Ignorance is bliss to SuperModel Gisele

2007_01_19t132453_450×296_us_brazil_models_gisele.jpg

SuperModel Gisele Bundchen let her ignorance shine earlier this week when she posed as a spokesperson for anorexia.

Weak families apparently are causing girls to become anorexic, spouted this Victoria’s Secret genius “I never suffered from this problem (anorexia) because I had a very strong family base. Parents are responsible, not the fashion industry.”

As my high school teacher Mr. Bandettini once told me “Be careful of those who base their world view, on their own personal experience.”

The National Eating Disorder’s Association was quick to respond to Bundchen’s arrogant remarks, and dispelled her inaccurate claims in order to send a clear message – families are NOT responsible for eating disorders.

For the record, anorexia is classified as a brain disorder. In a landmark announcement October 2006, Thomas R. Insel, M.D, Director of The National Institute of Mental Heath states “While symptoms are behavioral, this illness has a biological core, with genetic components, changes in brain activity, and neural pathways currently under study.”

Note to Gisele: Please stick to walking silently down the runway, and keep your mouth closed until you do your homework. Your comments are a slap in the face to the millions of girls suffering with eating disorders, not to mention your native country of Brazil, still in morning over the loss of these two young, precious lives.

ana_reston.jpgr955233776.jpg

Brazilian Ana Carolina Reston, and Carla Sabrado Caselle, both died of anorexia last fall.

Ana, 21, was a model who sucumbed to kidney malfunction.

Carla, 22, a fashion student, suffered a heart attack.

Gisele, your lack of compassion and self serving comments are beyond me. You should be ashamed of yourself.

This entry was posted in Eating Disorders, Fashion Freaks. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Ignorance is bliss to SuperModel Gisele

1. Autumn says:

When I heard about that comment that Gisele made a few days ago I really had to roll my eyes.
    How can the fashion industry not be responsible for at least some of the problems with eating disorders?
    From my own experience I never had to worry about my weight or was considered anything but skinny until I moved to NYC for modeling.
    While I never developed an eating disorder, I did start to contemplate unhealthy ways to loose weight fast.
    How could an impressionable young girl not?
    I remember the humiliation of being told my legs looked like logs in my photos and for awhile having my hips measured every morning in my agency before I was allowed out to go-sees. Talk about degradation…and it was even worse because it was done in front of a room full of people.
    Actually I was pretty much clued into the absurdity of it all on the first day i arrived to my first agency in NYC. I went out for a slice of pizza with another model in my agency and when we got back to the agency we were yelled at and told never to eat pizza again! This other model went on to abuse laxatives…
    The stories I could tell..
    And Gisele has the the nerve to say the the fashion industry doesn’t have anything to do with eating disorders? What a twit.
    Isn’t she the most payed model right now? Of course she’s not going to bite the hand that feeds her!

2. Bec says:

Thank you for your wise words about eating disorders. My daughter has a friend who went to a treatment facility last summer for anorexia. She is so smart, kind and beautiful and it was so difficult to see her deterioration. She is doing so much better now but of course still struggles. Watching her struggle has opened up conversation for me and my daughter.

It is good to see more people getting the word out and helping to save generations of girls and women.

3. I have been reading your blog for a while now and I appreciate all the insight that you have posted.
    I did want to put in my experience with anorexia:
    My sister has been battling anorexia for the past 5 years.
    We sought treatment and counseling and a lot of the issues surrounding my sister’s eating disorder came from years of sexual and verbal abuse by my father.
    My sister stopped eating, and I over-ate.
    This has been a LONG road to recovery, but we are well on our way and my sister has overcome many things!
    So, yes, I do agree with Gisele that anorexia can stem from family issues.

4. mamavision says:

Autumn: It is amazing how your experience literally mimics mine. It is nice to read your posting because it adds yet another level of reassurance that these practices took place, and continue to.

Ohh the dreading measuring and weigh ins! Was that hell or what? Talk about humiliating. We would have to stand in front of this huge mirror in my pervert agents office, in our underwear, step on the scale as he would stand behind us and critique our figures.

The day came that he said, you would be perfect with implants. Here I am 16, 5’9, 125, not a stitch of fat on my body, so of course my breasts are gone. At 16 my body wasn’t even out of puberty yet, and thank goodness I rejected his plan to sent me for implants. There was no way I was going down that path, just not my style.

I encourage you to continue to post here, your insight is of great value to me and all our readers.

Take Care!!
    -mamaVISION

5. experiencedit says:

I recently saw the remarks of so-called model Gisele Bundchen and I just had to get this out of my system.

TO: Gisele Bundchen
    In regards to your remarks, I think you were very out of line and insensitive to a very sensitive issue. Your statement wasn’t just a slap in the face of anyone who has suffered/recovered/ died from an eating disorder. You spat and trampled on their suffering and their memories, including the ones that died in your country. How dare you presume to talk about something you yourself know nothing about. Before you shoot off your mouth, try talking with someone who actually suffers or has suffered. As it is said in the book “To Kill a Mockingbird” you don’t know someone until you walked a day in their shoes. Your statement is a reflection of your own deep seated issues. In fact I think a part you knows that your industry is somewhat to blame, thus you felt the need to go on the defensive and say someone else is at fault…I can only hope you have at least that much sense to know. You may be considered beautiful by modeling standards, but to me you are a very ugly person. I may be wrong but from what I see, you are very selfish, spoiled and self centered. Tyra Banks is better than you by a long shot. In addition to being beautiful, she has sense enough not to make a remark like that. And she tries to address the issues and promotes higher self esteem among women young and old alike all shapes, sizes and colors.
    If you have any sense of compassion or decency, I ask you to do something out of the ordinary: Think outside your jeweled box and think about someone other than yourself! Reflect on your remarks and talk to someone who is actually been through it. And if there is a rational logical caring person underneath all that superficial nonsense you will apologize to all women for your callous remarks and in the future if you have nothing constructive or relevant to say DON’T SAY ANYTHING AT ALL!

Much regards
    Someone who has been there.

6. Jimena de Argentina says:

i always try to be a rasonable woman and i’m sorry, but in some level i agree with giselle. Family is the base of a good and healthy behavior. If your parents, your close circle of affections don’t pay attention to you and guide you when you watch TV or internet and doesn’t teach you what is right or wrong i think that they are the mayor responsables for all this modern mental disorders. Change the fashion statements are important, very much. But even that changes, EVIL in all kinds of ways will continuing existing, and we have to be prepared to recongnize him. Preparing children for this is the job of de Family .
    I HOPE TO BE UNDERSTAND
    (Sorry for my write, i speek inglish not so good :) )

7. BITTER says:

She MAJORLY looks POSITIVELY EQUINE with that HORRIBLY UGLY HORSE FACE!!!!

8. Junn says:

Please stop trying to portray all models as anorexics. As Gisele said, most have good genes and has a good family to support them.
    Start concentrating on the psychological distress of those who suffer from eating disorders, the majority of which, by the way, are not models.

The root of the problems rest within these individuals themselves, and we should stop trying to pin the blame on the fashion industry.