Leah's light

Leah was a regular reader of my blog. She posted an inpirational message just days ago, a message full of hope and determination that she was on the upside of her eating disorder.

Leah died January 8, 2007 at 1:15am.

She went out for a run with her partner Emily, collapsed, was brought to emergency, but apparently her heart was too damaged due to her eating disorder, and it could no longer sustain her life.

Poof. Gone. Another young beauty taken from us because she could not escape the beauty myth pressures of this world.

She is not a model, she never made it to Hollywood, so you won’t see Leah’s life profiled in the star obsessed media. Instead, she will fade away quietly, leaving her light with all knew her.

Leah: You were, and will continue to be an inspiration in my life. You are the reason for this blog, and your memory will live on in those if us who knew you.

Leah’s friend Jen wrote a poetic post about how Leah would “just be.” Take the time to read it today, and think about how precious your life is.

Your life is now.

This entry was posted in Lost Lives. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Leah's light

1. drstaceyny says:

I was so sad to hear about Leah’s death. Thank you for dedicating this to Leah and for all the work you do. . . .

2. mamavision says:

Hi drstaceyny: Thank you also for all the work you do. I just spent sometime on your blog and you have an incredible perspective….the name of your blog alone shows your insight. We really lost a gem in Leah. I’d like to believe she is looking down on us and can see how we are going to continue efforts to stop letting ED rule our lives.
    Take care,

3. mamavision says:

Hi Jen: I wanted to tell you the story behind Leah’s post. She emailed me privately because she said she was trying to post to my blog and it wasn’t working. She said she didn’t want to keep trying because maybe it was working, and it would somehow show up like 50 times on my blog! I asked her to please repost because I really wanted to read her thoughts. Thank goodness she did. The moment I read it, I was like “wow, this is why I am doing this” The fact that she is now gone is too hard to absorb.

How are you doing? I am thinking about you, Emily and all of Leah’s friends and family. If you feel comfortable, I would like to hear how you met Leah, maybe write a post about that on your blog. Also, I didn’t see her photo anywhere (she posted that crazy gnome, which cracked me up) so I assume she didn’t like her picture posted? I am just curious to see her image.

My husband and I read your “just-be” post together this morning. We both enjoyed how you were able to describe Leah’s personality and magnatism. I don’t think there are many girls her age that are that mindful.

Take care Jen,

4. Hi there.

That was such a beautiful dedication for Leah. I’m still shocked about her death. I’m saddened and I feel horrible for Em and Leah’s family and friends. Parents are not supposed to have to bury their children. Life isn’t supposed to work that way. My thoughts and prayers are with Em and Leah’s family.

I think you said everything that needed to be said in that message. Ironically, Leah and I had just started IMing each other last week. She was such a great girl, so positive. She was trying to convince me to go get help. It’s very unfortunate that this world had to lose such a beautiful person inside and out. I hope this atleast serves as a wake up call for those who are suffering, myself included.

Thank you mamma.

5. Megan says:

I am not able to pull up Leah’s post. Will you please email it to me? Thank you so very much. I am so sorry for the loss of Leah. Megan

6. mamavision says:

Hi PalmTreeChick: So now I am concerned for you. How are you doing? Are you finding that you are on a good path and having the confidence to head in the right direction? I am hear to chat anytime. Feel free to email me hbless@gmail.com

7. Hey Mama,

I’m okay, don’t worry about me. I’m in freak out mode right now because I’m on vacation and been away from my scale all week and I’m going insane. Also haven’t been to the gym, though I’ve been running on the beach. I feel disgusting. Aren’t you sorry you asked?

I may take ya up on the email sometime.

Thanks, Mama! :)

8. emilyishere says:

leah is almost like the symbol for eating disorders. that is all so sad. and i’m so sorry about leah. i’ll pray to her every night. thank you, mama vision. this sounds all cheesy….
    but you’ve really changed my life forever.

9. Pingback: Another life lost. « mamaVISION

10. -Jen- says:

Hard to believe that Sunday will mark 5 years since Leah’s been gone.