True Colors

Do you recognize yourself in this video?

See original video here on the Dove web site.

Our girls can grow up with different beauty perceptions than we did. Wouldn’t that be wonderful?

I can not say enough about Dove. Their campaign for real beauty continues to amaze me.

Get your REAL BEAUTY T-Shirts here.

Are you a mom? Check out The True You Workbook you can do with your daughters. You are are the most influential person in her life when it comes to beauty and self esteem.

Is your daughter in Girl Scouts? Tell their leader about the Uniquely Me program, or consider leading this program yourself! I will be leading my daughters troop through this program starting this summer, so we can walk through this together.

This entry was posted in Beauty Myth. Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to True Colors

1. Melissa says:

Wow, that “True You Workbook” is really awesome. My mom used to get me the “Girl Power!” things offline to inform me of the perils of drugs and things like that. I think I was too old for them to have an effect (not that I do drugs, just seeing addicts is enough anti-drug for me.)

Anyways, my point is. it’s a great thing to have if you get it earlier enough. Don’t wait forever to have those talks with your daughters! ♥

Always Listening,
    -♥-Melissa

2. Jane says:

The workbook is great, i just hope that more people will come to realise the importance of instilling confidence, self-worth etc into their children at a younger age. I, like Melissa, had this sort of thing given to me when I was too old to particularly care. I think that if parents and people in authority spoke about issues like this to a younger audience they would take it far more to heart than an older youths do. However, we still have tendency in to believe “out of sight, out of mind.” which seems to make it so much harder!
    Jane x

3. Joey says:

Thanks for all this!!!
    There’s so much that can be done.
    I’m a Girl Guide (the UK equivalent of Girl Scouts) leader so I may see if I can do something like the Uniquely Me program with my girls. They don’t appear very effected by body image problems yet, but helping prepare them for the turbulance of teenage years will be wonderful :)

4. Laura says:

I saw this shirt at theonion.com and it made me mad. Why does anyone think that’s funny?

5. Chelsey says:

I am not sur how I even came across your website, but I have read all of your posts, and I would like to say ‘Thank You’. Thank you for speaking up for those of us that feel silenced. I am 19 years old and have had an eating disorder for nearly 7 years now. It’s a very lonely place to be, and I often ask myself “how many friends can you possibly have when you are constantly lying and hiding things from them”. This disease is hell, and I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Thank you for speaking out for me, I appreciate it more than you could know.

6. Laura says:

Hey Mama, I know you are super busy and you get tons of mail and comments everyday…so I feel badly asking…but is there anyway to for me to write to you without it being on public display?

7. Melissa says:

I would also like to speak with you privately, MamaV.

Not really “privately” just slightly off-topic things? I feel strange asking questions or making comments that have nothing to do with the post. x.x

Can’t wait for your next post!

-♥-Melissa

8. RachelD says:

It seems odd to write to a stranger, but I feel rather compelled to do so. Ironically, I found your site from a link in a proana message board. At first I read your post on proana avatars and became a little indignant–hearing negative remarks about proana tends to ruffle my feathers because so often these remarks are made by people who have no personal experience with the eating disordered world. They garner their opinions from others and rather than proposing real solutions they say “Go eat a cheeseburger.”

I look like a normal, healthy person but I’ve struggled with an eating disorder for 8 years and was officially deemed EDNOS in college. I know that blaming others for my situation is immature and can do no ultimate good, but at the same time I am aware that that the environment created by my mother contributed in no small way to this disorder.

Because of this personal knowledge of the influence that a mother can have upon her daughter, I am desperate to stop the cycle. I can bear with this disorder if I must, but I desire to do everything humanly possible to protect my nieces and my future children. I came to your website with a jaundiced eye, but after reading your story and many posts in your blog I found a true respect for your determination to keep daughters safe—your own and that of others. I hope that if I am blessed with children that I can be the type of mother that you are striving to be.

9. Chelsey says:

I too would like to talk privately, if that’s okay.