NY Fashion World makes lame recommendations.

The pressure is on the Fashion world as they prepare for New York Fashion week, starting February 2, 2007. So the organizers of New York’s fashion shows put their heads together and issued guidelines to tackle the problem of too-skinny models:

1 We recommended models with eating disorders seek treatment.

2 Young models should work limited hours.

3 Healthy food to be supplied backstage.

4 Smoking and alcohol be banned.

Ummm, I don’t know what you are thinking but is this a totally lame plan?

Let me see, we are going to “recommend you seek treatment” -when is this reccommendation going to happen, before or after you use their bodies to show off your collections? Are you going to hand the girls flyers on the dangers of eating disorders and then send them on their way?

Young models, please limit your hours. Limit your hours to what and for what? Resting does not cure an eating disorder.

Please eat the healthy food we have provided. Anorexics don’t eat food, healthy or not, so they are out of luck. Bulimics throw up their food, healthy or not, so this doesn’t do the trick for them either.

No smoking or alcohol please. What does this have to do eating disorders?

Then we have the famous Ford Modeling Agency execs piping in with their oh so cherry voices “I think the new Council of Fashion Designers of American CFDA guidelines are fantastic,” Katie Ford, chief executive of Ford Modeling Agency, told Reuters. “I think just discussing it creates a lot of awareness for designers and all people who are watching models and I think it’s a good thing.”

I’ve got news for you Katie Ford, its your bookers who see your girls daily, and tell them to lose weight. They are on the front line of the problem. How is the CFDA’s solutions just simply fantastic as you say? Because you think this takes you off the hook? Ford is notorious for looking the other way on this issue, and I can see you are going to keep the good old tradition going. What a farce.

My prediction? We lose another young life before or during the NY show. But I am afraid not even that will wake these people up.

This entry was posted in Eating Disorders and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to NY Fashion World makes lame recommendations.

1. Jen says:

These guidelines will absolutely solve all those crazy eating disorder problems that models have. What are these people thinking? How many girls have to drop on the runway before something is really done?

2. Mandy says:

What I have noticed is that most people just don’t get eating disorders. I can’t even count the times I have been told to just eat. During this last period of relapse I have been in I went to the hospital very dehydrated and the doctor pumped me up with fluid and told me to go home and eat a bagel. Like somehow this bagel would solve the problem. I am very lucky to have a great support team of friends, doctors, nutritionist, and OA members. I often wish there was a simple answer for an eating disorder but there isn’t it takes tons of work to overcome it. I appreciate all you do here!

Take gentle care,

Mandy

P.S. is there a way to send you an email? There are some things I don’t want the whole world to know….:)

3. mamavision says:

Hi Jen: Isn’t this almost comical? I saw this group speak on the Today show this morning, and then I looked it up on the web. When I read their recommendations I was seriously just angry. Its a joke. They created the problem, their industry perpetuates the problem, and the $ that goes directly in their pockets makes this world go around.

I think God puts these challenges in front of us for a reason. We all have to accept these bad influences are going to swarm around us, so we have to learn to reject them and say no, I am not going to allow them in my life.

I can tell you girls, wholeheartedly, the answer is not to be skinny and beautiful. I was, and it sucks. Never did I have less self confidence than when I was a model. That is the raw truth. I actually feel lucky to have experienced this now (even though it has been a hell road back) because now I know that is not the road to happiness.

You girls are such inspiration to me, I know you can get better. From your posts I can see you have such great potential, and life has so much more to offer than this obsessive ED lifestyle. Let’s keep the positive vibes going :)
    -mamaVISION

4. MadameBoffin says:

I can’t understand why events like this can’t put a minimum BMI limit on their models, like they did in Spain. Of course, everyone in the industry has a big whinge about it but how can they honestly look a person in the eye and say, “fashion is more important than girls living?” The industry is in dire need of a wake-up call (and heavy-duty legislation)

5. Jen says:

Mama- I sent you an e-mail the other day with a couple of pictures of Leah. Will you please let me know if you got it. For some reason none of the other e-mails that I sent that day got to where they were supposed to go. If you didn’t get it I can always resend. Thanks.

6. Danyel says:

I really am loving your website and your videos. Compassion is always a respected aspect of a person! And you’ve definitely got it. I hate how the media sets the standards for ‘beauty’.
    Even some colleges do it! I remember a college I wanted to go to because I was going to try out for their cheerleading squad and they had a max weight of 120! They had a weight limit!
    Ugh!! I didn’t go there. Needless to say.

7. mamavision says:

Mandy: I wanted to comment on your “bagel” therapy. This has stuck in my head since you wrote it. If something like this is suggested to you again, I recommend you write a letter to the Director of the Hospital explaining how you were treated. A doctor stating this is literally breaking his code of ethics pertaining to the treatment and compassion for patients, either that or he/she is not educated on ED which is a problem is well. Either way, the leaders of the hospital need to know. The way you were treated really cuts to the core because it was almost like saying “your faking it, get over it, just eat something.” Just so totally callous and uncalled for.

8. mamavision says:

Hi Madame Boffin and all: I agree wholeheartedly about the BMI requirements. How about we put a little pressure on the Council of Fashion Designers of America? Here is there email address INFO@CFDA.com. Please shoot them a quick email and tell them how you feel. I have sent the link to the postings regarding their latests recommendations so hopefully they are reading and seeing people are talking about them and watching their every move as we head into fashion week Feb 2.

9. mamavision says:

Hi Danyel: I am surprised to hear about the weight requirement for cheerleading in college – how many years ago was this? Which college? I would like to research this. Its like in the old days stewardesses had to weight in, what is this the 1950’s?

10. emilyishere says:

thats all too true. and it’s too scary. it’s so true, though!!! i can’t believe they would do that. you’re so right about all their “rule” things. none of those help. “seek treatment”?! yea right. would they give themself up? my friend is becoming a model and moving. i’ve talked to her a lot about being too skinny. i always tell her that she’s NOT fat and that she should ALWAYS eat. i have to show her this blog. this is frightening for me and i’m sure it will scare the wits out of my friend, but you have to see the truth in the world. thanks, mama vision, for making life for my new model friend easier. you’re my idol. :-)

11. Niika says:

You are absolutely right… I knew as soon as I read about this stuff that none of it would help at all. I wish people would try to really FIX problems instead of putting Band-Aids on and saying, “See? No more infection!”

12. Pingback: RidFat.Net Weigh Loss Blog » Blog Archive » Essentially no food in the Fashion Week Food Diaries

13. Pingback: Fashion Freak Week « mamaVISION