Model Envy

The anorexic images in the media appear to have driven another young girl to starve herself to death.

At 22, Carla Sobrado Casalle, was studying for a degree in fashion, when she suffered a heart attack. And then another, that finally killed her.

This young Brazilian followed in the anorexic footsteps of Ana Carolina Reston, another Brazilian girl, who happened to be a model. Ana died just two days before Carla. In her case, it was her kidneys that failed her.

How many girls will die from anorexia, and remain nameless and faceless? After all you need to be a beauty, or a star, or be in someway associated with this elite group to even be given the time of day in the news.

This is why Lauren Greenfield’s documentary THIN is so important. She profiles regular girls struggling through treatment. The group profiled is representative of hundreds more across this country, and around the world who are dying to be thin. They are literally dying to be thin ladies. But then again, aren’t you?

Analyze your own self esteem.

Don’t underestimate the influence you have on the girls in your life.

Stop chasing the thin vision of yourself and start enjoying the skin you are in.

I know, I know. easy to say, hard to do. But it can be done.

Either we start now, or we keep burying our girls.

“The fear of being fat is so overwhelming that young girls have indicated in surveys that they are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of cancer, nuclear war or losing their parents.” Lisa Berzins, Dying to be thin.

Eating disorders hotline

This entry was posted in Eating Disorders, Model Misery. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Model Envy

1. Alison says:

Body image is such a hard thing to control. I just wrote about my own struggle today. Luckily, I didn’t develop an eating disorder.

My daughter is 11, and when I look at her I think “Thank God she wasn’t built like me.” How sad is that? She’s long and lean, like her aunt. I am very careful what I say to her, though, because I don’t want her to get a complex of any kind.

2. kay says:

i can completely relate to that …although my disorder did not start because of a super-model, i continously use images of emaciated fashionistas to fuel my disorder. I have subscribed to vogue, and all of the french couture magazines because i know they will have very thin girls in there for me to gauge my progress by. It sounds so dumb, but yet i do it anyway. Hopefully there will be a day when i see the stupidity in it enough to quit.

3. mamavision says:

Thanks for your comment Alison, I appreciate your honesty. Your thought towards your daughter is actually quite loving, since you want the best in life for her. You know as a woman she will have it easier if she is long and lean. Sad, but a true reality we have to face if we ever are to escape it.

Here’s something to think about. I am long and lean. I didn’t escape the pressures, likely because I was in the modeling industry….but even now I am bombarded just like the rest of us so I had to come to a place within my self where I was at peace. Others could surely look at me and say “She has it made! If only I was that size., I would be happy” Well. guess what? There is always someone prettier, skinnier and younger waiting around the corner, so the chase never, never ends… unless you are able to end it within yourself. I am SO happy to say I am there today, at 37 and a mom. Thank goodness, because nothing means more to me than being a good role model to my children.

4. Pingback: CELEBRITY SATAN. COM » The Death Of Carla Sobrado Casalle

5. Carla says:

I have anorexia, it is an awfull,awfull,disease.
    People don’t know the truth of what we ‘really’do and what goes through our minds constantly.It takes up our WHOLE life.
    And most importantly, not much has changed in health care about this situation,even since the NATION WIDE mark of Karen Carpenters untimely unexpected death.
    Carla is a fallen hero just like Karen Carpenter & Christy Henrich!
    I mean really,how many have to die before actions on this subject matter are taken?

I was once told by a talent agent, at 5’4 100lbs,i was too fat. He wanted me to go on a 200 cal a day diet!
    I look back now and wish i could turn back time!!!

My Whole HEART goes out to Carla’s parents, friends,family
    She is definetly an angel in heaven!

6. Jazz says:

I’m Jazz and eleven years of age. I defineatly believe that people don’t know what goes through our minds constantly and what we do. Anorexia/eating disorders does take up our whole life. To think of a voice in your mind that is always there would take your life.. sounds unbelievable, yet true.

7. mia says:

i have anorexia, for 4 years now. i hate it more than anything… i look at these girls that are dying and its horrible, it scares me so much that one day that might be me. im currently getting treatment and trying my hardest to recover. thankyou for writing this, it really opens my eyes.

8. Pingback: Ignorance is bliss to SuperModel Gisele | Body Image Activist, Eating Disorders mamaVISION

9. heart attack is very common these days, it is because of a high fat diet and lack of exercise ;.’

10. Starr says:

BION I’m impesserd! Cool post!