3 Why are you here?
    to see if anyone can help

5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself:
    never really thought of it that way! but i think about things too much…
    so a,b and c

I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is:
    b and c ~> it’s a wierd mix i guess..but it’s not, it is just the way it is!

I want to be thin because:

e) Other ~>well i have always been thin! was a total sports freak but now i can’t be bothered to do anything! i don’t want to eat cos then i’ll put on weight…it’s hard for anyone really to understand.

These answering brackets just don’t do it for me! it is a bit too skinny but how bad, i mean i want to be pretty and nt have a care in the world..but instead i care too much…for anyone to know, would make them feel bad! if you ever feel so bad yourself and don’t want to be around, i wouldn’t tell anybody cos that just doesn’t help!? does that make sense??
    everyday i hope to be as skinny as i was witth no effort! it seems nowadays everything i do is just pointless..why waste energy, food, or even words! there is just no point!

101. anonymous says:

1.16
    2.mother:55
    father:60
    3.this site helps me feel better about myself and maybe eat
    4.youtube
    5. it’s a mental disease
    6. shame
    7.n/a
    8.well i wear a kids 8-12
    [i’m 5’4 and 95pounds]
    and when i see a model thats a 0 or 2 i look at here and wish i could be like her, people point out i’m thinner than her, but i just don’t know i just feel fat all the time

102. Hayley says:

1 What is your age? 17

2 How old are your parents? 59 – Dad, 55 – Mum

3 Why are you here? Support, interest

d) Googled pro ana

103. A. says:

I’ll join in.

I am 20.

2 How old are your parents?

Mother is 47. Father is 46.

3 Why are you here?

… um? I’m here because I find you inspiring, I suppose, but I came across you by accident.

4 How did you find mamaVISION.com?

e) other (I browse proanorexia forums to laugh and/or cry at the most ridiculous and/or sad ones.)

d) Other

E. All of the above. If you feel the need to know, contact me at busysecrets.livejournal.com – I’m not your average story.

104. A. says:

Oh – and mamaV…. you might want to make a post on this site: pro-ana-pixie.com

It is one of the most heartbreaking things I have ever seen.

105. Robyn says:

i know this is a super old post, but i wanted to do it anyway.

1 What is your age? 26.
    2 How old are your parents? dad-55, mom-52
    3 Why are you here? i’ve been following you since ’06, when i first went off to college.
    4 How did you find mamaVISION.com? (e); also, see above.
    5 If you have an eating disorder, how would you classify yourself: struggling with anorexia since i was 5; A & C
    6 If you answered (A) above; please answer the following:
    I believe the core reason for my eating disorder is: (a) control
    I want to be thin because: N/A
    8 Models are currently averaging 5’9 and above, wearing a size 0 or 2. What does this mean to you? (b) everything, I would do anything to have a model’s body.