The Dreaded Swimsuit

The dreaded swimsuit season has arrived.

For years, you wouldn’t catch me dead strutting around in my suit because I saw myself as fat, even though I was a toothpick (the modeling industry does a great job brainwashing skinny girls into this notion).

At 37, I am finally free! Damn, it feels good. You will catch me in my suit anywhere. No one and nothing holds me back. I think kids help, because there is no way I am sitting on the sidelines not participating with my children in activities.

Let me tell you a sad story. Last year I was Girl Scout Camp with my daughter, it was 101 degrees in the shade. We were all sweating like pigs.  The leader moms, myself and four others, were watching the girls run through a sprinkler. Without hesitation, I started stripping off my sweat soaked shirt and shorts , only to discover I was going solo.

Not one of the women would get their suit on. In fact some did not even bring their suits (fearing they would be pressured into wearing it in public). What is this teaching our girls?

So, I got out there (I am the biggest whitey you ever saw by the way).  I had a blast. We ran around like nuts, made up games to play, all while the other mom’s huddled together at the camp site in a pool of perspiration.

Is this a sad state of affairs or what? We are so ashamed of our bodies, even among other women. Why? Because we  judge each other. Women are so caddy at times and the reality is we shame each other.  We are all so wrapped up with the dreaded FAT that we allow ourselves to miss out in life.

I say –who gives a rip what people say about you, just go for it. Do you want to be the one out there having fun or the one moping around on the sidelines, wearing your lack of self esteem on your sleeve?

The mom’s of Girl Scout Camp have another thing coming this year, guess who is the leader? Me!

To taking it off this summer!

PS who is with me?

FUN FACTS! from Dove.

This entry was posted in Body Image. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to The Dreaded Swimsuit

1. kerryelizabeth says:

Dear MamaV,

i’m not sure if i’m out of line to be reading your blog and viewing your videos.
    i caught a glimpse on youtube, and sort of got hooked on it..
    it gives me hope to know i’m not alone.

you’re realling inspiring..i just wanted to say thank you.

2. Melissa says:

You rock, Mama!

It’s sad that they would miss spending time with their kids and their kids friends simply because they were afraid of what each other might think.

Were they saying things about you? I doubt they could have anything nasty to say, seeing as how you’ve got the guts to be a great mom, even if it means wearing nothing but a bathing suit.

I really am a chubby chick, the BMI bull says I’m “obese.” But they don’t account for percent body fat/muscle or any of that jazz. But I do know that I am overweight.

I wore my bikini last weekend. I have fun with showing my belly, I think it’s the funniest thing! =P

Plus, if I am comfortable with myself, fat as I am, other girls will be comfortable about themselves. My friend Kay was with me, and she was scared but she got over it and we had a great time.

You are a great role model for all of society. I don’t understand why appearance matters so much. The more people who decide they don’t care what people think about their bodies, the less people will be making fun of them.

Kerryelizabeth- MamaV hides nothing from anyone here. (except her name, of course. :3) She welcomes everyone who wants to listen with open arms. =) One reason why I admire her so much!

Brightest Blessings,

3. kerryelizabeth says:

i just realized i meant to say “really” but for some reason typed “realling”
    sorry… i’m not retarded, i swear.

4. Joey says:

I’m a Girl Guide (UK equivalent of Girl Scouts) leader, and the other leaders and the parent helpers are all the exact opposite of your leaders and even more interestingly, they’re all overweight or obese except me.
    I wouldn’t be so bothered about what i looked like on a camp anyway because there’s no scary mirrors, people who i’ve known for years and have seen my grow up through everything, kids who think you’re awesome whatever you do, and everyone is all muddy and scruffy anyway!

5. mamavision says:

Hi kerryelizabeth: Glad you found me, welcome. Type o’s are allowed. This blog has evolved into a mini support community so you won’t feel alone here.

Have you seen the ProAna challenge? Check it out (link on left rail). The goal is to have women try to boycott “skinny” stuff that we get bombarded with each day (and that we seek out) and see how different we feel.

Take care, glad you are here,

6. mamavision says:

Hi Melissa! I have been reading your posts, so I thought it was time to say hello! Good for you wearing your suit, isn’t it freeing?

On the name thing, I really started off hiding my name because of my kids, protective, and no need to expose myself and them to the world. Now I kind if like being incognito…adds to my mystique doesn’t it? :)

Thanks for welcoming new users, I am glad you see me as someone who is open. I attempt to listen and not judge both here and in real life. Its not always easy, but I think you learn the most that way. I see the world as grey, not black and white, do you know what I mean?

Have a good one!

7. Jane says:

Hia MamaV
    I hate to wear a swimsuit, but as soon as the opportunities arrises, Im the first one to put it on! I used to be a young leader with Guides in the uk before I moved away, and it always shocked me that none of the leaders would take part in anything that involved removing clothing!
    You sure are setting a good example to all those kids, and making the mums realise what they are missing out on!
    Love ya x Jane x

8. naomi says:

i have only one, well, two words to say…

sun block.

9. Gina says:

I just got back from shopping. It was horrrible. I had to get jeans and I hate trying them on. The first pair I got I couldn’t even slide over my hips. I started balling. It was so hard. So I looked down at the size and it was like one of the smallest sizes I had ever been in. I just kept crying.
    It’s so hard. I hate it. I go into to treatment with no curves and I leave with tons of curves. I’ve tried for two weeks to find a swim suit and still haven’t found one.
    It’s so depressing…

10. Melissa says:

Yay! I got acknowledgement! x3 It is freeing. =) I love it! Sorry it took me so long to respond. ♥

I like that you are a character face and not a celebrity, if that makes any sense at all. I can’t imagine calling you anything but “Mama” or “MamaV.” In fact, if I found out your name was something like Mary Sue or whatever, I’d probably still call you MamaV. =P

Grey, how depressing! But I understand the statement. =P I don’t think it is possible for everything to always be black and white. ♥

Gina- Swimsuit shopping is the worst. I went with my very best friend about two years ago and I started crying. This girl accepted my jiggles and I was still too embaressed. But now I am grown out of it (I hope!).

If you are interested, here is a goal of sorts for you- When you go swimsuit shopping, don’t look at sizes. Find something you like, hold it up to yourself, and use that as your measuring system. Then, when you try it on, don’t look in the mirror. If it fits, that’s all that matters. ♥

Please, take care of yourself! Curves are beautiful, I’m glad that you are getting healthier, even if it feels like you are ruining yourself.

-♥- Melissa