Barbie, barbie.

What’s a mother to do. Here’s my take on our favorite doll.

This entry was posted in Fake Beauty. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Barbie, barbie.

1. Leah says:

I’m totally with you on the babie thing. But I have another question. I posted a super long response to your Ana and Mia Life post, but it isn’t showing up. Let me know if you got it or not. I’m afraid that if I try to post again it will show up 50 times. =)
    So glad that I found your blog/videos….As a 25 year old recently recovering from 12 years of eating disorders, I find it really interesting!

Leah

2. Abby says:

I just stumbled across your site and I really liked your video blogs – especially the no-nonsense way you’re getting your thoughts across. Thank you for your insight :3 you’re totally getting bookmarked!

3. Alison says:

My daughter is almost 12, and she did have her Barbie phase a few years ago. I let her have them because my mom wouldn’t buy me Barbies, and I really wanted one. On the other hand, I thank my lucky stars that my daughter was never interested in Bratz dolls. As my sister-in-law says, regarding Bratz, “Where’s the Christian Right when you need them?” She thinks, and I agree, that Barbies look almost wholesome compared to Bratz.

But as you said, it’s probably worse to forbid the things. And you can teach subtle lessons to your child if you engage in doll-play with her, I think.

4. mamavision says:

Hey Leah! Still waiting for your post, it didn’t come through. I sent you an email direct, not sure if you got it. I would love to hear your comments.
    -mamaVISION

5. mamavision says:

Thanks Abby. I just checked out your blog as well. I’ll post some comments there, you have a lot of insight as well.

6. gaiarose says:

I am going to have to disagree with you and your readers who think barbie is OK. I am a mom to a 4 1/2 year old and a 14 month old. Both daughters. I forbid barbies in our home. YOU are the parent and the child will get over it. My daughters play with cloth dolls and those neat Groovy Girls dolls if someone buys a doll for them. Barbie does aid in perpetuating beauty myths. I speak as a woman who has battled over and again with anorexia. I still battle with whether or not to eat each day, but being a mother and wanting to set the BEST example I can for my children, I do what I can to make sure I eat, my husband keeps me accountable, and we do not allow things in our home which will aid in giving our children a negative body image. Grandparents all know not to purchase Barbies for our girls, she is a doll, not a role model and even the Brats, while I have heard their cartoon show (we don’t watch tv) sends a decent moral message, the image does not sned a healthy or positive one. Moreso, with Brats, than Barbie, we are teaching young girls that it is okay to dress like hookers at 11 and 12 years old. I am not a prude by any stretch, nor am I some religious fundie, I am as left as they come, but this is something that is going to affect the daughters of the world for the rest of their lives. So what if your daughter gets pissed because you won’t buy her a Barbie, YOU ARE THE GROWN UP (and I speak you, abiguously, ANYONE who lets the child be the decision maker.) YOU get to make the rules and the decisions about what your children are and are not allowed to be witness to. That doesn’t mean we need to sugar coat things to constantly protect children from the world, but we do have to make sure they know, this is wrong and why this is wrong. Please don’t think I am judging you, ebcause I only stumbled on your blog tonight, but I honestly think (and this is something about myself as well) the reason a Barbie may appeal to a 27 (me) year old or a 37 year old or a 47 year old mother owuld be because she STILL hopes to see herself that thin, still hopes to get that control that seems to always slip through her hands, even still, even after we think we have fought, battled and conquered our ED demons.

Great blog anyhow 😀

7. mamavision says:

Hi Gaiarose: Thanks for the insight, I do appreciate your comments. I tend to be one that views most things in life with shades of grey, not black and white. I brief background on me, since you mentioned you are new to my blog. Ex-model, mother of two, 6 year old daughter who has inspired me to speak out against beauty myths and body image issues. I am still learning, no doubt about it. I can’t say for sure I will not change my mind on the Barbie/Bratz issue, but I can say that my current experience is positive. I hear my daughter playing, and I pay attention to how she talks about being “beautiful, thin” etc. I reinforce facts about being kind, gentle, giving, etc. Further, my daughter rejunvenated in me the “girly girl” stuff that is really a lot of fun. I lost sight of this because of my past. We have a blast painting nails, putting on sparkles on our face, dressing up…and yes its ok to want to look good. Not only is it ok, its normal. Making it not normal is more of a detriment. So carry on your path, as will I, and keep up your good work. I totally respect your point of view. Take Care!

8. Mel says:

Hey – I’m new to your blog and was just reading back a bit – but even though I have an eating disorder and have since I was at least 8; I love barbie (and don’t object to bratz though I do think they aestically are presenting much more of a certain subculture’s idea of beauty).
    The thing that makes me think barbie is healthy, and different from baby-dolls, is that when I was younger (and I must confess I played with barbie into my teens) barbie provided a way for me to see opportunities for future. Because barbie wasn’t a baby, I didn’t necessarily play house or mommy – I used barbies to pick out who I was and who my friends were and how we were all writers and lived in lofts in the new york or soemthing.
    Granted I might have been a weird kid, and barbie certainly is “thin” … but certainly not when compared with models on the runways these days.

9. A.B. says:

I wish Mattel would bring back She-Ra because compaired to Barbie she was quite athletic looking and her clothes were quite cute unlike what you see on Barbie and Bratz dolls these days. I would rather when I have daughters allow them to play with my She-Ra, Xena, and other supeheroine dolls than Barbie or Bratz.

Anyway, has anyone noticed that even baby dolls look thinner these days? I still have a baby doll that my great grand aunt gave me when I was three. This baby doll was from the 50’s or 60’s ( my aunt liked shopping in antique stores), and she looks more like a chubby toddler than a small infant. Last time I was in a toy store with my friends even the baby dolls looked a bit on the thin side. I can imagine if my baby doll was a real baby in these days she would probably be considered overweight by a pediatrician.

10. Aly says:

i used to play with barbies when i was a kid, and i do believe that ive somewhat based myself upon what a girl should look like.
    it is good for girls to play with barbies and bratz because it help with creativity and imagination, but i think they should get some dolls on the line that are different…..
    bratz dolls wearing skimpy outfits and makeup and they are suppose to be used for children??? thats insane! even now barbies are wearing the same things.
    i just think that the media is basically raising our kids someday.
    im 16 and i cant wait to have my kids someday, but its just scary anymore.

just keep in mind everyone, we are all beautiful every size, shade, and features.
    barbies are fun! but always remind the young ones how pretty THEY are too =].

11. Pingback: english mastiff

12. Racheleli says:

Hey mamavision,

I’m very new to this blog and to your videos but I have to say I could not have been more pleased to see your opinion on Barbie.

I never liked playing with dolls much growing up. The whole “real baby” with the bottle and the “peeing” and the changing of the “real” diaper just grossed me out. But I always loved Barbie. My mother was very anti-Barbie so I only had one and it was surrounded by very weird dolls I guess my mom thought would show diversity. Even so, I became somewhat fascinated with Barbie and the way her makeup looked, her hair, how her thighs were so far apart and her butt was so small (in retrospect, maybe she blended in with the weird looking dolls more than I thought). But when I saw the original 1950’s Barbie – I just about fell in love. Her dark makeup, curvy black and white striped bathing suit, perfectly curled hair and impeccable smirk waswhat I wanted to grow up to be. She still looks like she’s having fun.

That being said, I grew out of playing with my Barbie and was encouraged to dig around in the dirt, read greek mythology, bang on pots and pans and the piano, and figure out who I was through any avenue possible. It’s nice to see that you, too, are the kind of mother who believes in playtime as playtime, who recognizes that the simple things certainly can make an impact, but that sometimes things that are fun are just that – fun.

Rock on.